Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 08-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Peach

My Ride Died

It was a Sat. mourning the wife and I were setting out on another ride. South of town there they were the infamous 90 degree turns 3 of em in a row. These low speed curves were out in the middle of nowhere and were a down right test of driving prowess. After a quick conference with the wife, I decided to hit the curves with everything that SVX had accelerating out of each curve and braking for the next. by the time I made curve 3 the car lost almost all power limped on what seemed like 1 or 2 cyl. and so as I released the gas she died...repeated attemps to restart were unsuccessful. Checked for gas out of fuel filter on the spot had lots of gas. Had to call for tow.........

I realize that had I not hit the curves at 2 Gs the car would still be running, the wife reminds me...every ten minutes...and I prefer not to be reminded how stupid it was. Anyway what could have possibly shut the SVX down? Did I splash the fluids to the point of flooding something is there a sensor from heel or what? Any high speed cornering shut down opinions appreciated.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:17 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Try posting this in the Tech area for advice.
p.s. sounds like a psoible timing belt, but thats a WAG.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 08-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Have not seen the other thread yet. You should have an engine code from the cranking. That should tell you the problem.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Peach

Thumbs up Ride reborn

Got up close and personal with SVX yesterday discovered cams weren't lined up. CDG 's WAG was right on the mark. Local subie shop hit me for 100 bucks on a new belt # 13028AA120. Old belt only had 50k on it. Crank and cam gears get a little polished with wear too, I spose. Anyway a few hours later my hard work was repaid with the vrooooom of correct timing, whew, what a trip!

There is nothing nicer than a SVX with a new belt...When's the last time you changed yours?????

92 Pearlie 146k new ball joints and a new T-belt
92 Leg wag 140k
Old 08-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I just changed mine a couple months ago. Did the belt actually break or did it jump out of time?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:58 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Wow, I love it when I'm right, mainly because it doesn't happen enough. according to my GirlFriend

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 08-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Peach

reborn

No the belt I took off looked like it was still good! It jumped 8 teeth on the pass side "right side". IT WAS A FACTORY SUBIE belt if you check out the configuration you'll notice the right side has much less tension on it a natural fault zone. 'll be brutally honest and state I was road racing a MERCEDES ABOUT A 75K MERCEDES AND if the belt had nmot have slipped I would have kicked his ass, the driver of the cedes was older than I. Anyway I won't run that hard again, I hope I left that impression with that gorgeous cedes, but nthe SVX did everything I thought it would. I consider myself lucky. You'd have to see this strech of road even the most religious would nutt it I'm sure. Anyway The subie did me fine. So did this site, I'm a gonna get real drunk tonite cry for my dead friends, some from Viet Nam. I'm only human on the inside. Keep them SVXes going and after this innocuos drunk, and after the world takes a spin i'll be back. Ya know CDG, you were damn right.... thanks.