Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 AM

Smile Gearbox rubber mounting

Hi
I am only an occasional contributor - but would appreciate a little assistance. I have a 92 model in two tone grey. The gearbox went and is currently under repair. When we took it all off it appears that the rubber gearbox mountings are shot. I have been given part numbersm 41022 and PA 110 and PA120. Anyway I cant find any about, and the importers have had no luck.

Does anyone know if these are standard - ie on other makes/models, or if there is a part out there which can easily be substituted.
many thanks
Jon
Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Gearbox rubber mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Hi
I am only an occasional contributor - but would appreciate a little assistance. I have a 92 model in two tone grey. The gearbox went and is currently under repair. When we took it all off it appears that the rubber gearbox mountings are shot. I have been given part numbersm 41022 and PA 110 and PA120. Anyway I cant find any about, and the importers have had no luck.

Does anyone know if these are standard - ie on other makes/models, or if there is a part out there which can easily be substituted.
many thanks
Jon
Hello Jon

What you describe is a regular thing. The rubber separates from the metal.

For an awful lot of the parts we need it is possible to get parts numbers from some great US sites that show part numbers and prices.

Unfortunately this is not one of them. The rear part of the US gearbox is different from the one in UK, Japanese and Oz cars. Our gearbox is a better type, it is called VTD.

Now, in the Australian manual I have [workshop] I can see three rubber mounts on the rear gearbox crossmember. They are described as the Rear Cushion Rubber LH and Rear Cushion Rubber RH and the Rear Cushion Rubber CTR, which no doubt means Centre.

The centre one might be OK but at the age involved you would be a wise man to replace all three, depending if the prices are not crazy.

Unfortunately the book shows the parts and how to remove and re-assemble them, but no parts numbers unfortunately. However, I do have a plan that I am sure will be a solution for you. Assuming you are willing to pay, as Subaru tends to charge strong prices for SVX parts.

You need to go to a Subaru main dealer and supply him with a UK VIN code, which will come up on his system as a "good number". There is no difference between the two tone car you have and the English equivalent, the gearboxes were exactly the same in every way.

Use my '92 UK car vin code, and you will be able to get the UK part numbers and prices. Your gearbox mechanics should be able to verify that the three descriptions I have given you above are what are broken on your rear crossmember. Please confirm this with them before you order expensive parts. My VIN number is JF1CXWAR0EH002095.

Present this number to the main dealer near you and he should be able to give you parts numbers and prices for the three rear crossmember cushion rubbers. [BTW, if your mechanic doing the gearbox says the middle rubber is OK, then don't waste money replacing it. I think the two side ones are the ones that break].

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Joe

PS No, we do not know if any other car part will fit and work. Possibly a Legacy twin turbo automatic rear bracket would work, they use the same gearbox, but as they also are Japanese we have no way of getting numbers easily.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 09-18-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to isti3223

hi
the part numbers are correct for the jdm version,price is approx.135 pounds for all 3 mounts from u.k. based subaru dealer.takes 10 days to get it from japan.just ordered mine.istvan
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

If parts are hard to find and expensive, what about making your own mount? Take out the metal parts, clean them up really well, and pour some new polyurothane, which you should be able to get in liquid form without too much trouble.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to isti3223

I have decided that this was the last pair of gearbox mounts i purchased from subaru,as i think they designed to brake every year to make the car manufacturer money,i havent had a single svx out of 8,that didn't needed areplacement.i will rebuild the old ones (now out of the car) with something like this ones, and let you guys know how is the project going on.regards,istvan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160288626528
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM

HI
Thanks to everyone who responded.
I have not been able to deal with the problem at all over the last few weeks since I posted, as my wife has been in hospital. (Getting better now)

I am going to a) try to get new ones from Japan via dealer
b) try to see what else fits (apparently Legacy ones dont fit according to auto bax man)
c) start pouring polyurethane - now theres a sticky job if ever -but could become a money spinner if I got it right.

Will let you guys know progress. Meanwhile its back on the road with the old mounts (driving gently)
Jon
Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Hello Jon

Sorry to hear about your wife being unwell. Please wish her a speedy recovery.

Let us know how you get on with the replacement rubber mountings.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl