Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 04-09-2004, 07:07 PM
MisanthropyV

Modifying...

I've done some running around asking people about dropping a turbo into my SVX. Turns out turbos cost an arm and a leg!

I'm planning on going to Advan Performance Centre next time I'm in Sydney to see if they can help me out.

In an attempt to maybe save some money, does anyone know of any 6-cylinder subarus that come turboed standard? Dropping one of those in might save me a packet, but probably wont get the same performance out of it, comparing it to an aftermarket turbo.

My goal is to get the SVX over 300kw at the wheels. Been looking also for aftermarket chipsets. The only thing I could find close was the RS Turbo Liberty Rally Performance computer. Does anyone know of where I could get a performance optimised computer for the SVX???

Will Keep people informed as the modifying of my baby goes on.....

Paulie
Old 04-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

wow another misanthrope. welcome, welcome.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:57 AM
SVX- Best kept secret...

Thumbs up Yee Haaa

300kw's you say...holy sheep dip Batman. As Homer would say- woo hoo, or rather WOO HOO!

I am guessing that you intend to turf out most of the current running gear to achieve this realistically (and reliably)?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:06 PM
MisanthropyV

Nope. The SVX will be more than capable of putting out that kind of power with the stock parts. An intercooled turbo running about 15 PSI should put it up close, remembering of cause that the exhaust system needs to be replaced also. I'll be running a duel 2.5 inch through probably. I don't know. I'll be getting the quote this thursday, and depending on the price it may even be twin turbo, but probably not...
Old 04-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
AVO Turbo World qouted me about $9500AU for a single turbo about 5 years ago (before I got my SVX - I was curious as to what it would cost)

All up - the costs I think will be astronomical - you may be better sourcing some of the US based turbo 'kits' and getting them fitted here in OZ rather than have a Sydney based company 'learn' on yours (and charge accordingly!!)

A few years back I checked out an SVX by a fellow who owned a wrecking yard - huge house in Arcadia, many many cars (he had a Supra, S-Class and Porsche in addition to the SVX and apparently more) and even with his 'contacts' at Rigoli (the WRX tuners) he deemed it too expensive (and he was clearly not short of a quid!)

Best of luck though - may a conversion to manual offer better bang for the buck??? 'E' on here in Canberra is doing that to his - I want to check it out before we leave for overseas

Cheers

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:05 AM
MisanthropyV

Yeah, I've been wondering how his conversion is coming along. Should 'feel' like driving a faster car. Gotta love the manuals!

$9500 isn't too much from what I was expecting. I estimated about $8000. If it is too expensive, I'll find out whether they can fit a turbo off an older WRX or something. Second hand parts are always cheaper, and if the turbo has been maintained well it should be dandy-o! Just hoping, for my wallet's sake, that it's a reasonable price. Thank god for working 26 hours over the long weekend at double time and a half, heh?

Well...I guess I'll see in a couple of days
Old 04-13-2004, 03:39 AM

Turbo?

My impression, from reading top side posts, is that you can make room under the bonnet for the Turbo. You may have to re-locate some stuff, such as the battery.

The heat transfer under the bonnet will probably be as big a hurdle as anything else. Just remember that you have some sensitive gear there.

Hope it works out for you and doesn't cause you to have to work every week-end (for double time etc.)

Gotta keep your week-ends free for runs up the country. You should be able to reach Coffs Harbour before the brakes manage to slow you down enough

Keep us posted and good luck with it, got to admit it would be awesome to see.

Kenn.

Last edited by KennEls; 04-13-2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:20 AM
MisanthropyV

Thats right. I may have to invest in a bonnet with nostrils or something. I think the biggest problem is going to be finding a place for the intercooler. The turbo should be able to fit near where the filterbox usually is. When the box is removed there is a surprisingly large amount of space available.

Well...tomorrow's the big day. I'll keep you all posted...

Paulie
Old 04-17-2004, 04:39 AM
MisanthropyV

Well. Here's the news.

It is definately feasible if you have a spare $12,000 - $15,000. I have some mates in the business, and I'm gonna see what they can do it for.

Confirmed. Running a WRX turbo at about 12PSI would increase the power by about 80%, (intercooled of course), putting me over the 300kw at the wheels, but getting the turbo isn't the problem. It's the making of the manifold and pipes that's gonna cost the big'ns. About $6000 big, including the price of the intercooler and labor. Turbo goes for between $2000 and $3500, depending on what you want. The ECU would probably have to be made, which can be done, but also costs about $2000. I could on the other hand buy a Motec, but they cost about $2500 just to hold, and then you have to install it. There are more costs too, such as wastegates, blow-off valves, and gauges, putting the price way over the limit.

The guys are looking for an ECU for me, and if they are able to find one at a better price, and I can get my mates to build the pipes, then I'll be going ahead with it. We'll see...

...THEN ontop of all that you have to get it DYNO tuned. The injectors should be big enough to put out 430bhp.

I may just start looking for a stroker kit or something...my wallet is only soo big.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: