How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2001, 04:57 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

AWD Fix ? Duty Solenoid "C" Switch

The rear wheel drive of my car hasn't been working and the problem was traced to a stuck open solenoid "C" or stuck pilot/transfer valve or clogged passage to the transfer valve. So anyway, I decided to cut the wire to solenoid "C" and put a switch in. So I can turn "C" back on if it starts to work. The rear wheel drive that is.

The first day of driving, there was no change. Still no rear wheel drive on the way home as tested out in the gravel patch. This is a 120 mile round trip drive.

The second day, this morning, it is starting to work. I noticed the steering is getting stiffer at low speeds. This while pulling into the parking lot for work. That means pressure is building on the tranfer clutch plates.

After stopping I turned the switch to the on position for "C" and a "BANG" comes from the car. This is the spring loaded piston for the transfer clutches sliding in the case.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, because if this works, it is a very less expensive fix. I figured I'll try this for a week or so.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
4 wheel drive engaged.

The electrical signal to the C solenoid is a modulated signal, not just on or off, as your switch applies full pressure, or no pressure to the clutch. You have been driving with the the clutch fully engaged, hence the heavy steering. The bang you heard was the clutch disengaging and the drive line unwinding, as in older 4 wheel drives when you pull them out of engagement.
I would not drive in this mode as tyre scrub would be high.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I agree this has been worrying me. So this past weekend I install a new switch that I can reach while driving. I turn the switch on and off while on a straight road. This has been improving the rear wheel drive! Now I can hit full throttle and I am not getting any torque steer. The rear wheels are starting to kick in. I still get a little chirp from the front wheels and this is greatly improved from what it was. The front wheels used to burn rubber for about 10 feet and the torque steer was out right dangerous.

I know this not a conventional fix but I thought if the transfer valve was plugged up it was worth a try. It did not seem worth while to rebuild the rear end when I do not know how long the rest of the clutches will last in the tranny.

I still can't get all four wheels to spin on gravel and I have not had the full engagement again except for that one day.

Thanks for your input and how's the life down under?