Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 05-22-2003, 06:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

No, my car is 91, December, but is Japanese spec. The facility to select POWER was dropped from the JDM models later. Don't know when, but Paddles would know.

The MANUAL we are referring to is not like tiptronic, or manually selecting with the lever. It is a mode for the auto box. When selected by the button on the gearchange lever, MANU. lights up on the dash in yellow. The box then skips 1 range etc.

Joe
The POWER mode switch was available on all year JDM models. The switch was below the 1 on the shift console. On European models this was the position for the MANUAL switch and they had an ECONO switch (opposite effect of POWER mode??) on the shift lever. The JDM and US models had their MANUAL switch on the shift lever.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 05-22-2003, 07:13 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
'Evening All,
Just read;
I think the wiring for keeping the car in POWER mode is pretty simple. Before I bought mine, I read about in in the FAQ.
I take it that the FAQ's are in Technical Q & A ?, I'm, still reading them but haven't found that bit yet but it sounds interesting.
I'm beginning to think I may still have a problem with my box in that I can't seem to notice the torque converter going into lockup mode (granted after a full overhaul it should be imperceptible) but what I do notice is that the moment I back off the accelerator, the tacho drops almost to idle and the car just coasts with no attempt to decelerate, is this normal

Just had a thought; as the light for my cruise control does not work, I'm never sure if it's on standy or not (stick with me a bit here ) that notwithstanding I assume the logic here is that if you're barrelling along in cruise control and disconnect to match speed for example, and the T/C was in lockup, this would lead to an uncomfortable deceleration whereas if driving manually you would control this rate with your foot! any ideas?
I did read that the cruise control button is only a momentary make contact switch, so would assume it needs to be selected each time the car is started?
OK Joe, as for the MANUAL button on the shift, I know this is the 1st gear lockout when standard, I was more intersted in the mod SVxxx26 was on about with creating a virtual manual shift mode
Who is Paddles?
My current project is to try to get the motor to run smoothly it idles a bit rough and tends to miss up to about 2500rpm.
Initially I was thinking injectors or plugs, so have teed up an engine guy to ultra-sonically clean the injectors, but then found that removing the injector connectors individually while running did not show up any particularly suspect nozzle (but hey, he's going to do it for the right price so what the hell )
That leads me to plugs, with 335k klms and no log books, who knows when they were changed?
Then I read some of the posts regarding the PCV valve (yep, my dipstick pops up now and then) so I'll try look into that as well
While having a bit of a fiddle under the bonnet (looking for the PCV valve) I noticed a small vacuum line coming off the back right hand side of the inlet 'spider' which when pulled off allowed the engine to run a bit smoother, but when driven made the changes very harsh so I put it back on. (something to do with gearbox sense )

Speaking of gearbox, I noticed two smallish hoses coming off the top of the box at the front. I assume they are vents as they don't seem to go any where, and they are both perished at the nozzles, will trim and refit later.
And now for something completely different! Other Sydney SVX's, had a real déjà vu thing on Tuesday night driving North on Lane Cove Rd when passed by an identical Burgundy/Black SVX
Was hoping to stop next to him at a set of lights and tell him about this site or ask if he knew, may be the same machine I see parked near my favorite restuarant near Maquarie Uni? Any one here?
OK, that's enogh for tonight, need more sleep
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 05-22-2003, 09:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Well, I had a just had an SVXish morning!!

Had to go up to Woy Woy on the Central Coast for work....took the SVX up the freeway and pull into a carpark in Woy Woy...there is this fellow just staring at the car as I drive by...okkkkkkkk.....I pull over to park, look up and there is a silver SVX with 'SVX 010' plates...and a space next to it! Ha ha methinks!

Move spots, pull in...leave a note.

I go and get a coffee, come back and the same guy who was staring is loading stuff into his SVX!! He's had it for a few years, tranny and bearings and visors have all reached our their clammy cold fingers of death, and told him about the cruise.

Off I go....la la la...WTF a yellow SVX!!! 2 u-turns to get back to it - I think it was the fellow's from the last meet (can't recall his name - have it written down at home) but his car was in for a MOBILE PHONE CAR KIT!! Yegads!!

Just once they don't drill through the woodeffect!!

Then off home, the long way via the Old Pacific Highway...played with a few
motorbikes.....I think one was surprised that I was on his tail so close until I went round a very quick and sharp left righter that changed aspect twice (anyone familiar with the OPH will know what I mean), round one corner....holding...holding.....then right.....hold hold..back steps out...Mrs Dunne, my mother, would not have been impressed with what I uttered as I caught it...very strange feeling, you could feel the front sort of grab and pulled the back into line...very different to when I did the same thing in a BMW 328 coupe.....a nice 360 resulted!!

