How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
I've done Promto Lube once in my life, and I'll never make that mistake again. Had them change the oil in the XT6 just after I got it. It was fine for about a week, then I look out the window at work and there's about 5qts of oil running through the parking lot. Turns out they used the wrong filter and it came loose. They did refund the oil change and pay to have it towed to the dealer, though.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 03-18-2005, 07:53 AM

At the shop where I take my car, you have to walk through the bays to get to the office. There's no waiting area, but there is a Coke machine out front. Heat is provided by a wood-burning stove in the middle of the place. Anytime they have my car up on the lift, it's cool to be able to get underneath and poke around. One more advantage to supporting your local, independent mechanic.

Had all four wheels up recently, going through the gears to warm-up the ATF, and the SVX sounds like it's at high idle. The guy looks surprised and says to me, "Man... it's doin' eighty."

dcb
Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Has anyone changed their oil with the skidplate still on or do you have to take it off every time?.......And how many of you keep the plate off all together for daily driving?
I'm definately going to change the oil myself.
I tried that once, and only once. After almost 2yrs now, the inside is still sticky from the oil. Oh well, I've got pulling that thing off and on down to a science. I just wish ours were as slick as in the wifes wagon. The shroud is even bigger, but has removable panels just under the plug and filter.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
They could but none of them would want to go through the time and effort to make up such a thing. What some shops do here is provide a window to see the work area where the little lounge that you wait in is. From there you can see almost anything that is going on.
this is acceptable in my opinion...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to awdsvxh6
i heard a story about this guy brang a brand new 2005 wrx sti to get the oil changed at jiffy lube and they drained it, put the right oil filter on filled it. every thing is going good until they crank it up and drive out of the bay and hear a clunking sound coming from the engine. they for got to put the drain plug back and and as they drove out it blew the engine
Old 03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsvxh6
i heard a story about this guy brang a brand new 2005 wrx sti to get the oil changed at jiffy lube and they drained it, put the right oil filter on filled it. every thing is going good until they crank it up and drive out of the bay and hear a clunking sound coming from the engine. they for got to put the drain plug back and and as they drove out it blew the engine
I can't decide which part of this wins the airhead award. There are 3 candidates:

1: The morons at Jiffy Lube for forgetting the drain plug
2: The Engineers for designing an engine that would blow up that fast.
3: The owner for taking a brand new $35,000 car to jiffy lube.

That would be one of those 10 day verdict decisions.
I choose the owner..
He took an extremely sophisticated piece of equipment, and put it in the hands of non-certified personnel who.. quite frankly.... don't care.

I want to pick the engineers... Are you sure your source was accurate when they said it "blew" the engine, or could they may have elaborated a little in the heat of recalling the story?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Weasel 22

[QUOTE=Electrophil]I can't decide which part of this wins the airhead award. There are 3 candidates:

1: The morons at Jiffy Lube for forgetting the drain plug

3: The owner for taking a brand new $35,000 car to jiffy lube.

morons! danger danger!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Has anyone changed their oil with the skidplate still on or do you have to take it off every time?.......And how many of you keep the plate off all together for daily driving?
I'm definately going to change the oil myself.

I never take the undercover off when I change the oil. I don't jack up the car, either. Once you get the "feel" for it, it's easy. The only thing you have to watch out for is the fact that, when you release the filter, obviously it releases oil . . . into the belly pan. Make sure you have your drip pan positioned to catch the oil that drips into the belly pan.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollball81
I got my SVX serviced by Jiffy lube... Big mistake second time something they did screwed my car up... I needed a quick oil change.

1,200 miles ago i had my car serviced by these idiots.
I was driving home from the highway from my apartment to my parents house in jersey when all the sudden i hear my transmission making a crazy noise like there was a loose part in it then all the sudden it gets louder and LOUDER AND LOUDER. When soon before i knew it i was praying i was getting home. I soon realized as i got home i popped the hood and to pull the trans fluid dipstick out and what happens?? The shaft that you put the dip stick into has a huge hole in it (the tube) and the dipstick tip where you would put your finger in is broken off (i didn't do that...).Soon after i tried to pull the stick out trans fluid everywhere!!!! It emptied out everywhere...

I now have the owner of the Jiffy lube coming by my house tommorow to determine if it is his fault. I didn't open the hood of the car since i went to the Jiffy Lube....

what do you guys think will happen??
Answers, oppions greatly excepted... Now remember i'm still selling this I might get a new transmission out of this.

One of the most common mistakes they make at "speedy lube" places is draining the transmission and overfilling the crankcase.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-19-2005, 05:32 AM
vollball81

So it all worked out...

The jiffy lube owner came directly to my house and we both noticed the shop that put in my tranny didn't install a bracket to hold the tube that holds the dip stick. This made the tube easy to move and bend and break. They also had to install a new drivers side drive shaft because it was completely broken... Sounded like an airplane when i was driving it.

The jiffy lube owner was a really nice guy. He brought over ATF fluid and filled the trans even though we both knew it wasn't his fault and then followed me to the shop where i got the trans done to make sure i was going to get there safe.

He said he owned 3 Jiffy Lubes and had over 80,000 customers and 1 in every 7,000 had a problem due to jiffy lubes lack of service.

His name was Jeff Gordon.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:43 AM
calmone

actually i've taken any number of cars to jiffy lube wthout a problem (o.k., there was the time they put atf in my brake master cylinder, but they can't do that again as they stopped topping off the brake fluid-too many claims for serious brake damage as this caused the low brake pad indicators not to go off). anyway, i will say this, i WATCH EVERYTHING they do very carefully. and yes, i know i can't see the drain plug but think there is less chance of that being missed.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:37 AM
THAWA

Jeff Gordon? Wow, talk about a down grade.

Anyway, don't take your car to a speedy lube place.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:27 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
never had a problem at my local jiffy lube. they respect what i want done, and will do only what i say. never ever had a problem. they have a large window outside the bay so u can see what they are doin. i give my local jiffy lube a B+. why a B+ u ask? you dont get the satisfaction of doing it yourself
Old 03-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Oil Change

Hi everyone, Well one winter afternoon I was rolling around on my garage floor changing the oil in my SVX when a bolt of lightning hit me. This is nuts! From then on I took it to my Subaru dealer. I supply the oil and they supply the Subaru filter, the gasket for the drain plug and the labor. While having the work done I smuze with the parts guy and anyone else I know that wonders by. No, I've lost the satisfaction of a job well done, but you win some you lose some. At this stage in my life I know how to change oil in the cars I have and nothing is proved doing the same job over and over. Oh, do not use a quick oil change unless you do not have any other option. And then stop in the parking lot and check the oil level before driving off. Take care and in a thread on this site is how much geography five quarts of oil will cover. BOBB