Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

What to do about these check engine codes?

The guy at AutoZone ran my codes on a generic OBD II scanner and I looked them up tonight to figure out what they meant:

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical (transmission)

I ordered 6 spark plugs and a knock sensor today from SubyPartsGirl at Langston Subaru. From my understanding, bank 1 is the right bank of cylinders on the EG33 engine. That should take care of that error code...

Not sure what to do about the second code. It's not the malfunction code (P0745), so could it be caused by an electrical malfunction somewhere in the circuitry? Would I need to replace the entire solenoid? Would it be best to get my Subaru Dealer to look at it or is there something I can do on my own? Do I run the risk of ruining my transmission?

Thanks!

Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-07-2004, 01:25 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
I think Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical also includes the Resistor. Do you have the SmallCar Mod for the Trany? or the resistor disconnected?

Better check with some-one else, but I think thats what it is.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 05-07-2004, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the input CDG. I don't have the Small Car shift kit mod (yet ), but I'll definitely check to see whether my resistor is connected.

-Chike

Old 05-07-2004, 07:01 AM

Update: I checked and my resistor was connected properly. I decided to go ahead and disconnect it to see if it has any +/- ve effect...

Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 PM

FYI: TSB in '95

Found this TSB for the knock sensor:

"Knock Sensor Inoperative - DTC 22 or 28
NUMBER: 11-46-95

DATE: 10/11/95

APPLICABILITY
1990 THROUGH 1995 LEGACY 2.2L
1992 THROUGH 1995 SVX 3.3L
1995 IMPREZA 2.2L

SUBJECT:
KNOCK SENSOR

It has been determined that a small percentage of the applicable vehicles may experience improper operation of the Knock Sensor assembly due to breakage of an internal lead wire. Should this occur, the driver will experience illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL or "Check Engine" light) and a slight reduction in engine power due to retarded ignition timing ("fail safe" mode.) Should the above condition occur, the technician will find diagnostic trouble codes as follows:

Legacy 2.2L 1990-1994 MY
CODE 22

Legacy/Impreza 2.2L 1995 MY
OBD-II System
CODE P0325

SVX 3.3L 1992-1995 MY
CODE 22 - Right Knock Sensor # 1
CODE 28 - Left Knock Sensor # 2

If you encounter a complaint with the codes listed above, it will be necessary to replace the affected Knock Sensor with a new one - part number 22060AA031. The color of the connector on the replacement knock sensor has changed from gray to white for positive identification. When servicing SVX models, replace both knock sensors even if the second diagnostic trouble code has not illuminated. After the repair, clear the diagnostic trouble code(s). In the unlikely event that the Malfunction Indicator Light remains on or the above specified diagnostic trouble code(s) reappear, refer to the applicable service manual for proper diagnostics. Installation of the Knock Sensor can be claimed under the terms of the Subaru Emission Control Systems warranty."

Even though this TSB doesn't include the '96 MY, the OBD II error code for the Legacy/Impreza is the same P0325 that I got... It also says I should replace both sensors, but hopefully it'll go away when I replace the right side (bank 1) sensor.

Old 05-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What to do about these check engine codes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

I ordered 6 spark plugs and a knock sensor today from SubyPartsGirl at Langston Subaru. From my understanding, bank 1 is the right bank of cylinders on the EG33 engine. That should take care of that error code...

Chike
Chike - really sorry but I haven't had a chance to mail out that used knock sensor yet - I have it in my car and your address in my palm pilot but I haven't been able to leave work during lunch this week to get it mailed out. Let me know if you still want it or you are just going to go with the new one.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: What to do about these check engine codes?

Yeah, I'm still interested in it. The TSB says to replace both knock sensors, so it may be a good idea just to switch both out while I have the engine cover off.

I'll be installing the parts with newsvx on Saturday, June 5th, so I still have a couple more weeks to get all the parts in before we do the install.

Thanks!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Chike - really sorry but I haven't had a chance to mail out that used knock sensor yet - I have it in my car and your address in my palm pilot but I haven't been able to leave work during lunch this week to get it mailed out. Let me know if you still want it or you are just going to go with the new one.