SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Alarm

Ok all you electrical gurus out there. Riddle me this: I have the OEM alarm system in my car. Why is it that I have to wait till the interior light goes off if I want to set my alarm with the key fob while others have told me that they can set their alarm as soon as they close the doors? I must wait for the interior light to go off ( about 30 secs.)
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Paul, this has riddled me for a little while... There may be something outside of just the alarm module that you may need for the alarm to work in the L model properly... Let me look into this a little further

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Maniac modifier

just looked at the schematics and really the only thing you do not have is a selt-belt controller. Now I wonder if the controller is needed for a security system that came out of a car with automatic belts???

Tom
Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
SVXtreme

just curious... where is the alarm module located? I've been looking for it for a while.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
Ok all you electrical gurus out there. Riddle me this: I have the OEM alarm system in my car. Why is it that I have to wait till the interior light goes off if I want to set my alarm with the key fob while others have told me that they can set their alarm as soon as they close the doors? I must wait for the interior light to go off ( about 30 secs.)
It could be that the alarm uses interior light voltage as a trigger signal, in which case it may be necessary for this to be deenergised before the alarm can be set. The alarm setting could well be is tied in with the timer module, which also controls the interior lights.

Refer Tom's post. Can you provide information as to the models which have the delay?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Trevor, he has a 94 L model which was not fitted with a factory alarm. A factory module was fitted and remotes programmed for his car.

Looking, the only shared power source the alarm has with the interior light circuit is for the tail lamps, which flash when the alarm is engaged or disabled. This does not look to be related to the interior light timer. I think it may just be a coincidence that the alarmed is timed out with the interior lights. Maybe there is a timer elsewhere that takes the same time to disengage causing the alarm to be inoperative until its deactivation?

Tom
Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 AM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Trevor, he has a 95 L model which was not fitted with a factory alarm. A factory module was fitted and remotes programmed for his car.

Looking, the only shared power source the alarm has with the interior light circuit is for the tail lamps, which flash when the alarm is engaged or disabled. This does not look to be related to the interior light timer. I think it may just be a coincidence that the alarmed is timed out with the interior lights. Maybe there is a timer elsewhere that takes the same time to disengage causing the alarm to be inoperative until its deactivation?

Tom
Corrected it Tom. I have a 95. And Sir Nate. It depends on the year. I don't know when they switched but the earlier years had the module behind the glove box while the later years (like my 95) have it located in a panel in the truck near the speakers. Ok Nate. I just saw your signature. You have a 92 so yours is located behind the glove box.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander

Last edited by CorSVXette; 03-04-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
...I don't know when they switched but the earlier years had the module behind the glove box while the later years (like my 95) have it located in a panel in the truck near the speakers...
The deciding factor is whether or not there is a passenger side airbag.

Paul, to add to the confusion, have you tried it with the "Door Light" switch off?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 AM

Classic SVX
No Dave. I haven't. I will give it a try.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
SVXtreme

Quote:
Ok Nate. I just saw your signature. You have a 92 so yours is located behind the glove box.
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
The deciding factor is whether or not there is a passenger side airbag.

Paul, to add to the confusion, have you tried it with the "Door Light" switch off?
OK Dave. I tried that but it still doesn't work because the "floor" lights still stay on.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Registered SVX
Good Information