How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-01-2002, 06:18 PM
srmifer

Exclamation quick fix question

ok...i need my car...like drive it. it's drivable...but it's just that upper window on right side is punched out. i've pulled out all the glass i can...and here's my question. i'm going to try the plastic and tape method for the moment...and was wondering what kind of tape works well and won't hurt the car's finish...and what kind of plastic should i look for? quick responses would be appreciated, b/c i have to use it tomorrow to get to college!!!!!
Old 09-01-2002, 06:54 PM

I don't know any way of not making it ugly, but duct tape holds the world together (at least most of the important parts). I think any strong tape will leave a residue, but it shouldn't be on body parts if you open the door and wrap at the edges. After you take the tape off you can use lighter fluid (rosignol brand is recommended) to clean up the reside without harming any paint surfaces.

For plastic, get the thickest drop cloth sheet you can find, lessens flapping/noise. If you have time, a source, plus tools, you may wish to try to cut out a piece of thin plexiglass to fit, then tape that in.

all that said, I'd call an auto window place and see what they recommend for an emergency repair.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:00 AM
red95svx

$$$

The upper window? As in the piece that doesn't roll up and down? I hope you have insurance. I'm not exactly sure on the price (I'd have to check at work) but I think they run about $300. If you're lucky the Suby warehouse in Atlanta will have it and get it to you in a week. When I had a window bust, I used the plastic sheets that people cover their home windows with in the winter (well, people with old, drafty windows anyway). Try to stretch it as tight as you can to minimize flapping/noise. Duct tape it into place and you should be fine. Mine was even rain proof.

David
Old 09-03-2002, 05:55 PM
red95svx

I was wrong. The upper windows run about $200.00. You should feel lucky. The rear upper windows are almost twice that.

Dave