How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service
I've got rust in the same spots on my doors. My rear fenders around the wheel wells are gettin pretty gnarly too.
Unfortunately, as Benebob alluded, those rust sport aren't "on" your doors, they're IN your doors. And I agree with his advice: If you want your SVX to last, park it in wintertime and buy a beater. The damage that's already been done is going to be expensive to repair properly, and it's gonna worsen very rapidly if you keep slogging through salty slush.

Regarding the use of kerosene, I recall hearing of "underbody oiling" when I lived in Vermont. Probably not a bad idea, especially for inside doors and quarter-panels.

dcb
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I mentioned this in another post a while back. The Canadian Automobile Association (of which I am not a member) only recommends "Rust Check" or "Krown" undercoating.

I have had my SVX Rust Checked every year since new and aside from one tiny spot of surface rust caused by a chip there was no rust on my car when I had it painted and had new under body parts installed last winter. The stuff really does work. It's hard on the rubber parts like the weather strips, but so are ozone and the sun. It actually drives out the moisture as well as coating everything with rust inhibitors. It works on old cars as well as new.

It only cost $100.00 each year to apply and is worth it's weight in gold.

Believe me I know. There is no place worse than here for corroding cars. Tons of salt on the roads in winter, constant winter temperatures right around the freeze thaw point and very salty air from the ocean.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Regarding the use of kerosene, I recall hearing of "underbody oiling" when I lived in Vermont. Probably not a bad idea, especially for inside doors and quarter-panels.

dcb
When I store my Mustangs, the underbody and engine compartment gets sprayed with used motor oil. (Don't tell Al about me either). Works wonders.

For inside doors, fenders, quarters, I haven't found anything better than Premiere's ZR Rustproofing. It is runny so it crawls into all the seams, Then it dries with a wax-like finish. Unfortunately I'm on my last can and Premiere seems to be out of business. They used to be based in Cleveland, OH but I can't find a listing for them anymore.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 08-14-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds

For inside doors, fenders, quarters, I haven't found anything better than Premiere's KR Rustproofing. It is runny so it crawls into all the seams, Then it dries with a wax-like finish. Unfortunately I'm on my last can and Premiere seems to be out of business. They used to be based in Cleveland, OH but I can't find a listing for them anymore.

Doug
Yeah, I think they're out of business too just like Rusty Jones and all of his snake oil friends. It wasn't that they were all bad, just franchised and very inconsistant, then you add on the complaints, better car finishes and killed reputations and business was over. Besides, I don't think they'd pass the muster enviromentally today anyways. Remember, subies rust from the inside out, if you see a spot on the car, you're already terminal. Granted you can slow down the death with chemo but it'll still be the likely cod.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
There are also Electronic Rust Prevention Systems that connect to your battery and uses electrostatic corrosion control by capacitive coupling.

I first saw this on "Two Guys Garage" on the Speed Channel and they were very impressed with it. It prevents new rust and significantly slows down the effects of existing rust. These systems run less than $200.00.

The Counteractrust website is very comprehensive and informative.

http://www.counteractrust.com

http://www.counteractrust.com/counteract.htm

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-14-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Yeah, I think they're out of business too just like Rusty Jones and all of his snake oil friends. It wasn't that they were all bad, just franchised and very inconsistant, then you add on the complaints, better car finishes and killed reputations and business was over. Besides, I don't think they'd pass the muster enviromentally today anyways. Remember, subies rust from the inside out, if you see a spot on the car, you're already terminal. Granted you can slow down the death with chemo but it'll still be the likely cod.
It wasn't a chain store. Premiere was a auto industry supplier. They only sold to businesses and had sales reps (My rep was a hottie). They carried fasteners, sandpaper, chemicals, etc. It was actually called ZR Weld-Through Rustproofing now that I think about it. When you welded on a quarter panel or other stuff, you spray the stuff on, weld and it runs into the seams. I think the ZR stood for "Zinc Rich". It flowed in between fold joints on door panels when you were done skinning it, ran into the wheel well rolls. Good stuff.

I think I may have found a similar product:
http://www.tat-co.com/product.asp?ID=154

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Smooth Stocker

Purchased all the garnish (cladding )holders today and a bunch of clips - $100. Before I install those new holders I will coat them with :

"LPS 3 heavy-duty rust inhibitor protects by leaving a soft, self-healing, waxy film that resists moisture. Protects up to two years, stops rust and corrosion, provides anti-seize coating, provides non-sling lubrication, 312 grams."

This is the neatest stuff. Spray on wax. Another good rust coating is anti-seize lubricant (Nickle -Coat, Copper-Coat) slathered all over what you are trying to protect. I always make a habit to reassemble anything I've taken apart with anti-seize too.
Another great product from LPS is silicon spray - I douse all rubber parts with it.

I feel really good about getting under all the side cladding and doing some cleaning - it has bothered me from the first day I bought the car and wondering what was underneath it.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
From speaking with body shop guys around here, I'd stay clear of the wax type products. (I have that type on my PT Cruiser) When a crack develops in the wax after it's been on a while and dried somewhat, moisture seeps in and gets trapped thus creating a perfect habitat for corrosion.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
From speaking with body shop guys around here, I'd stay clear of the wax type products. (I have that type on my PT Cruiser) When a crack develops in the wax after it's been on a while and dried somewhat, moisture seeps in and gets trapped thus creating a perfect habitat for corrosion.
Ill have to second that. I would skip the wax and just keep it simple. Coat the retainer strips with a few coats of rustoleum or por15.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: SVX rust weakness

Dug this up with the winter coming. My car is protected on the outside with Collinite but a good undercoating would make me feel better about driving in the nasty upstate NY winters. Krown looks like good stuff but there are only dealers in Canada! I don't want to drive to Toronto to get my car coated. Then again, maybe it would make a nice road trip?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Having spent its entire life in Metro Cleveland, my SVX had rust in all the usual places. Two years ago, I had all of the rust cut out with new metal welded in its place. So far so good.
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-16-2019, 02:10 PM

I have gone through this rust deal years ago. I found the trim bolts were the weak link and had to weld washers onto the doors where the bolt holes rusted out. A little filling and good to go. I also used the double sided tape to seal off the top of the trim from water. However since my attachment strips were shot I just took some strips of steel and welded bolt pins to them and made my own.
In front of the rear wheels is another bad spot along with the sunroof drain tray. My 95 is now rust free after I found that last one.
I took off my rear bumper off this week to build an integrated hitch. I looks like it will be really easy to do and only have the receiver showing when it's done. If anyone is interested in building this type of hitch, or needs help getting their bumper off, let me know. I'll post pictures when I get it done.

95 SVX 111,000 miles