Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2003, 07:02 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Thought I ought to say hello and stop lurking the site

Hello to all. I have been generally lurking around the site for quite a while now, but decided to register and take part. Have a couple of SVX's in the family and know that they are motorings greatest secret. Unfortunately I have mine being serviced at the moment after small problem (the "check engine light" and probably an O2 sensor problem) but should be back on road shortly. I will watch the site for any drive days that may be organised and try to get there. Cheers. Mark.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi Mark and welcome!

A couple of SVX's???

We had 4 SVX's meet for pizza last night..would have been great to have you along and the 02 sensor was discussed...I'll let Pylon500 tell you about it (a lot cheaper than having Subaru do it)

So tell us a bit about your collection of SVX's!!

Oh.....a 5 litre CLK flogs an SVX off the line....damn that thing was quick....would have loved to be in Todd's car (he was behind Pylon who was next to me who was next to the CLK) so had a front seat view of some 3 way hooning!!

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Hi Mark and welsome to the site. Good to see you stop lurking and start posting. Hope this site can help you with some of the problems you may have with your flock in the future.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-12-2003, 06:14 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Thanks for the welcomes.
I have a '95 (released 96) in red. 88ks on the clock, and drives like new. My father has an original '93 he bought new in silver / black, now with 200ks up and still drives as tight as mine. He has maintained it fastidiously of course and still drives it the way it was meant to be driven.

The small problem I had with mine was a coolant temp sensor which was reading out of spec, which has now been replaced. Things are back to normal again. Thankfully, in time for the ski season- I couldn't handle this type of problem 500ks from home in ankle deep snow on the side of a mountain road at night!

Keep me posted on events. BTW I am not sure how to attach a photo, would someone let me how to do it? Cheers.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:12 PM

Hi

Glad to see such wonderful taste in cars runs in the family!

Have you had yours long? We try and keep track of cars and their movements , partly to stay in touch with/make contact with owners and also in terms of pre-purchase/selling (ie....do you know about this SVX that I should buy OR I want an SVX, anyone selling?? Yes, Joe Blogg's is blah blah) etc.

There was a yard on Parramatta Road that had one kicking around for a while last year - you didn't happen to get that did you? I made an offer on it, he said no, then called me months later and said yes but by that time I had already bought mine.

With photos, you have to upload them to your locker (see the little 'locker' button below the posting that you made) and then voila!

James

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:23 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Mark,

Welcome from even further down under.

I notice that your father has a well used, well driven and well serviced '92 which has covered a goodly distance. Has he had many troubles and or great expenses ? My experience has all been good in respect of my '92 but all we hear here, particularly from up top, is gloom, gloom, gloom. It would be nice to have a few more positives recorded.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:15 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Thanks James for the response. Got mine early this year probably the same one you saw! Will try to upload a photo to the locker.

Trevor, my father's SVX has travelled probably 215ks, all his own of course, and the usual niggly problems have occurred. Biggest was the transmission overhaul, but generally he has not had any real problems. I believe in regular servicing- so does he, and I think that this is the answer to trouble free motoring. (fingers crossed)

Funny thing, I was speaking with a Subaru Service Manager recently and he was commenting on the condition of my SVX. He said that it was easy to tell the cars that are looked after, as they stand out from the rest. (Warm inner glow..) When I asked the dreaded question about his thoughts of the SVX model overall, his response was, "...generally lemons in any model are few and far between, so don't blame the cars for the problems that are presented, blame the drivers in almost all cases"

What he was getting at was that most problems are driver induced, whether it is because of neglecting servicing schedules, ignoring warning notifications or thrashing the cr*p out of a car that is meant to be driven but not meant to be raced.

It is well documented that the SVX has limitations which long term owners know all about. And it is worth reminding all SVX owners that whether you drive a classic sports car like an E type, MGA/B/C etc, TR, Healy etc etc or a newer 90's model super sports car, good owners will always know the limitations or otherwise of their vehicles. It is part of the fun and experience.

Anyway that's my two bobs worth. What do you think?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

I would have to say that, from all the SVX's that I looked at (and it was a lot!!), there are two types of owner:

a) Damn this is a wierd car...why did I buy this? Must offload it and buy a Euro badge cred car...whats that...the &^*&^ thing won't go into reverse...$5000...you have got to be kidding

b) Hail the SVX! My newborn will be named Alcyone!

*grin*

The Service Manager is right, however, it still had the inherent flaw of the transmission. That said, I am sure that the posts that I have put up are building an image of a smoking wreck, doors hanging off, tranny dead and a line of 'kill' markings on the flanks...not true!

I rarely drive it (a second car, 'garage queen') and when I do, its normally at 5/10ths except for the occassional rush of enthusiasm when surrounded by other SVX's!

