SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2001, 08:26 PM
sith

I got bored.

http://svx.knowfear.net

Its only got the last 200 articles or so right now - dont want to do a full archive till im sure I'm happy with the database layout. Give it a try and see what you think. Submit a blank search to get all the entries in the db (at some point I'll paginate them).

Searching for
svx transmission
gives you posts that contain the phrase "svx transmission" just like that.

Searching for
svx AND transmission
will give you posts that just contain those two words, ignoring their relation to each other.

No other boolean operatives are implemented cause I'm lazy.. twas hard enough to parse all the yahoo html. Hrmph.

Anyways, give feedback, if its liked I'll start archiving the whole site and hope I don't get a HappyLetter(tm) from Yahoo lawyers.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:53 PM
I look like Gordon

Question Legal Issues

I have a lawyer on my staff who specializes in e-commerce law. I will have him check into the issues surrounding the "archiving" of the Yahoo message board posts and get back to you on it tomorrow.

-Mike
Old 03-01-2001, 08:59 PM
Headed to Texas...

Talking

Hey - I tried it, it seemed to work fine. If the legal guys give you the thumbs-up, go for it!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-01-2001, 09:00 PM
sith

Ooo, good news I think. Just reread the Yahoo ToS (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/)

Yahoo does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo the following world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

(then lists the various formats, and says this specifically applies to the Yahoo Groups)

Perhaps I won't be getting YACADFABMC (Yet Another Cease and Desist From A Big Mean Corporation)...
Old 03-01-2001, 09:26 PM
SVXpowerman

Hey it works great. I like it simple.

That is something that I wish this site could do. Get rid of some of the unwanted useless clutter. The original homepage(news stuff) is getting so cluttered that it takes just as long as yahoo to load up.

I sent Vidar a couple of E-mails about it, but never heard back from him.

cya,

Ken
Old 03-01-2001, 10:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Rufus, you da man! We 'preciate it . . . a lot!!!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-02-2001, 01:06 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Issues and time

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXpowerman
Hey it works great. I like it simple.

That is something that I wish this site could do. Get rid of some of the unwanted useless clutter. The original homepage(news stuff) is getting so cluttered that it takes just as long as yahoo to load up.

I sent Vidar a couple of E-mails about it, but never heard back from him.
cya,
Ken
(view -- Chris, being the shorty he is, grabs a soap box and steps on top)

Ok, I dont mean to be cranky, but its like this. I have invested many hours into getting this to work. I did not just do it for me. I did it for the group. I hoped to help the SVX community by donating a bit of my time and resources. But unless I make money on this that will pay my bills and buy my food, I will not dedicate my life to it. I did this as non-profit and I give what I can. I try to prioritize tasks to be done and such. Right now, Its a one man show with some help from non-SVX roomates. I appreciate that people stepped up to the plate to help pay for the nesessary software licence and I am sure everyone else here does as well. I am not a programmer nor a miracle worker. I feel as if the majority of my work is done. I have put together quite a capable server worth over $2000. I realize that I still need to fix some plumbing, add some mini-blinds and all, but this is all LOW priority for me now at this point. I am a bit burned out and I can no longer dedicate day after day here. The system will continue to run fine on its own, totally unattended. It will do backups, auto index the message database, clean out old news, and probably shine the backs of the cockroaches that pass by. I am not backing out of the project. I just feel it is now self-sufficient and requires little baby sitting now. If you want changes, fine. But I am not going to tweak and tune everything to meet everyones demands. It cannot be done. I can please the masses, but not individuals. Aredubjay wanted a regular main page with links off of it for news, forum, and such. I did not. I put the option up to the members to vote on. I made an agreement that if Ardubjay won, I would do it the way the majority wanted... he just had to help design the main page. Now, I suggest that after the "Grand Opening" people vote in some committee members to help organize and maintain the group. I can not do it alone. I will do what I can, when I can. If the server needs help, I will help it. If It needs parts, I will find a way to get it. But it is now your home. It is the groups home. Use the group to choose colors, carpet, links, and accessories. Its easy to say, "I want this and that" but are you willing to help do what ever is nesessary to make it happen? This server runs Linux Slackware 7, with ssh, php, apache, mysql, qmail, and so on. Ask yourself are you willing to learn html, linux, php, how to ftp, and so on to HELP make those "wants" happen? For the record I am un-employed and seeking work. This must be my priority so I can continue to pay off my SVX and give it the attention and maintenance it so well deserves. This might even mean a move to Seattle, but this will have NO effect on this board. It will remain in place and monitored. Just about everything can be done through the internet for changes and such. All I am saying is that for the most part it has been a one man operation, and I will do what I can as nesessary. Please pull together as a team to finish this. The house is build and the roof and doors are on. The walls and everything else should be done as an organized team. We really need people to help organize. We need an R & D department, graphics and design, publishing and layout, events corodinator and spokesman, and a committee to pull it all off. If done right, you could get your quarterly newsletters, yearly magazines, and so on. In closing, my svxadmin mail early on was going through a Windows Exhange box. It was also kept remotly on this same machine. In an unorganized mess, most if not all my mail was lost. This problem since has been corrected and I am sorry if I lost any mail from any users. Unerstand that I am trying, and this whole event has been all new to me.

