How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 02:56 AM
svxrallyman2004

Building an SVX Rally Car, Need some advice!

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have just bought an SVX to convert into an off road rally car. I live in the UK, and I've used this forum as a guest for the past couple of weeks, to see what you guys get up to when it comes to modifying the SVX and also what goes wrong with the cars. I've seen for example that you have to be very careful with the front discs (rotors) and also the rear wheel bearings, but also I will be converting to a manual gearbox as soon as I can figure out just which one it is that I have to buy.

If you don't mind I'll have quite a few questions to ask over the coming months, and will start with this simple one.

Are the SVX shock absorbers and springs, (you might say, dampers and coil overs) interchangeable with any other car in the Subaru range, or are they unique?

Thanks, and looking forward to exchanging thoughts with you all.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to PatrickB
u will need a 5mt or modify ur car for a 6mt.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I rally the SVX occasionaly and yes you will definitley be better off with a 5mt. Too much abuse to take for AUTO. Better suspension would be good too. And put some skinnies on for better traction. Our wide tires dont do well for traction.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 08-13-2004, 08:57 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Building an SVX Rally Car, Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxrallyman2004

Are the SVX shock absorbers and springs, (you might say, dampers and coil overs) interchangeable with any other car in the Subaru range, or are they unique?
They are unique to the SVX. The only two current options for dampers are stock or Koni. The Koni's are pretty good from what I've heard. They replace the dampers in the stock strut body. You've got a variety of options for springs. Ground Control makes a coil-over spring. Strut body and top mount needs to be modified for the spring to fit. I make custom strut springs (rates up to about 250 lbs/in for a car sitting higher than stock) which will fit on stock spring perches, and Motorsport makes some springs, but his only drop the car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My guess is that you'll want to look at a Koni + coil over set up so you can actually raise the ride height of the car as conditions merit...
It would be cool to see a paddle-shifted 5 or 6 speed installed in the SVX!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-13-2004, 08:06 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

definitley dont lower it.....get it raised if anything....lotta rocks and things that will hit the bottom. Thats only if your rallying or happen to drive thru NYC

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 08-14-2004, 04:01 AM
svxrallyman2004

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will definately be highering the car, and I just wondered if any other shocks fitted it as it will obviously be cheaper than getting some specials made.

With regard to the gearbox swap. I've read Hucks document, and one or two other comments. Am I right in believing that I need to get a pre 98 gearbox because the later ones have six lugs instead of five, and I can get a Legacy gearbox and diff over here for less than $1000, and the owner says that he's been told that the Legacy box is stronger than a Impreza box. Anybody hear that?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:50 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Greetings!

The only differnce between 98+ gear boxes is that subaru added twice as many bolts to bellhousing and engine. The first set line up the same, so you just put in as many bolts as you have on your engine.

Their is no physical differnce between a legacy and a impreza gearbox as far as the gearset goes, only between years will there be a difference. However the finals will differ, some come with a 4.11(mostly impreza, forester) whereas the legacy's tend to come with 3.90's. Many of the Auto trans outbacks come with a 4.44 front and rear finals.

As far as strengh, i would look for an 03+ tranny, the synchro's have been updated and they are your best bet besides a chalek/STi gearset to hold the tourqe.

good luck and keep in touch!
phil
Old 08-14-2004, 12:04 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svxrallyman2004
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will definately be highering the car, and I just wondered if any other shocks fitted it as it will obviously be cheaper than getting some specials made.
If you do the labor yourself, building up the Koni with the Ground Control springs is a relatively inexpensive option compared to most of the coilover kits for Imprezas. Figure 650USD+tax+shipping for the Konis and 400USD+tax+shipping for the springs. Should get the job done for club level rally competition.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:06 PM
SVX Appeal

If I'm not mistaken, your UK automatic transmission has the highly sought after center differential. Whatcha doing with the slushbox when the manual goes in?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:07 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

As far as strengh, i would look for an 03+ tranny, the synchro's have been updated and they are your best bet besides a chalek/STi gearset to hold the tourqe.
The Chaleks have been getting a pretty bad rap over on NASIOC. Several people have broken theirs in recent months. There are other high end options though. MRT sells a gearset which they claim is unbreakable. Some other companies sell stuff too.

Visit my locker