Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2007, 05:47 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I've never been able to find the mythical steering column adjuster.. so there are three of them? I know there's a telescope one, and another to lower the wheel into my crotch but that's it. Hmm guess I'll keep looking.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
That's weird. I'm 6"4" and have never found the car uncomfortable. Maybe its the way I sit. People say I sit too close to the wheel but that's the way I like it.
Yeah, now that I found the hidden lever and was able to set the steering wheel lift to where I like it, the car is infinitely more comfortable to drive. No problems at all now, other than I'm used to having a lot more lateral support...but that's no biggie.

Sold: 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Pearl White/Black
Old 04-21-2007, 06:14 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I've never been able to find the mythical steering column adjuster.. so there are three of them? I know there's a telescope one, and another to lower the wheel into my crotch but that's it. Hmm guess I'll keep looking.

Stick your head under there and look. It's a little black paddle about an inch square, right in the middle of the column.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Yeah, now that I found the hidden lever and was able to set the steering wheel lift to where I like it, the car is infinitely more comfortable to drive. No problems at all now, other than I'm used to having a lot more lateral support...but that's no biggie.
IMHO, sitting close to the steering wheel is a no no.

Drivers sitting near upright and close the the steering wheel tend to feel the car and direct it, both via the steering wheel. The correct way is to feel the movement of the car, via the body I.e. the seat of the pants and back, and only after receiving sensual input from this source, steering is applied.

If you are to close to the wheel, instantaneous application of corrective lock is impossible. Sitting back one has greater feel and can cross arms instantly in an emergency.

I implore you to try a laid back relaxed posture and near straight arms. Feel the car through your body and discount your hands as being only agents of your will. In all sports, instructors agree that the implement must be subjective to sensation, input and then decision, in that order.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scott
Yeah, I learned years ago at driving school the proper way to sit in a car to drive it the best. However, in the end I still feel it comes down to how the driver is most comfortable. If someone has been driving a certain way for 10 or 20 years, they are going to probably drive the best that way, even if it isn't the de facto "best" way.

Personally, if I'm driving a car for performance, I like to keep my elbows at around a 100-110 degree angle. Basically, far enough away that I can turn my hands end over end or reach the shifter quickly if I need to make a tight turn. If I'm cruising around town, I'll generally slide my seat back a bit, but not so far back that my arm has to be fully stretched out to reach the wheel.

Sold: 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Pearl White/Black