(view -- Chris steps down off soap box)
If anyone wants me, I will be in my room.....

Last edited by Chris; 03-02-2001 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2001, 01:16 AM
Rev Hard

Unhappy well

I geuss you heard back from him huh? its a shame kinda that yoiu think that though Ken. the 'load time' is an issue with you? Speed up your end. i have NO problems with it and i am on a 400mhz machine with a netzero internet connection......

Seems as if you have a problem if it loading as slow as yoohoo. or why not just bookmark the forum and forget about the news? it doesnt seem to interest you anyway.

my .02$

Paul
Old 03-02-2001, 08:32 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Thumbs up

Works great!

No problems with speed on this end. Of course, I have a fast connection here and a slower one (56K) at home. But even with a fast connection, the Y*h** site frequently took a LONG time to come back. Either way, this site is a lot faster.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
WHOA! My eyes are burnin'. 'Nuff said, Chris. Again, you've done a great job, we 'preciate it. Get some rest and find that job.

Guys. You think we can take it from here? Speak now, or forever hold your peace. We need a show of hands here as to who is gonna step up to the plate.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-02-2001, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX
WOW! I'VE GRADUATED TO *MEMBER* OH, HAPPY DAY, OH HAPPY DAY!! <DANCES SNOOPY'S "HAPPY FEET" DANCE>
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-02-2001, 08:50 AM
SVXpowerman

What I suggested

RevHard,

I think you totally misunderstood what I suggested.

I just suggested taking off redundant features to trim line the web pages to make it "less busy", and easier to use to the eye.

All I suggested were these things:

1. Redundant titles: 'Subaru SVX Forum' > 'SVX Main Forums'

Instead of 'Subaru SVX Forum' to 'SVX Forum Home'
Instead of 'SVX Main Forums' to 'SVX Main Rooms'

You would have: 'SVX Forum Home' > 'SVX Main Rooms'

2. When you click on the SVX logo in the top left corner, to be taken back to 'subaru-svx.net' , instead of the same link under the 'home' button located in the top right corner.

3. When looking at a specific forum, In example 'General SVX babble'

Get rid of the 'views' column, if you make a post, and some one else post a response, and you go back to read the thread again. This number just multiplies and is meaningless. The # of 'replies' column is all you need. I do like the most recent post reference.

These are not time hogging changes, most of them just require some text changes.

What do the rest of the members think??

Old 03-02-2001, 08:55 AM

Aredub's Graduation

Hey, you did that 14 posts ago, or hadn't you noticed?

You're right - now may the time to get some sort of formal organization going, one that can support something like this. Chris has done a marvelous job, and devoted more resources than could reasonably be expected. He can't be expected to keep this going for now and forever, without some support. I know that the idea of something more formal than a virtual club was kicked around on Y*h**, and seemed to have little support. But I feel strongly that it is vital to get some sort of formal organization going. That means all the stuff - constitution, by-laws, officers, dues, etc., that any club has. I am very concerned that if there isn't something of this sort, this whole thing may just evaporate at some point. This has become an important thing to me, as to many others. I think the SVX community has reached a point where this is the next logical step.

I've had some experience in this sort of stuff, and would be happy to devote some time to writing such things as a mission statement, constitution, etc.

Comments?

Maybe we should have a whole new thread about this.

Last edited by svxter; 03-02-2001 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:59 AM

Registered SVX
Yep, start a new thread. Probably need to have a "volunteers" sign up thread, also. I'd like to be able to do more, and am willing to learn, but, right now, I'm probably not the guy to get into HTML and all that stuff.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-02-2001, 09:04 AM

New Threads

Actually, I'll start two. One will be for discussion of a formal club, and the other for Volunteers (Go, Big Orange! ((can't believe I actually SAID that )). That one will be for HTML experts, etc. to help with site work.