Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-28-2002, 08:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
A few questions:

I started working on the SVX on Sunday. Well, Sunday all I really got accomplished was getting the car in the air so I don't kill my back working on it. Yesterday, Monday, was when the real work was done.

'I know I'm making progress because big parts are coming out.'

I found that my jackstands didn't fit the lift points on the edge of the body. The stands are channel-shaped and would damage the body work. I tried blocks of wood, but the channel and the sharp edge of the lift point just broke the wood in half. So I have the stands under the front and rear subframes. I'll post photos later.

Here we go with the questions:

1. Why is there an AC hose (or at least what looks like one) going in to the PS pump?

2. What's a good way to get the pulley off of the PS pump? I tried doing it when the belt was still on (actually, I had to reassemble everything to get the belt on :P), but I still turned the pulley instead of the nut. My fnal solution was not a good one. I'm not proud of it.

3. How the hell do I get the main sprocket off so I can get the oil pump out?

4. How does the timing belt tensioner work? I couldn't figure it out, so I just removed the bolt holding the pulley in. Not the greatest solution, and it won't work the other way around when I have to reassemble.

5. The center timing belt cover has marks from where the AC drive belt and even the crank pulley have made contact. And by marks I mean damage.

For the last one, I remember somebody having to replace their crank pulley - I even remember their pulley being in mutiple pieces. Mine is still solid.

And, finally, one last screw from the butchers at Burlington Subaru in Burlington, VT. They overtorqued the bolts on the timing belt covers. The left covers are broken. They were the only shop to replace the timing belt, so it had to have been them. I'm pissed, but it's probably the last thing I'll find that they messed up. Man, what incompetent boobs. Sure, it's taking me way longer to do this myself, but at least it'll be done right. I think.

Edit:

I decided to add a couple of other things I remembered. I noticed a few hoses that need to be replaced, most notably the transmission cooler lines. I also need to replace a number of hose clamps. I think I'll just keep the upper and lower radiator hoses. Both look very healthy.

When I pulled the radiator out, I nearly filled the remaining empty space in the drain pans with the dirst that fell out. At least as much is still clinging to the radiator. Leaves, dust, bugs - it's a big fat mess. Is it worth it for you to pull your radiator and clean it out, like I'm about to? I have no idea, but that stuff can't be helping, so it will not make the round trip back into the car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 05-28-2002 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:31 AM

Registered SVX
Nobody has any answers to any of these questions??? I've found a couple answers myself so far, but I can't believe that nobody knows any of this stuff.

Well, I'm going to kick this back up to the top of the list by adding another item:

I've decided that I want to install my transmission cooler this weekend. I figure that as long as I have everything all taken apart anyway, I might as well. I've had the cooler sitting in its box for about two years now, so it's probably about time I put it in.

Which ATF hose is out FROM the transmission and which one is in TO the transmission?

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=450-B

If I read that right, then item #6 is out from the tranny and #5 is back in to the tranny. Right?

Is there anything else I should know about installing this thing? I'm planning on mounting it in front of the AC condenser...or next to it, if I can. I'd rather not block the condenser if I don't have to, because my AC is a little flaky already and I suspect that a blocked condenser is the cause. We'll see on Saturday, I guess...

I don't have to fill the cooler with ATF, right? It'll fill up and the pan level won't change too much due to the temporary loss of flow back to it, right?

I'm planning on replacing the ATF. How much will I actually drain out, and would it be a bad idea to replace what I drained with synthetic?

Thanks, everyone.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-30-2002, 08:51 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Nick,
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about your sprocket situation. I was distracted by an e-mail I got just before a meeting I attended. Do you still need that info?

Meanwhile, someone just posted which hoses were inlet/outlet, like, two days ago. But, I forgot which one and in which thread it was posted.

My cooler is mounted vertically, along the passenger's side of the condenser. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever with temp change. The temp guage still stays just south of center, even with the A/C on in 95 degree weather. Since your summers are likely to be milder than ours, I think you'd be safe.

If you drain your tranny, you'll drop about 6 quarts. Capacity is 10 quarts (if memory serves). That's an awful lot of standard fluid to mix with synth, in my opinion. If I were going to replace with synth, I'd do a full flush. You could go to a Penske or other shop, or, contact Kuo who has done a "funnel and bucket" flush. He could possibly instruct you.