Did I ever say that I adore this car????

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Countess

Hey !!! NO FAIR !!!

Did you go down Woy Woy Road, or Pacific Highway all the way to get to Woy Woy ? If you went Pacific Highway, through West Gosford then down Brisbane Water Drive ... You would have seen my SVX ... if I still had it ...

I work at Point Clare, and would have been parked out the front of work, on Brissy Water Drive *evil grin*

Sounds like fun ... you should take me for a spin (literally) some time ...

I will have to go to Woy Woy more often it seems.

*swirls her cape*
Old 05-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by pylon500
'Evening All,
Just read;
I think the wiring for keeping the car in POWER mode is pretty simple. Before I bought mine, I read about in in the FAQ.
I take it that the FAQ's are in Technical Q & A ?, I'm, still reading them but haven't found that bit yet but it sounds interesting.
I'm beginning to think I may still have a problem with my box in that I can't seem to notice the torque converter going into lockup mode (granted after a full overhaul it should be imperceptible) but what I do notice is that the moment I back off the accelerator, the tacho drops almost to idle and the car just coasts with no attempt to decelerate, is this normal

OK, that's enogh for tonight, need more sleep
Arthur.
The FAQ that I referred to was Terry Maclane's, see:

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/index.html#_Toc482082587

Lots of good info for you.

Paddles is PaddlesNZ, see the post above yours. He is based in Gunma, the home of our SVX, and has a wealth of knowledge about the cars and the markets.

You do have a gearbox problem, mine used to do that before I got it refurbished. I suspect some of your clutches are seized, but possibly it could be that some of the valves are sticking/damaged, and not bringing the over-run clutch into play.

Harvey, if he reads this, can probably give you a good diagnosis on what is happening inside the slushbox for this to happen.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 05-23-2003 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:54 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
G'Day Again,
Hey Joe, still not sure what's going on in my box but ran the onboard diagnostic last night and it came up clean so I don't know

Talking diagnostics, what's the go with trying to check trouble codes? I've read the tech stuff that mention connecting test connectors to get a flashing light or LED, are these just bridges at the diagnostic plug or some kind of device?

Had a bit of a win yesterday; As I've said before, my CHECK ENGINE light always comes on after about five minutes of driving accompanied by rough running. The thought seemed to be that an O2 sensor was missreading and as one of them was noticed to be dented I figured on replacing it.
Initially rang Bankstown Subaru and I could hear the kid in spare parts thinking "SVX eh?, have I got a price for YOU!!" to which he quoted me $495.00 for an O2 sensor
I then went home and fed 'oxygen sensor_subaru' into my search engine and found SVX sensors on special in the States for $91.00 USD down from $118 ($180.00AUD) each but then by comparing part numbers found the same one used on some of the Impreza's.
Armed with this info I head off to the local Subi wrecker and got one for $50.00 AUD
My CHECK ENGINE light doesn't come on any more unfortunately I've still got my rough running so the next trick is to get the injectors cleaned.
Actually pulled one off to see what I was up against, but it didn't leave me any the wiser.
I just hope it's not plugs!!
While installing the sensor I began to think more seriously about a tranny cooler after burning my arm on the outer case, ouch!
James was that an all YELLOW SVX or with a black top?
Must chat to Paddles about bearings.
Arthur.

Old 06-29-2003, 08:17 AM
the Flying Member

The story so far.
Have finally had the injectors ultra-sonically cleaned, but did not seem to make much difference, although a 'clanging' sound like a piece of loose metal under the car has dissappeared I'm wondering now if maybe it was back-firing due to a leaking injector, as I could never find anything loose underneath?
Guess I'm going to have to change the plugs
On a better note, after looking at diagrams of the heating system, I had a fiddle around under the dash and [I]Whallah![/] my heater started to work
Also replaced the missing speakers in the rear, much better sound now
Just for interest, here's a link to a web photo page I've set up to depict the construction of my last aeroplane, enjoy
http://www.pbase.com/pylon500
Arthur

Old 06-29-2003, 04:51 PM

Unhappy Camry Chase Car - kaput & SVX sighting

Well, the trusty Camry SVX Pursuit vehicle has had an intermittent oil leak for some time now - more of an irritance than anything else and required only a top up before I drove it (about once a week now since we live close to a station)

Saturday afternoon we go out, I add some oil (about 2 litre) and off we go...stupid stupid James should have CHECKED the oil level

Oil light comes on..."oh dear"...get to a servo, buy oil....it takes 4 litres *getting stressed now*, drive off...beeping from behind...I turn around:

the best way to describe this is imagine one of those acrobatic planes with the thick white smoke, well....imagine one driving down Balaclave Road, Eastwood in 5pm Saturday traffic!

