Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 PM

Who has installed Oxygen sensors locally?

Engine light came on today. Totally freaked me out. Ran the diagnostic and found it to be the left and right O2 Sensors (codes #32 & 37). I called Smart Service to find out the costs of replacement. They wanted nearly $400 to install new sensors.

Following Randy's (Aredubjay) advice, I checked out www.oxygensensor.com and found each sensor is $69, much more reasonable. That's the route I plan to take.

So my question is, has anyone installed the O2 sensors themselves locally? While I probably could do it myself, I still need to get a few things including a jack and a torque wrench.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Rob

Let me know what you find out on this subject, I have the same problem here in Montana......
Old 02-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Before replacing them you might clear the codes and see how long it takes for them to return.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
First off, how did you get the codes for the C/E light? My light comes on randomly about once every couple weeks. Generally stays on a few minutes and then disappears.

It did stay on constant after I had a bad oil change right before FCII. They had spilled some oil and I got advice from Kim and her bf that the light was probably because the O2 sensor had oil on the wire. I wiped it off and the light went away. They warned me that I would probably need to replace them though as gas mileage may go down.

It hasn't gone down that much, but could be better I'm thinking and I'm pretty sure they have never been replaced, I know for a fact they haven't for the last 60,000 miles for sure. Seems like a cheap enough thing to replace just for piece of mind... provided it is done by oneself.

Stephen in OR did both a while back and told me how. He claimed it was a 10 minute job. This might be a fun thing to try at the tech meet on the 3rd, at the very least if someone does it everyone else can watch for future reference.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-13-2004, 04:29 PM

For the codes, there is a file in the How-To Documents about how to check it. Its really easy to do.

The C/E light stayed on this time until I turned off the car, then it was gone. I have the C/E come on for a second or two every once in a while.

Smart Service told me to reset the codes and see how long it takes to come back.

Based on what I have read, I figure its a quick job. I'm hoping I can maybe use the expertise of the group at the Tech meet to do the O2 sensors.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:13 PM
A Little bit less Junior

I will be at the tech meet and just replaced both O2 sensors in my '92, relatively easy 20 min. job if you have a way to get under the car. Hardest part is getting to the clips that release the old wires at the connectors. Be sure threads of new ones either are greased or have grease to put on them before installing. You'll never get them out again if they go in dry.

See you in March.

Rob

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.