I'll scan the portions of the manual you'll need, if you'd like, when I get home tonight (that is, if I can fight off the family long enough).

Sorry, I guess I'm not really much help.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Nick,
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about your sprocket situation. I was distracted by an e-mail I got just before a meeting I attended. Do you still need that info?

Meanwhile, someone just posted which hoses were inlet/outlet, like, two days ago. But, I forgot which one and in which thread it was posted.

My cooler is mounted vertically, along the passenger's side of the condenser. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever with temp change. The temp guage still stays just south of center, even with the A/C on in 95 degree weather. Since your summers are likely to be milder than ours, I think you'd be safe.

If you drain your tranny, you'll drop about 6 quarts. Capacity is 10 quarts (if memory serves). That's an awful lot of standard fluid to mix with synth, in my opinion. If I were going to replace with synth, I'd do a full flush. You could go to a Penske or other shop, or, contact Kuo who has done a "funnel and bucket" flush. He could possibly instruct you.

I'll scan the portions of the manual you'll need, if you'd like, when I get home tonight (that is, if I can fight off the family long enough).

Sorry, I guess I'm not really much help.
Thanks, Randy - that actually fills some gaps.

I will likely just replace the ATF with conventional fluid and then do the same again in a couple of months - mine is really funky right now.

Flushes scare me. My transmission has 129k on it and works perfectly. I'm not going to go mucking around in there provoking it. I'm scared enough putting the tranny cooler in. I know, it shouldn't have any ill effects, but it's still change. :I

I talked to Mike Metcalf (eddycat) about the main sprocket and got some good info from him. I'll let you guys know how I got it off and what it took when I actually do it. Right now the thing is bathing in penetrating oil.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-30-2002, 02:36 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Which ATF hose is out FROM the transmission and which one is in TO the transmission?

Thanks, everyone.
Nick, the hose on the right side(passenger)of the radiator is from the tranny,the left(driver) is to the tranny.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:44 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nubs

Nick, the hose on the right side(passenger)of the radiator is from the tranny,the left(driver) is to the tranny.
Thanks, Mike!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm sorry Nick, this is the first I've seen of this post. I always use 'Check for new posts' when I enter. I don't know how I missed it. Anyway, re-write what items you need help with and I'll see what I can do to help.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Funnel and bucket...lol. It will work, but I have read some advice here that seem to indicate that letting the tranny pump itself dry, even for a very short time, is a serious no no. Mine is still running after almost 2 years (maybe longer I can't remember) and over 30k since the "funnel and bucket" flush. It's time for another flush, but I'm probably just going to go with the drain plug method this time...unless I get really bored one day.

FYI: Penzoil synthetic ATF seems to do just fine in the SVX and only costs $2.50 per quart. Much cheaper than the Amsoil and other brand names I've seen mentioned.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
You could go to a Penske or other shop, or, contact Kuo who has done a "funnel and bucket" flush. He could possibly instruct you.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
While this is most likely correct, I'd do a quick and dirty check to make sure by simply disconnecting one of the hoses, run the engine very briefly, and see which end the ATF flows out of. Better safe than sorry.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs
Old 05-31-2002, 08:57 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
While this is most likely correct, I'd do a quick and dirty check to make sure by simply disconnecting one of the hoses, run the engine very briefly, and see which end the ATF flows out of. Better safe than sorry.

KuoH

Thanks, but that'd be sort of difficult right now. Some of the engine, and the radiator, is in a closet next to the car.

I did get the main sprocket off this morning, though. I used a three-jaw-type gear puller. I bought a medium-sized puller so it would fit in between the engine and the AC condenser, but then the bolt was so small it had nothing to push against. So I used a 5/8" socket to push on the crankshaft.

I was not optimistic about putting the jaws on the crankshaft sensor wheels, but no damage was done. Very little force was required.

Still, it probably would have been better to use a bolt-type puller and tap the two smaller holes on the sprocket, as was suggested to me by eddycat.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 05-31-2002 at 09:00 AM.