How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Radio Wiring

Well awhile back I got my stereo system professionally installed and they installed this kit into the front:

MTX Thunder Axe Separates 6001

Problem is my passenger side speaker isn't working anymore so I have to pull everything out and return it. 'Cept now I noticed they have that little box thing. I assume that has something to do with the crossover or something. Either way I can't just pull out the tweeters 'cause I need that peice.

Anyways my question is how do I remove the dash to get at everything?

Oh and I'm going to have to put all this back in so if anyone could shed some light on what that little box does and things I should know before continuing that would be great. Thanks

Edit: With some more searching I've discovered removing the dash is a big job. I wonder if the guys at the audio install place actually took it all off. Is there any other possible way they could have wired the speakers?

Last edited by IceBlade; 04-03-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: For searches.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

No they did not take apart your whole dash. the tweeters just pop out, thats all.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

i'm not sure if i'm following you, did they install those speakers in your dash or in your door where your factory speakers were? if it was in your door=easy, if it is in your actual dash=why the crap did they do that?or are you just trying to replace the tweeters?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Phil & Belha

It seems very unlikely that they would take the dash out. You just have to find where they put the little box. Maybe you could ask the guy who installed it?

Otherwise it would make sense that they would put it somewhere easily accessible and near the radio. Try under the ashtray, or behind the carpet on the side of the transmission tunnel. Otherwise it might be behind the radio, above the glovebox, above the pedals. I can't think of anywhere else that would make sense.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
That brings up a good question though. How does the stock radio handle the 4 front speakers?

You are correct, the little box is the crossover that sends only the highest frequency to the little tweeters in the dash, and only the mid-to-low (depending on setup) to the larger speakers in your door. A single pair of speaker wires would be going as an input into the crossover box. So each side is one front channel consisting of two speakers.

Does anyone who has done their own install know how the SVX factory speakers are set up? Where do the wires from the dash tweeters and door speakers meet up? Or do both sets go all the way into the headunit with the stereo itself doing the crossover? This would seem strange though as all SVXes had the same radio/internal amp, but only the top models had the dash tweeters.

Just curious for the sake of eventually upgarading speakers and wondering where to tap into the stock speaker wires at. Unless it is easy enough to route new speaker wire behind the dash somehow?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the responses. A little while after I posted this I just went out to the car and popped out the tweeters and tried to see if I could find where the wires were going to. Finally I decided to take out the glove compartment. Wasn't there but with the space I could now see that the wires led down to where the speaker wires go through to the door. So I popped off the panel and the little box thing was jammed in that hole. Was easy to get out but the drivers side one is behind a bunch of wires. Gonna be more difficult.

Last edited by IceBlade; 03-28-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 PM

MacGyver: I never had tweeters in my model (least I saw no evidence of them) but the guys at the audio install place cut the speaker wire and put in the crossover box just before the wire goes through into the door. I'm not sure about running the tweeter wire in behind the dash but the way I'm going to attempt it is by fastening one end of the wire to a clotheshanger and putting it down through the tweeter hole.

I think I'll do a write up when I put all this back in and take some pictures. I've been waiting for warm days though as it's still quite cold here
Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
This would seem strange though as all SVXes had the same radio/internal amp, but only the top models had the dash tweeters.
Mine is an Ls and I have the tweeters 6-speaker setup.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
That brings up a good question though. How does the stock radio handle the 4 front speakers?

You are correct, the little box is the crossover that sends only the highest frequency to the little tweeters in the dash, and only the mid-to-low (depending on setup) to the larger speakers in your door. A single pair of speaker wires would be going as an input into the crossover box. So each side is one front channel consisting of two speakers.

Does anyone who has done their own install know how the SVX factory speakers are set up? Where do the wires from the dash tweeters and door speakers meet up? Or do both sets go all the way into the headunit with the stereo itself doing the crossover? This would seem strange though as all SVXes had the same radio/internal amp, but only the top models had the dash tweeters.

Just curious for the sake of eventually upgarading speakers and wondering where to tap into the stock speaker wires at. Unless it is easy enough to route new speaker wire behind the dash somehow?
I took a picture of where the tweeter wire meets the speaker wire for you. This is all on the drivers side I'll try and get a picture of the passenger side. In the picture the "Cut Tweeter Wires" and the "To Tweeter" wires were originally together. The "To CD Deck" and "To Speaker" were also together. I also posted the colours with the +/- affiliation which I got from Dave's audio install here (http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/AudioInstall.htm).

Edit: This is where I wired the passenger side tweeter from. The view is from behind the glove compartment. I actually took out the glove compartment for ease of access. I'm not sure where the tweeter wire goes but hopefully these pictures can help anyone looking to wire their own system.

Last edited by IceBlade; 04-03-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thanks for the pictures and details!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if everything on the Passenger side is correct as the wires seem to be the same. (Someone may have messed with it before me.) If anyone could Okay this that would be great.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Does anyone who has done their own install know how the SVX factory speakers are set up? Where do the wires from the dash tweeters and door speakers meet up? Or do both sets go all the way into the headunit with the stereo itself doing the crossover?
The stock radio (and its harness) only has 4 speaker outputs. Behind the dash, the tweeters branch off from the front speaker wires. They're wired in parallel. On the back of each tweeter is a capacitor that serves as a high-pass filter. The door speakers get full range (no low-pass filter).

Most SVXs without tweeters still have the connectors below the grills (although I've heard that some SVXs in Europe do not have the tweeter wiring).

According to Subaru's wiring diagram, some of the wire colors change between the radio and the front speakers and tweeters.