Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Direct bolt-on calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
I'd be happy with 4-pots, since I just got some 17s, lol...

But on this car, 6-pots are probably overkill in stock trim. I have a 2004 Saturn VUE with the Honda 3.5 24V V6 with a 5-speed auto, and that vehicle is MUCH more responsive to drive than my SVX. I think the Honda 3.5 is rated at 250hp, so it has more hp than the SVX, but the VUE just gets up and goes without too much effort. On the SVX, it has a much more leisurely acceleration pace, unless you mash the gas pedal. That's fine by me, it's not really a sports car, more of a sports tourer, and for that it does a great job!
Try driving a manual transmission SVX; completely different animal. With the 4EAT engine revs are soaked up by the torque converter first, but with the 6-speed the SVX is more jumpy than my Legacy in Sport Sharp drive mode.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Try driving a manual transmission SVX; completely different animal. With the 4EAT engine revs are soaked up by the torque converter first, but with the 6-speed the SVX is more jumpy than my Legacy in Sport Sharp drive mode.
Yeah, given a choice in this car, I'd much rather have a manual than the automatic. But since they didn't come with manuals in the States, it is what it is. I'm okay with that, I have the VUE, two Triumph motorcycles, numerous firearms, one daughter doing grad school in Ireland, and another one ready to graduate from the University of Hawaii, so it's not like I don't have other things to spend my limited funds on, lol...
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Registered SVX

I agree 4/2 is good and will do great on the svx, 6 is just for looks/overkill, I would do it if money would let me, but not required.

And ya with a manual, especially 6 speed this svx wakes up you will never look at the car the same. If I can make it to the 25th meet I would let people drive to see for themselves.
I have the engine, I just need to drop it in, I should swap over my waterpump/timing belt as mine are new and I don't know anything about these but water pump gasket isn't in my current budget lmao.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Ryan Clark, not sure if he is on the forum here, is working on an adapter that will bolt up with cheap 4 pots that can be found here.

I don't know if your famaliar with some of the wrx community happenings, but caddilac has a very cheap brembo that bolts up to wrx's with a simple adapter that is now easy to get, I believe with a adapter those cheap brembos should work with the svx
Yea, I am here. The caddy brembos require a bracket and a 355mm rotor. Project is on hold while I get my svx ready for car season.

Or follow us on Instagram @svxnation

http://SVXNATION.COM
Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 PM

Hope you get to trying the Cad calipers soon because I've been thinking of the same project but didn't want to experiment since it's my daily driver and can't be down for too long.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:26 PM

I've been doing a lot research and question asking as well. Here is what I've found out so far.

I'll start with REAR brakes because it's the most straightforward.

Parts you need:
2006-2007 WRX STi rear backing plate
2006-2007 WRX Sti rear rotors
2006-2017 WRX STi rear calipers

From my research it seems the calipers are functionally the same, it's the mounting point that was modified in 2008 - it went from a backing plate design to an ear-on-knuckle design. This moved the caliper offset by approximately 4mm which is why you want 2006-2007 rotors. To swap backing plates, you need to remove the rear wheel bearings. This would be a good time to replace wheel bearings.

As for the FRONT brakes, it appears that Subaru made a custom knuckle with caliper mounting tabs that are located slightly further away from the hub than any other Subaru ever made. What this means is that any other subaru caliper you want to use will be ever so slightly too far away to fit precisely over the oem size 2006-2017 rotors. I am not sure how much the difference is, but I have read anywhere from 1 cm to 15mm. Not verified by me. What this means is that you could modify the metal tabs on the knuckle to move the bolt holes closer to the hub. I do not know how feasible this would be with clearance of other knuckle components, however, I think this *might* work. Alternatively, you can source a custom made bracket that adapts to the more current "Brembo GT calipers" made in 4 and 6 piston styles. These brackets allow these calipers to work with 355xx x 32mm rotors (Mustang GT500 size). The downside here is that you'll likely pay a bit more money for the Brembo GT style caliper, and you'll need to locate a pair of said brackets. If you're a stickler for looks like I am, you'll also need to custom paint/powdercoat all 4 calipers to match.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:16 AM
Subaru Worshiper

Pardon my ignorance on the subject.

Could we not just switch hubs with a Tribeca or MY05+ STI so that Brake parts are more universal?

I know that the splines are different on the half shafts(an hub), but wouldn't taking the hub side of the half shaft apart and switch to the half shaft with the appropriate shaft spline for the hub.

Its a little more work at the beginning but may be cheaper and pay off in the end.

R.I.P. 1997 White Legacy Brighton Wagon 279k 5MT
Mods: 96 JDM WRX 2 piston brake swap, 04/06 STI Tophat, Springs & Struts, Whiteline Swaybars & Endlinks, 96 JDM WRX Control Arms, 98 Outback Front End swap.

Last edited by Laguna_Blue; 02-01-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:57 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

The following is a cut and paste from the SVX Nation Face Book thread on the upgrade of the front calipers to 4 pot.

