Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-28-2019, 06:34 AM

Torque Steer

1996 L.... Just for opinions, I have definite torque steer , my initial thought is duty solenoid C (?) I have a CEL atm, but it's for an O2 sensor.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: Torque Steer

In the world of 4x4, we attribute torque steer to worn out suspension bushings. I'd be curious to learn what causes this in the SVX world!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 PM
H6 Fanatic

Registered SVX

I don't know what it could be other than a failing/failed front differential. Does it always pull on the same side or is it random every time? Rapid back and forth? IDK if it would make a difference anyway.

1993 Legacy sedan : winter beater, supposedly.
1994 Legacy wagon : future drift car?
1995 Impreza coupe : EZ30++, daily racecar.
1997 Legacy GT : date night rocket?
2003 WRX : future winter beater
Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

You will feel torque steer because the car is in 90% FWD unless it detects wheel spin and then power will be transferred to the rear wheels as necessary. A duty solenoid C problem is usually felt at low speed when turning sharply, such as doing a slow figure 8. The car will shudder and hop slightly like a 4WD truck turning on dry pavement with the 4WD engaged (crow hopping).
Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM

My understanding of "torque steer" is that it's caused by "power" (rotational force) taking different length paths to get the wheels, the short path gets more force. The outcome is that the car tries to turn, normally away from the side getting the most power.

Front wheel drive vehicles often have this because they have a transposed engine and transmission (rotated 90 degrees), results in the transmission being on the side of engine, and closer to one wheel than the other.

Subaru has a more balanced system power transmission system, with the transmission and engine centered in the car, and power travels equal distances to the wheels (left to right anyway, front to back is different but not so relevant to torque steer).

So, how are you folks seeing torque steer? Or what is wrong with my model/idea of torque steer?

If it was my car, would be looking for other causes, such as a stuck brake pad/caliper (I've had that before), worn out bear/stub axle (I've had that as well), worn out ball joint (I've had that as well), power steering issues, warn bushings, wheel alignment issues (is tire wear even), damaged CV joints (I've had that, but I didn't remember it effect steering on me), etc..

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
My understanding of "torque steer" is that it's caused by "power" (rotational force) taking different length paths to get the wheels, the short path gets more force. The outcome is that the car tries to turn, normally away from the side getting the most power.

Front wheel drive vehicles often have this because they have a transposed engine and transmission (rotated 90 degrees), results in the transmission being on the side of engine, and closer to one wheel than the other.

Subaru has a more balanced system power transmission system, with the transmission and engine centered in the car, and power travels equal distances to the wheels (left to right anyway, front to back is different but not so relevant to torque steer).

So, how are you folks seeing torque steer? Or what is wrong with my model/idea of torque steer?

If it was my car, would be looking for other causes, such as a stuck brake pad/caliper (I've had that before), worn out bear/stub axle (I've had that as well), worn out ball joint (I've had that as well), power steering issues, warn bushings, wheel alignment issues (is tire wear even), damaged CV joints (I've had that, but I didn't remember it effect steering on me), etc..

Cheers,
Ian.
Ian, your analysis is exactly correct as I can confirm in practice, having raced a Mini Cooper and an FF1 Subaru and covered road miles driving an SVX.

The Subaru set-up completely eliminates the most common reason for torque steer, which therefore does not become a factor in respect of handling.

Cheers, Trevor

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-01-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:00 PM

Well, I noticed one day, when i took off rather suddenly, front wheel spin and it acted very much like a front wheel drive under heavy acceleration.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The transfer clutch is not coming on to drive the rear wheels. if you get a code 24, it is the C solenoid, if you don't get a code, it can be the transfer valve that the C solenoid works.

I would not let it spin the front wheels as the load on the front diff can break it.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The transfer clutch is not coming on to drive the rear wheels. if you get a code 24, it is the C solenoid, if you don't get a code, it can be the transfer valve that the C solenoid works.

I would not let it spin the front wheels as the load on the front diff can break it.
At this stage nothing definite has been properly defined or tested and much is in doubt. I would advise that the situation is carefully analysed before there is any suggestion towards a costly fault.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 PM

I used to have lots of torque steer with my 1987 honda civic LX turbo - caused because of unequal length drive shafts .... running 20lb boost and water injection .... 1300cc clocked at 225km/h down the main straight of Pukekohe race track it was at times a wild ride, it was my DD and in the 12 years I had her I did 250,000km
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HONDA_2.JPG (496.4 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg HONDA_3.JPG (537.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg HONDA_5.JPG (476.2 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg HONDA_8.JPG (348.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg HONDA_4.JPG (443.7 KB, 218 views)
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.

Last edited by SURTEESS; 03-05-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:30 PM

It's already started a bearing whine. I'll double check to see what codes I have and put it up on stands , put it in gear to see how the wheels react. uh
Old 03-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

When you run it on the stands, the rear wheels may rotate from the clutch drag, you may have to pull the handbrake on see if the rear stop.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
When you run it on the stands, the rear wheels may rotate from the clutch drag, you may have to pull the handbrake on see if the rear stop.
This will not prove that the rear wheels are receiving adequate torque and are being fully driven.

The front wheels should be chocked or resistance applied, while the rear wheels are checked for adequate torque and the hand brake could assist in the regard. Otherwise the test as suggested, will disclose nothing more than that there is clutch drag turning the rear wheels.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
The front wheels should be chocked or resistance applied, while the rear wheels are checked for adequate torque and the hand brake could assist in the regard. Otherwise the test as suggested, will disclose nothing more than that there is clutch drag turning the rear wheels.
Do not chock or apply resistance to the front wheels, as they are gear driven from the torque converter, and the car will try to drive. Do the test as I have suggested.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Do not chock or apply resistance to the front wheels, as they are gear driven from the torque converter, and the car will try to drive. Do the test as I have suggested.
My mistake. I am inclined to take into account only proper SVX models with VTD as we have down here.

However, what is the point of the test in respect of analysing a problem involving torque steer? I have never seen FWD models being criticised as having this problem. Indeed why should they?