Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-16-2005, 11:25 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Cool Snow fun...

Got a few inches of slippery snow up here in Boston tonight and had the time of my life with my brother doing donuts in the parking lot of the supermarket down the street. Amazing how empty it is at 1AM.... I highly reccomend it.

The SVX, bringing people together since 1992....

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 01-17-2005, 12:47 AM
SVX Appeal

I also highly recommend it. Last time I tried that, I got away with it for several hours until an officer finally showed up and asked me to find another playground. So far, I haven't found any place quite as nice.

I also highly recommend putting in a 4WD switch. (A switch that basically just disconnects the wire which controls solenoid C.) The difference this makes is amazing. My driveway is a sheet of wet and smooth ice right now. With the AWD functioning normally, the transfer clutch makes a fair bit of noise as it tries to get the car moving. With the switch put to use (manual 4WD) the car moves much more readily, with no extra noise from the driveline, and if I romp on it, the rear end will come out nicely. Also, with generous application of the parking brake, this effectively disables the antilock brakes, which frankly, suck.

As I was driving home the other day, during an accent up a steep hill the car was losing speed and slowly drifting sideways off the road. By engaging the switch, it walked right up unless I let my foot rest too heavily on the throttle. (Four-wheel burnouts at 60 just aren't the same on ice as they are on asphalt.)
Old 01-17-2005, 01:30 AM
One teal and One yellow

is that illegal?......

.......to do donuts at any empty parking lot?

Last time, I had donuts with one of my friends at the parking lot. We had two cars. After 5 mins fun, the cops came and caught us. I wasn't driving my SVX. I got a warning and my friend got a ticket.

Tonite, we have snow/ice in town. It is so fun to drive around. But it's also quite dangerous because there're quite some accidents happened. My rear wheels was pushing me alot while going up a few very steep hills that patched with ice and snow. Fun! Fun! It's fun when I can do it......when others got stuck.

Sliding down an SVX thru an icy hills is scary fun....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Locker Link Solution

I did as well. Fun, fun...

I have not driven it for about a week due to gear three divorcing me... so when it started snowing, it was obvious what need to take place. I'm just plain punishing the tranny now.

There are a few industrial parks that cops don't dare enter in this kind of weather, but the suby can do it without assistance from a plow

Ofcourse now I also need new shoes... good thing they are cheap
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Got a light powerdering last night here in central VA. Just enough to cover the ground with a beautiful white blanket. My ride to work will be very interesting this morning...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
SVX Appeal

Re: is that illegal?......

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX
I got a warning and my friend got a ticket.
What was the ticket for?

I'm not sure on the legality. I think the only legal standpoint is that the property owners can charge you with trespassing. If it's public property, like a schoolyard or a park, then the charges could be any number of other things such as reckless driving. Many places such as shopping malls have a standing policy with the local police to enforce certain things.

As long as the property owners are okay with it, (most are not,) you can play without breaking any laws.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
DoLittle

In the BigSky(MT) area there is snow on the road for a good part of the year so you learn to drive with much confidence.
I work at the Bozeman(BZN) airport for fueling all the airlines and privet airplanes.
(Yellowstone Jetcanter) anyway my place of work gets a new outback from hertz every 3 months when they get there new cars
It is allot of fun to take it out on the line(Ramp) and give it hell, So far we have gone threw one thanks to me in 1 1/2 months

Quote:
Just this past week I was driving an 05 outback(Driving a bit hard).
And some how mast up the cars front end one side right behind the wheel it sounded more like a grinding or rubbing noise.
Not sure what is was, the car was a rental so the hertz guys gave us a new one the next day and said they would take it to the shop.
I'm not sure how much different they are in the AWD.
Nothing more fun then playing with a subaru in the snow. And when it has less then 100. miles it make it allot more fun.

Last edited by DoLittle; 01-18-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Locker Link Solution

...and now one for the record books

Hey mike, we got more play time. I have already been out in it, great stuff if you can find some that hasn't been disturbed. We are supposed to get up to 10 ft drifts!!! Over on 133 it gets ridiculous when you hit the farms, you can't tell where the fields end and the road is.

Last year I got a pic of my car on one road cut out of an 11 ft drift over there! It is usually a 2 lane road, but it became one... I was almost afraid of driving through it, I kept picturing it falling in on me ..I'm gonna try to find it tonight just to put up.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 01-23-2005, 03:16 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Re: is that illegal?......

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
What was the ticket for?

I'm not sure on the legality.
I got a warning. I told the cops that my friend called me out to have some donuts........I got a warning because my car(not svx) has everything(plate, insurance &etc) was okay....

My friend was caught and got a ticket because his plate was expired.

We were caught at a huge school parking lot by the university police. I am still not sure on the legality as well.....your analysis was really making sense to me. Maybe I shld check out with the police next time when I see them...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
For the last month here everyday driving is crazy. Streets are all ice and the snow kept falling. We have mountains of snow from all the removal.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Superbeast

Fun in snow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5777.jpg (47.2 KB, 143 views)
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Locker Link Solution

Thats a great shot.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedklix
Thats a great shot.

I think so to. There are a bunch more at the web site listed on the bottom of the pic, there are some more of my wagon under the stafford heading.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
I love drifting through the snow in the SVX...... probably the most fun i've ever had in it

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension