Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Issues with idle after adjusting tension

I've been messing with the tension on my serp belt to get it right and I've ran into a problem.

I had thought I had an issue with my alternator, but Gene had pointed something out to me that leads me to believe it is from the idler pulley.

I had tightened up the belt a couple weeks ago and think I did it too tight. Had it stall out on me at a stop light and started it right back up and got it home. I adjusted the bolt on the idler pulley again and adjusted the tension. While it ran fine, at a low speed or idle it stayed way low and almost wants to shut off. I assumed it was an issue with my alternator as it is an original one and thought over tightening the belt chocked it.

I also think I have over tightened the bolt from the idler pulley. I have since adjusted it not so tight. I recently got a torque wrench and have read that this should be between 26-32 ft lbs. Is this correct or not?

The good news is I already had ordered an idler pulley because I want to have an UD pulley that I was going to do next year so I have it already. I intended to replace the alternator as well at some point.

Any ideas on what is going on and how to fix it? Here is a short video of it at idle.

https://www.facebook.com/tom.cotton....4716538888547/