How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
yes you are correct. I did some probing on my own car and alldata is slightly off ....there's actually a lot more that must be done.

First off all these wire colors are at the switch. I believe that the colors change at the connector. Also, I've seen some duplicate colors (like white) so be aware which white wire to use.

All you need is a standard relay and hook it up like so:

So how does this work....

green w/ yellow wire: a +12V source that is switched with ignition. This is currently for supplying the cruise control switch with 12V. We will now use it to power up the foglight relay under the hood (just the relay - not the high current foglamps)

white wire: the input to the foglamp switch. Currently this is always grounded. However, we must send +12V to it now.....without cutting this wire you will blow fuses or short something out.

black wire: this toggles the foglamp indicator lamp to illuminate when the switch is pressed in. This receives ground when the headlamp switch is on. However, since it's no longer dependant on the headlights being on, this wire is to be grounded at all times.

orange wire: this wire receives +12V when the parking lamps are turned on. This is used to revert the system back to it's factory state. (switching on the aftermarket relay we are installing)

The relay is supplying +12V to the foglamp switch when the ignition is on and the parking lights/headlights are off. The foglamps can now be turned on and off from the switch regardless of the positioning of the headlight switch. Once the parking lights are turned on the relay connects the white wire just as it was when the SVX came from subaru.

Note: when the parking lights are on the foglamps will be off no matter what.

This works.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Following the path of the beam

"Note: when the parking lights are on the foglamps will be off no matter what."

So when you say this you mean when I have my headlights on my fogs won't work?

Or just when I have my "P" button on?

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 11-18-2004, 05:10 PM

That means:

when the headlights and parking lights are off, the foglights can be switched on (not stock)

when just the parking lights are turned on - the foglights cannot be switched on (like stock)

when both the headlights and the parking lights are turned on, the foglights can be switched on (like stock)

Why? This is because the orange wire is what brings the foglight switch back to the stock wiring. If you can grab a +12V lead from the headlights then you'd be able to have the foglights on every time. But this is difficult in the SVX because that's all under the hood.

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
SVX Voyeur

When I brought my car up from San Deigo to Vancouver I had to put DRL's on my car to make it Canadian car as it was the Law after 1991. So I had Subaru do it and they just added a Bosch Relay. It runs my regular headlights at 80%. I can also have my fogs on with DRL at the same time without the parking lights! Was happy about that. On my Honda's in the past it was always the High Beams at 30 odd %.

Anyone change out their Fog light bulbs with yellow bulbs? Good brands to buy?
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer
Old 11-19-2004, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
That means:

when the headlights and parking lights are off, the foglights can be switched on (not stock)

when just the parking lights are turned on - the foglights cannot be switched on (like stock)

when both the headlights and the parking lights are turned on, the foglights can be switched on (like stock)

Why? This is because the orange wire is what brings the foglight switch back to the stock wiring. If you can grab a +12V lead from the headlights then you'd be able to have the foglights on every time. But this is difficult in the SVX because that's all under the hood.
EXCELLENT!
This is just what I was looking for. Sorry I didn't understand before... I had been awake for a long long time...

Just so happens I have a few relays lying around, and the weekend off.

Finally, hopefully an end to this thread!

Old 11-20-2004, 02:53 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by US>CDN SVX
Anyone change out their Fog light bulbs with yellow bulbs? Good brands to buy?
The ones that I am the most happy with are the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs. Directly in front and to the side of the car, they are yellow. About 20 - 30 feet away from the front, they are white-ish. Any further than that, they are yellow. It's a really nice light pattern, and works very well in the fog (even with the 9005s in the low beam slot).
Old 11-22-2004, 03:13 PM

Well, the relay schematic works perfectly of course.
I can now turn my fogs on and off with just the car on!

Unfortunately my questionable wiring/soldering skills coupled with 12 year old wires makes for a bad combination, and a pretty ugly job.
I couldn't even peel back the wire sheathing to make a splice without snapping several wires in half, ripping one out at the switch. I don't know how these wires looked 12 years ago, but they are very brittle now. The actual copper wires won't bend more than once without breaking.
It took me most of the day just to install the relay, and fix my mistakes.

Oh, well, next time I will know what I'm getting into.

But for now I have DTRL's!

Thanks rmjjensen!!

Old 06-07-2005, 11:21 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Bump!

Well I tried rmjjensen's relay setup, and all it does is blow my cruise/abs 10A fuse whenever I attempt to turn on the fogs w/ the headlights off. Is there a difference in the wiring between the '92 and my '94 SVX?

Also, in cross-referencing rmjjensen's wiring w/ the SVX service manual, I can't for the life of me figure out how it can possibly work. According to the diagram I've got, the power for the command side of the Fog Light relay comes from the headlights themselves... AFAIK, no amount of wiring at the switch can get power to the Fog Relay, at some point the Fog Relay needs to be re-wired.

Anyone know more about getting this to work?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:25 PM

In theory it should work - I quickly tested it on my own SVX but not with the relay. we can try and diagnose this:

1) You are using the wires directly at the switch - not the connector. There are some wires with the same color ...use the pin diagram to help identify the proper wire to splice/interrupt.

2) You did interrupt the white wire right? If you not you will blow fuses. [says so in the description]

I honestly never really looked into how it is working. Just realized that the schematic for the wire colors is 100% wrong (For some odd reason) and found that I had to physically probe in my own car to get it working. I was successful but like I said - I never made any permanent changes.

The only REAL important things that must be done:
Ground the BLACK wire
Cut the White wire (make sure the relay is setup where it feeds away from the switch)
Use the Orange wire to switch on the RELAY so that the system can revert back to stock if the headlights/parking lights go on.

Good luck - maybe I'll try this on my own SVX to double check everything ...it's been a while

Old 06-08-2005, 05:22 AM

Having a 92 I of course can't comment on the wiring for a 94, but I was under the impression that the later cars(I'm not sure if 94 is "later" in this case) had different switch locations on the dash.

But anyway I CAN say that the wiring in this diagram worked perfectly in mine. And the colors were correct. They are the same color on my parts car for that matter. Which is also a 92.