Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 11:1 CR Race/Street Engine build

and how many bottles of Argon did you end up going through?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
and how many bottles of Argon did you end up going through?
-Bill
Went 3/4 way through an 60lb bottle and about half a 40lb for purge... Still need to tig the rest of the system too

Tom
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

almost hate to ask how much the v-bands are running you...

how did the collectors go together? did you use the kit that you have to weld the cone together first?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
almost hate to ask how much the v-bands are running you...

how did the collectors go together? did you use the kit that you have to weld the cone together first?

-Bill
Thats what I ordered but they shorted me the transition cones and the bullets

I am extremely happy with the way the collectors came out.

I was surprised to see how inexpensive the V-bands are... paid about $25 per kit from OBX

Tom
Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Thats what I ordered but they shorted me the transition cones and the bullets

I am extremely happy with the way the collectors came out.

I was surprised to see how inexpensive the V-bands are... paid about $25 per kit from OBX

Tom
and did they refund you any of the $$ you paid? Seems to me they should have overnighted you the transition cones and bullets for the sake of good customer service.

Not bad a price on the v-bands. Are they 304 SS?

-Bill

My Locker
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
and did they refund you any of the $$ you paid? Seems to me they should have overnighted you the transition cones and bullets for the sake of good customer service.

Not bad a price on the v-bands. Are they 304 SS?

-Bill
yes bill 304 for the flanges

as for cone, they have been closed since DEC 23rd and don't open till tomorrow, unfortunately I was on a tight schedule and needed things when I needed them... I improvised. I will call them this week to tear someone a new orifice.

Tom
Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
yes bill 304 for the flanges

as for cone, they have been closed since DEC 23rd and don't open till tomorrow, unfortunately I was on a tight schedule and needed things when I needed them... I improvised. I will call them this week to tear someone a new orifice.

Tom
and it will be someone at Megs (http://www.coneeng.com/weld_on_collector_kit.html) who gets the new orifice?

-Bill

My Locker
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
and it will be someone at Megs (http://www.coneeng.com/weld_on_collector_kit.html) who gets the new orifice?

-Bill
yes, that is where I ordered from.

pics loading of work done thus far. I have postponed installing the engine to make it a bit easier to assemble the new water pipe and all its fittings which will need thread sealer before finalizing. Got some of the smaller tedious items out of the way like loading the accesories on the powder coated brackets, installing all the new pullies and the likes... Take note, Dan melted down his old engine pretty badly, so we needed to order all new timing covers due to the being melted (I guess it got pretty hot, after all it did melt the knock sensor cases down completely)

Tom
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Tom
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Its beeootifull

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Maniac modifier

dan, we gotta do something about the alt and the a/c compressor... I can do my best to clean them up, but they will look so bad compared to everything else

Tom
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom:

What do you suggest?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Maniac modifier

well a good clean look for the alt would be a rebuilt with a powdercoated case. The compressor is going to need to be thoroughly cleaned and polished as I am not able to disassemble it to have the case coated

Tom
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

If I were to pick them up and clean them up, would the epoxy that you used on the block work?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Maniac modifier

I would not need you to clean them up, I can set Mike on it while I work on the exhaust system this weekend. It is a ceramic high heat paint and it should be just fine, but it is paint will scratch and peel with heat and oils

Tom