Should be having another pizza thing in a few weeks with some more people so you are more than welcome

James

Quote:
Originally posted by OZ_SVX96
Thanks James for the response. Got mine early this year probably the same one you saw! Will try to upload a photo to the locker.

Trevor, my father's SVX has travelled probably 215ks, all his own of course, and the usual niggly problems have occurred. Biggest was the transmission overhaul, but generally he has not had any real problems. I believe in regular servicing- so does he, and I think that this is the answer to trouble free motoring. (fingers crossed)

Funny thing, I was speaking with a Subaru Service Manager recently and he was commenting on the condition of my SVX. He said that it was easy to tell the cars that are looked after, as they stand out from the rest. (Warm inner glow..) When I asked the dreaded question about his thoughts of the SVX model overall, his response was, "...generally lemons in any model are few and far between, so don't blame the cars for the problems that are presented, blame the drivers in almost all cases"

What he was getting at was that most problems are driver induced, whether it is because of neglecting servicing schedules, ignoring warning notifications or thrashing the cr*p out of a car that is meant to be driven but not meant to be raced.

It is well documented that the SVX has limitations which long term owners know all about. And it is worth reminding all SVX owners that whether you drive a classic sports car like an E type, MGA/B/C etc, TR, Healy etc etc or a newer 90's model super sports car, good owners will always know the limitations or otherwise of their vehicles. It is part of the fun and experience.

Anyway that's my two bobs worth. What do you think?

Old 06-13-2003, 10:11 AM

Oh, I think yours is the same SVX I was talking about (I saw your locker) - was owned previously by a lady in Denham Court?

Old 06-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Hi Mark

Welcome to the Family.

James is asking you all these questions because he has been tracking every single car in Australia. It takes him back a bit to find a family with two cars, and you are not in his svX files.

Quite a few on here adhere to your philosophy, and that of your Dad. Service them, love them, they will reward you.

James, next time forget the pizza, do Chinese instead. You will be feeling so heavy afterwards, you guys may think twice about racing smaller , lighter cars with 5 litre mills under the bonnet.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-14-2003, 03:34 AM

Registered SVX
I do not pamper my SVX. It takes my wife shopping and commuting to work. Has not been cleaned for 3 months. I drive it when we go on a highway journey and other cars do not pass me particularly if a little sport is in the offing. Do not tell me this car does not handle.

It is as built in every respect except for a drastic problem now requiring huge sacks of money. The passenger side windscreen washer nozzle has broken off at the end where the delivery tube fits on. Can see no reason other than faulty manufacture ten years ago ?! But how nice of the old girl, as it is the passenger side and there is no real problem meantime as I have simply folded over the hose to block it off pending securing a replacement.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-14-2003, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

James is asking you all these questions because he has been tracking every single car in Australia. It takes him back a bit to find a family with two cars, and you are not in his svX files.

*laughing* Don't tell everyone my obsession!!

James, next time forget the pizza, do Chinese instead. You will be feeling so heavy afterwards, you guys may think twice about racing smaller , lighter cars with 5 litre mills under the bonnet.

Joe [/B]
THere must have been something of a hallucegenic (sp?) nature in dem der pizzas for me to think the old girl stood a chance!!

James

Old 06-14-2003, 08:55 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Talking

It's gotta be the pepperonis. They are giving you fire in the gut!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-14-2003, 09:03 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Thanks Joe, James and Trevor for the posts. Trevor, I drive mine everyday as well and choose to drive it as much as possible on trips etc. Whilst I haven't duked it out with an AMG, or an M3, I have given a few top end sports coupes a run for their money on some winding roads ( all legal and in complete safety of course) and I must say, this car sticks like baby's sh*t to a blanket, when it comes to tight twisting blacktops.
James, yep you are right about the previous owner. Also keep me posted on the pizza night, any thoughts of a drive day?

BTW, have read thread elsewhere on this site re: headlights. One question, who is happy with the standard low/high beams? Any ideas on wattage increase and does it make a difference? Who on here runs 'after market' spots and would you recommend them? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OZ_SVX96

BTW, have read thread elsewhere on this site re: headlights. One question, who is happy with the standard low/high beams? Any ideas on wattage increase and does it make a difference? Who on here runs 'after market' spots and would you recommend them? Any advice would be appreciated. [/B]
I am also disappointed with the headlight performance (or lack thereof) - part of it is not helped by having the headlight protectors but even without them, its pretty lacklustre (lack lustre....joke...shine...bright lack of..geddit......errrrrrrr)

Anyways, Blake has changed his lights to something else...I cannot remember the bulb but its a whiter light. If you don't mind spending the money, I would look at PIAA replacement bulbs.

I don't drive it enough to warrant the additional expense though!

Is everyone up for a drive day or meet at Valculse house??? I heard that the pub at St Albans is supposed to be nice...say a Sunday morning blast out the back roads of Sydney then lunch?

James