"So after seeing a bit of interest in doing the 06/07 wrx and jdm 4/2 pot caliper swaps, we have decided to put a feeler up for anyone interested in our customs cnc'd front caliper spacers. These are designed to widen the front 4 pot calipers to accommodate a Tribeca front rotor on our SVX's. Shout out to Ryan Clark for doing all of the mock up work so we had the measurements correct to make these.
Prices will be as follows, and will be based on the number of people interested.
1-9@$90/set
10-19@$80/set
20+@$70/set
One set includes 4 total spacers for 2 front 4 pot calipers.
I will leave this post up for one week with a running list of interested parties. At the end of the week, I will take payments for interested parties and submit the order. I'm being told it should be about a 2 week turn around from the time the order is submitted to the time of completion due to a heavy volume of work at the machine shop.

*note* you will need further components to complete this swap not included with these spacers
-Tribeca front rotors [any year]
[06/07 wrx calipers]
-z32 caliper pins
https://www.z1motorsports.com/…/fron...mm-and-…
-an extra set of caliper o-rings, same part number as whats in the caliper rebuild kits. Here is a link to a kit for just the extra set of o-rings
https://www.z1motorsports.com/…/z32-...ng-kit-…
I will keep a running list on this post, so please pm me of you have any questions or interest in getting on the list so its easier for me to keep track. "

In our mind not too bad a tested and verified option. The only known issue is wheel clearance with the oem wheels. May need a pair of 5mm wheel spacers to clear the oem wheels at 10-20$. Oh, info in [ ] are my adds to clarify the info. Not our investigation, not our info or parts order.

Very short time to get in on this as the spacer order will be submitted Feb. 2 2018!!!

Last edited by gwynethh; 02-01-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: provided cut off date
Old 02-01-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna_Blue View Post
Pardon my ignorance on the subject.

Could we not just switch hubs with a Tribeca or MY05+ STI so that Brake parts are more universal?

I know that the splines are different on the half shafts(an hub), but wouldn't taking the hub side of the half shaft apart and switch to the half shaft with the appropriate shaft spline for the hub.

Its a little more work at the beginning but may be cheaper and pay off in the end.
This would not be possible without fabrication work. It has been looked at and abandoned by at least one member. The lower balljoint is completely different on the GD chassis cars so the knuckle will not just bolt on. The CV shaft splines are actually the same, so that is not the issue. But getting the knuckle bolted on is the problem.

Search around and you might be able to find the thread about it.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 PM

So HarversterUT, Have you done this swap? Does this swap use the 2 pot calipers and what is the thickness of the rotors? I'm considering during the upgrade for the front rotors/calipers being offered by SVXNation which uses Tribeca rotors and WRX 4 pots. Wondering what the combined effect would be?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I'm pursuing the WRX 4-pot/Tribeca rotor big brake system that has been developed at SVXNation. This system requires using custom 6mm milled spacers that give the calipers a wider opening because the Tribeca rotors are 30mm thick rather than 24mm for the WRX rotors. These I sourced from Josh Bettencourt, an SVXNation admin. Bought 2007 WRX 4-pot calipers on eBay. Also purchased Nissan 300ZX pad retaining pins, which also are longer and an additional set of O-rings to seal the spacers. Will source either Stoptech slotted cryo-treated or Frozen rotors slotted rotors. Some issues involving length of cap screws that hold the two halves of the caliper together. Spacers reduce thread bite depth of the cap screws down to 10mm from 16mm for stock calipers. Have sourced 80mm shaft hex bolts to replace 75mm shaft OEM bolts. This big brake mod is alleged to be a direct bolt-on. Others have finished the installation and verify that. Waiting for my rotors before I do the installation. This installation should give additional braking capacity because the WRX rotors have a slightly larger diameter than SVX rotors (316mm vs 301mm), are slightly thicker (30mm vs. 28mm) and because the WRX calipers are 4-pot rather than 2-pot as are the OEM SVX rotors. Will report back when I finish the installation.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 07-05-2018, 02:16 PM

I am also doing this upgrade and am waiting for my rotors which I sourced from DBA, although they don't list rotors for the Tribeca (same size rotors listed under 2015 WRX). I'm deciding between painting vs powder coating of calipers. Where did you source the longer hex bolts so I can have them when I'm read to complete the install?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Belmetric.com

8 x BH10X1.25X80YLW - Hex Bolt Yellow Zinc 10.9 (BH10X1.25X80YLW) = $20.64
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $20.64
Flat Rate (Orders under 15oz ship via USPS First Class. Orders over 15oz ship USPS Priority.): $7.99
Total: $28.63

Note that these bolts are grade 10.9 steel, not 12.9, the highest strength. I don't know what is the steel grade for the OEM bolts (cap screws). I couldn't find any M10 x 1.25 pitch 80mm shaft grade 12.9 zinc-plated hex bolts. I did not want to use black oxide coated bolts for corrosion reasons. Grade 10.9 steel has an approximately 17% lower yield strength than grade 12.9. But the 80mm shaft gives 50% more thread bite depth than the 75mm OEM bolts, bringing it almost back to the 16mm of bite that the stock configuration has. No one seems to know the torque setting for tightening the OEM bolts, which could give a clue as to their steel grade. With grade 10.9, zinc coated 10mm shaft diameter screw, you should use 45.2 lbs-ft unless the vendor says otherwise.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 07-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Jvan - What flavor DBA rotors are you getting? Looked at the T3 - 4000 series, but they are pretty dear. T3 -5000 series is out of sight.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 PM

I purchased the 4000 series from Hawk performance; they had a 50% sale in addition to their normal discount so the cost of a set of slotted/drilled 4000 series gold was $240 per pair w/frees shipping. I think that was a great deal but it ended last week.