Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Hater

one-step waxes are junk. if your car is a beater, they work fine, but i would never use them on a nice car. it usually takes me 4-6 hours to wash/polish/wax a car. if you've never used a glaze/polish, the results will really amaze you if you used to just wash/wax. i've never tried a clay bar, but here's what carcareonline says:

"There have been tremendous amounts of advertising and "hype" about overspray clays. Let us set the record straight. Overspray clays have been around since the 1930's (No, they are not brand new.) What is new is the marketing of a product for a use other than it was designed.

Overspray clay is a plasticine matrix with an abrasive intermixed throughout. It was designed and is still the best product to abrade (read grind off) fresh paint overspray from existing paint. This is a classic scenario of its designed usage. A body shop repaints a fender of your car and during the preparation process does not mask off the entire car. A little overspray finds its way onto other areas of your car. This overspray consists of tiny little dots of paint on top of the existing paint. The easiest way to remove this unwanted overspray is to "grind" it off with the clay. Copious amounts of lubricant such as Meguiar #34 Final Inspection or One Grand Show Off are sprayed on the paint and the clay is hydroplaned across the surface to abrade the little bumps of fresh paint from the existing paint. The body shop person "floats" the clay back and forth across the paint using only lateral pressure until the resistance ceases, indicating that the unwanted droplets have been ground off.

Many people are touting overspray clay as the new way to "clean" your paint. This is somewhat like washing your face by peeling off the top layer of skin. You will uncover a layer of fresh clean skin, but this may not be the most comfortable nor beneficial experience for your face. Clays smooth the surface of paint by grinding off the microscopic high spots of your paint, much like sandpaper smoothes a piece of wood. They are the best way to remove paint overspray, tree sap build up and other impossible to remove surface contaminants. Realize that you are also removing some paint with the contaminants, so usage of a clay should be utilized only after all other more gentle methods of cleaning your paint have failed.

Overspray clay is a double-edged sword. It can be a scratch waiting to happen. It must be used with only on a well-lubricated area and must be continually checked for contaminants. If you rub it on areas of the paint that have not been well lubricated or a piece of grit lodges in the clay, you have made "sandpaper" that will scratch the paint."

like i said, i've never used the clay, but this fella is WELL respected in a lot of car circles.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-24-2002, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up

for those of you interested in car detailing discussions, try this site:

http://autopia.ws/forums/index.php
Old 08-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
for those of you interested in car detailing discussions, try this site:

http://autopia.ws/forums/index.php

Holy mack'l, Andy! ...and we're simply nuts for a particular car! 3000 members devoted to buffing! I had no idea. When I was kid, my dad "Simonized" the '41 Buick. End of story.
Anyone here a member at autopia? Gotta go floss the teeth now.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.