How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-26-2005, 11:31 PM
GT

Major problem today. Need help diagnosing

I noticed that the throttle stayed on. The car would not slow down when I let off the gas pedal. I put my foot under the gas pedal and lifted, but that wasn't it. If I put it in neutral, the rpms would shoot up almost to redline before I put it back in gear. By the time I could get to the next exit, it was getting real bad. The brake was barely holding it back. The car was literally taking off like it was floored. I finally got over and shut it off, but the check engine light came on, some smoke was coming from the engine, and a burning smell (probably brakes although it is also from the engine). It was too dark to see anything further. I am going to get it towed in the morning. What does it sound like to you? I have had it for over 5 years and was hoping to keep it longer. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks...-GT

Edit- closer examination today in the daylight shows that the throttle cable will not retract when I let off the gas pedal. I tried lubing it with a good spray. I can push it back if I really work on it, but once I step on the gas, it will still stay out.

Last edited by GT; 02-27-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:51 AM
One teal and One yellow

I personally don't think this is a major problem and it's not the end of the car.

Perhaps you just need a new throttle cable or some of the components related to the throttle system was lost and stuck? That's my thought. But for sure, I don't think it's safe to drive......your svx will go too fast.

Let's see what other experts would say......

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Mess with the throttle some more with the engine off. See if anything is sticking or just really dirty. This has to be an entirely mechanical problem and shouldn't be hard to diagnose.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:38 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Was it on a really cold day? It might have been a frozen throttle plate. I suggest a thorough cleaning and inspection of the throttle body. and like sssvx said don't drive it. The smoke may have just been brakes.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-27-2005, 07:31 AM
GT

Thanks for the help. I feel a little better now. I edited the post above - the throttle cable will not retract, despite lubing it a bit.

I was worried that I did some other damage last night, what with all the smoke and burning smell.

I'm not sure how to clean a throttle body, etc., but I did manage to hobble over to a service station. I'll call them tomorrow (Monday) to see if they can look at it. Thanks again.

I checked the codes for the check engine light, and the only ones that came up were the oxygen sensors, which I have already replaced.

Last edited by GT; 02-27-2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:42 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Theres a how too section up above. In there, there is a section on how to clean the throttle bodies. It is really easy. ....at least it looks easy

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Quote:
Originally posted by GT

I checked the codes for the check engine light, and the only ones that came up were the oxygen sensors, which I have already replaced.
Which side, left or right. I bet it is the left one.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 02-27-2005, 04:44 PM
GT

Both. 32 and 37.

But the CE light is not on now.

-----
It was pretty ugly when I was coming down a mountain with the throttle stuck way open and I was standing on the brake with both feet. Then I would let go of the brake and take off up to 75 again. If I put it in neutral the tach would redline. I finally just had to turn the key off. With the smoke, smell and revving engine I was losing my cool.

I hope I didn't do any other damage.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
1st did you replace the O2 sensors with plug-n-play or cut-n-splice? Check the connectors too. Loose ones will trip a code.

2nd
Remove the throttle cable, second one in, and see if you can move it freely. If no than disconect from pedal and try again. If you still can not move the cable easly than replace the cable.

Turn the throttle lever by hand and see if it sticks. If it does remove and clean with a good carb cleaner.

Also check for any kinks in the cable lines.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there