How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to KAMzilla77
Question Serious Alternator Issues

Tommarrow I'm putting my fifth alternator in my car in 6 months. I'm getting a little upset. I've changed the battery checked al the wiring changed the belt everything I can think of and my alternator keeps dying. Anybody have any ideas or has anybody else had this happen. And when I mean dead I mean dead no flickering lights no nothing just no lights on to always on in a blink of an eye. So I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this before I bring it to Tri-State Subaru and get bent over.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 AM

I just got off the phone with one of the techs at Tri-State, they told me that the reason they keep going bad is the fact that there not factory alternators. For some reason rebuilt alternators from NAPA and CAP are rebuilt correctly for our cars. He said he hears it all the time on our cars and some of the legacy's. And for the $180 for the supposed 110amp alternator that has given me nothing but headaches I wish I just spent the $300 for the factory rebuilt one. Only downfall is the 90 day warranty. But he said if they install it I would have a one year warranty($72 labor). And a no bulls&$@ warranty no matter how many times it dies god forbid they'll replace it no charge parts and labor. Unlike NAPA's fake lifetime warranty which is only on the first one the give you after that it's 30 days. Or complain to the manager on the phone for an hour. Now the problem is getting them to give me my money back plus the core for the factory one I gave them that they can't give me back. We'll see what happens.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm just really peeved right now.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:17 AM
red95svx

Tri-State is right. Aftermarket alternators just don't cut it on Suby's (TapperManor will also agree with that! He's had bad aftermarket experiences).

My father is the Service Manager at Tri-State. I'll talk to him about cutting you a deal on parts and labor. If you have them do the work, make sure Jerry C. is your Tech. He's a Senior Master Tech and is VERY smart. If for some reason that doesn't work out, you can always come to my shop, Patrick Subaru in Shrewsbury. We'll take care of you.

At this point, it sounds like you'd need a new battery too. The last thing you need is a weak battery killing your new alternator.

Dave
Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 AM

I just put in a Optima Yellow Top brand new I replaced when I changed the alternator the last time a couple weeks ago. I get a commercial discount they told me $240 for the alternator and they'd try and cut me a deal on the labor. So I can get the one year warranty. I work at a speed shop and I've changed the alternator 4 times alreadt I just think it's worth the money to make the warranty longer. If you can hook it up a little sweeter I'll take it anywhere, let me know.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 PM

alternators

I had my original go bad about two months ago and I had it rebuilt. No problems to speak of yet. I wish I would have had my starter re-built as well because I'm on my second replacement and it takes a few tries to start it. My wiring may be failing from the battery to the starter though according to other threads.

Mike
Old 08-18-2004, 11:04 PM

Well I got bad news and I've got good news, bad news is I'm paying the $125 to have the alternator rebuilt and will have it back Fri. Good news is I'll have it back Fri. Oh well. Hope it works out for now. Also I'm starting a new subject in mods seeing how a guy I know in Cali designed me a custom alternator. 180 amps(No BS) Should have it in 2 to 3 weeks.