Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Cheated death this weekend

I went to Vermont this weekend to my friend's lakehouse for snowboarding. On one of the off days, we were walking on the frozen lake that had reported 9-12" thickness for ice. Trucks and RV's were driving on it along with people ice fishing.

I went with a group of friends out to explore some areas for potential ice fishing. But I was the unfortunate one to step on a thin spot and fell right through. Luckily I was wearing my snowboarding clothing that consisted of my waterproof jacket and pants, so that created an airpocket to keep me afloat long enough to get myself out. It also did not absorb the water like a sponge, so i did not get weighed down to the point where it would be too difficult to climb out. I was able to climb out before my friends were able to get close enough to try and pull me out.

I was very fortunate that the surrounding ice did not continue to break.

Those of you who do icefishing or walking on frozen bodies of water, definitely don't go alone.
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 01-12-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Re: Cheated death this weekend

That's some scary ****. Like one of my worst fears lol.

PS: Snowboarding is the ****.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I went to Vermont this weekend to my friend's lakehouse for snowboarding. On one of the off days, we were walking on the frozen lake that had reported 9-12" thickness for ice. Trucks and RV's were driving on it along with people ice fishing.

I went with a group of friends out to explore some areas for potential ice fishing. But I was the unfortunate one to step on a thin spot and fell right through. Luckily I was wearing my snowboarding clothing that consisted of my waterproof jacket and pants, so that created an airpocket to keep me afloat long enough to get myself out. It also did not absorb the water like a sponge, so i did not get weighed down to the point where it would be too difficult to climb out.

Those of you who do icefishing or walking on frozen bodies of water, definitely don't go alone.
Glad your alright man! Ice fishing sounds fun but if anyone ask me to go I might have to pass.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

I went with a group of friends out to explore some areas for potential ice fishing. But I was the unfortunate one to step on a thin spot and fell right through. Luckily I was wearing my snowboarding clothing that consisted of my waterproof jacket and pants, so that created an airpocket to keep me afloat long enough to get myself out. It also did not absorb the water like a sponge, so i did not get weighed down to the point where it would be too difficult to climb out.

That is really terrible. I'm glad you're alright. This is why I don't like cold weather.. In the warm weather, you don't even try to walk on water. That is, unless your crazy..

I had something similar to this happen to me once closer to home on a stream next to the Potomac.. We found a thin spot and I convinced my younger sister to walk on it and she fell through.. Granted I was younger and thought it was hilarious, I didn't know the true dangers of the ice.
But yes, she had her revenge and shoved me into it as well.. We walked home with our clothes almost frozen solid... Not fun..

Again, glad your alright..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Glad you are OK Tim. Beware for next time bro...

I will be sending you a PM shortly..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Bummer tim, glad to hear you made it out alive though. I went polar bear swimming year ago with some folks, and it was horrible. I can't imagine the "surprize, your in freezing water" bit.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
My car's Italian, right?

The good news is that my cell phone and camera work perfectly fine. I imagine the lake had very few mineral deposits
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 01-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

+1 for your snowboard gear. Worth every penny, and then some I imagine.

Glad to hear that you made it out alive.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Darwin -1

Tom
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
My car's Italian, right?