SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-17-2021, 06:31 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Question on Headlight polishing

It's been 5 years now since I polished up my headlights. When I did them I was very pleased with the result.

At the time 3M specifically stated not to put any coating, including UV clear coat paint on them. Just re-sand etc when they yellow again.

Well they are yellow again.

Those of you who have used clear coat or other products, How did that work out? I'd prefer that this polish will be my last and if clear coat is the answer that's what I'll use.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:26 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Question on Headlight polishing

I'm not sure about the clear coat issue but... a friend of mine discovered the greatest headlight restoring product ever.
Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0. It's actually made for paint scratches but it is an incredible headlight polishing agent. He did both of my SVX headlights in about 10 minutes by hand with a terry cloth rag. The look like new! They have never looked this good since I've owned the car. I could barely see the reflectors and lenses when he started.
He did my 15 year old Nissan X-Trail also and they came out beautifully as well.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:05 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I use Lamin-x clear film over them after they are polished. It is a bit expensive but you won’t have to polish them again. I’ve done it on the SVX, and my daughters Mazda 3 and Honda CR-V. I no longer have the SVX or Mazda but the CRV headlights are crystal clear after 4 years.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
.. a friend of mine discovered the greatest headlight restoring product ever.
Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0. It's actually made for paint scratches but it is an incredible headlight polishing agent. He did both of my SVX headlights in about 10 minutes by hand with a terry cloth rag.
Thank you Blacky. I bought a bottle of the stuff and went to work on mine yesterday.

All I can say is that the stuff is "Wondrous"!

After looking at a Meguiers paint scratch kit which includes an applicator / buffer drill attachment I bought a Simoniz Tire dressing applicator. The porosity of the "handle" side of the applicator is the same as the on in the Meguires kit.

I popped out my waterfall grill and started with that. Wasn't sure how much pressure to apply so went gingerly at first, wiping off the residue and polishing with a microfiber cloth between applications. I did at least a dozen as the grill was in a horrendous state. There were a couple of spots which took extra effort and very hard "scrubbing" to bring up. Conclusion: You can use as much or as little pressure as you like without worrying about harming the plastic. Took me about 45 min. with the grill as I was learning, constantly checking as didn't want to mess things up. I did both headlights and sidelights in about half an hour.

Here's some pics:

This is such a superior method for banning yellow headlights! No masking, no sanding with various grades of wet paper, no polishing after sanding.

This stuff is no more work than applying a triple stage clean, glaze and waxing.

Love it.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 06-03-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:15 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Amazing isn't it. I had similar results.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:56 PM

Registered SVX

I will second putting a protective film over your finished polishing job.
I did not do this once and had to repolish at a later date.
Second time, applied the film, and now many years down the road and still clear.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I would highly recommend using a two part clear like this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0082LJM...ZFBRJRDWVY3Y9R