Pull over, car is getting sluggish to respond then a wierd metallic noise from engine.....*extremely unprintable language as stress levels cause multiple blood vessels to pop*

Car stuffed - towed to a mechanic and I should know in a few hours what it is.

Sunday, I go to pick up my brother *using my mum's Camry* out at Kellyville...he decides he wants McDonalds so we pull in...as we round a corner he says "look, its an SVX"...I look over and see the back of a charcoal grey SVX sticking out...as it comes more into view I see black on white number plates beginning 'SVX...'

"*&&^**&, someone's stolen my car" - I get ready to block it in and see that it is 'SVX 093' , with aftermarket rims......felt sick thinking that my poor SVX had been stolen! Left a note but have not heard from them.

Anyone want to buy a Camry sans engine???

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 06-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
James

You oughta be certified!

You have gone and burned up that Camry's engine chasing exotic mochinery.

Should have more sense.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-29-2003, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
James

You oughta be certified!

You have gone and burned up that Camry's engine chasing exotic mochinery.

Should have more sense.

Joe
It had a good life, a hard life...*tears rolling down cheek* but the spirit lives on in the Subaru

May or may not repair it - we want to go to the UK/Europe next year so I may be better just absorbing the loss and trying to sell it as it

BUT

to quote Cassie
Cass: "you'll have to be less uptight about the Subaru. I am not catching a bus to the shops when there is a perfectly good car in the garage."
Me: "But dents!! I can't leave it by itself in a car park"
Cass: "Its A CAR!"
Me
Cass: "Are we going to the movies?"
Me: "err...10pm session"
Cass: "why so late??? we have work tomorrow"
Me: "less cars in the car park - I can get a space far away by itself"
Cue sounds of Cassie leaving room

I don't get it???

Old 06-30-2003, 03:44 AM
Countess

bwahahahahahaa
James - You don't know much about this girl thing, do you? *evil grin*

Don't you have insurance?? I love insurance companies ... Let them fix the dents !! I agree with her ... give her the car to drive, bully !!!

Actually *think hard* now that I think about it ... gimme the car to drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dad tells me this morning, that he should have sold me his ... GRRRRRR he decides this AFTER I put myself into debt to get the Libby ... GRRRR again.

*swirl*
Old 06-30-2003, 04:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

It had a good life, a hard life...*tears rolling down cheek* but the spirit lives on in the Subaru

May or may not repair it - we want to go to the UK/Europe next year so I may be better just absorbing the loss and trying to sell it as it

BUT

to quote Cassie
Cass: "you'll have to be less uptight about the Subaru. I am not catching a bus to the shops when there is a perfectly good car in the garage."
Me: "But dents!! I can't leave it by itself in a car park"
Cass: "Its A CAR!"
Me
Cass: "Are we going to the movies?"
Me: "err...10pm session"
Cass: "why so late??? we have work tomorrow"
Me: "less cars in the car park - I can get a space far away by itself"
Cue sounds of Cassie leaving room

I don't get it???
Now James

This woman supported you for a long time. [By the leg, as you hung out of the Camry window screaming at innocent SVXers.]

Give her the bloody car, dude. You can repair them much easier than relationships.

If the car is pristine with no scratches or dings, then ding it yourself first, so you will be cool with Cassie when some jerk shopper does it to her.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-30-2003, 04:10 AM
Countess

*packs a hammer in her bag*

Yo, James !!! Can I come visit and see your car ???

I think I would love to see a SVX in pristine condition ...

*shakes her head* No, Cassie, he does not know about the hammer, Shhhhh*
Old 06-30-2003, 04:58 PM

I should have made it clearer...its not me not letting Cassie drive...she does not even have a licence! She was learning in the Camry before its untimely demise and has refused, point blank, to ever drive the SVX.

I am more worried about the other Sydney drivers...who fling their doors open when alighting their vehicles, confident no damage will be done to their door hinges since the adjacent door of the car parked next to theirs is malleabble and will absorb the impact.

There's only 1 tiny dent and some stonechips on the front that was the result of me chasing Ferrari's through Jamberoo and the Macquarie Pass...the worst chip came when a 355 Spyder F1 downshifted through 2 gears on a road that had a fair bit of loose gravel and the subsequent wheelspin as he tore off saw the SVX go through a meteor shower!

Wish I had an onboard video camera that time though!

Countess, is you dad in Sydney - we want to organise a meetup soon so you can come along with your bag-o-hammers

Oh...the SVX went shopping last night...there was a small row as I parked 2 level away from the shops since there were no other cars there

Old 06-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Coolhand

Hey James,what are you doing going up to Woy Woy and NOT checking out Rainors svx !!!!!?????? I would have thought that just the smell of another svx in near proximity would have had you salivating !!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: