SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Hi From AUS

Hi Everyone,

Thought id say hi

Ive recently bought a 92 SVX, 197000Km (122000Miles) and in good condition, although requiring head gaskets. (chemi-weld temporarily holding strong though )
the only mods its got so far is an exhaust and some 18's

Im not sure how fast ill get into this, as ive got 3 other projects on the go at the same time, but im planning on low mounting 2 td04's directly under the engine, and fitting a 6 speed.
but for now, its suspension and the manual conversion at the top of the list.

Im also a good mate of bazza and have been part of some of his shenanigans with his builds, so ive got a head start with some of the r&d already done

Picture attached.

things im about to venture into is..
steering rack swap with wrx as the stock ratio sucks balls
coilovers
Manual conversion.
Decent stereo system

Cheers
James (aka Billsy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150920_095548.jpg (350.0 KB, 552 views)
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 PM

Re: Hi From AUS

Ambitious undertakings, especially the twin turbo project. Look forward to the saga !!

Cheers
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I like the white.

Want to make that waterfall grill clear again? Sand it with a DA sander like you would any other car part. Use 220 grit to remove all the old material on the surface. Use anything from 350 to 600 to make the sanding scratches smaller. Spray it with automotive clear coat like you would any other car part. You don't have to polish it (or the headlights) to make them clear again. The lenses will go from completely opaque after sanding to completely clear after spraying with clear. The clear coat will last as long on your lights as it does on the rest of your car.

Here are the lights on my ebony after I painted them: http://www.subiechips.com/posts/ebony/DSC_1466.jpg
Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 AM

Ambitious undertakings are common around here. my last adventure was putting Nissan S15 front end into a 84 Mitsubishi scorpion (sapporo or something like that over in the US)
So converting the terrible draglink/steering box setup to power rack and pinion, and fitting coilovers and large 4 piston brakes.
I made a custom crossmember to make the nissan parts bolt to the mitsi body and engine.
but anyway.... im sure it will be fun

Thanks LAN, the yellow will get rubbed out when i move onto the bodywork, the clear on the bonnet is also yellowing on one side and starting to peel on the guards.
the headlights are glass though, so atleast they will never yellow

I dont suppose you know of a way to repair clearcoat thats already peeled? the base looks ok still, i was thinking a very careful wet rub of the clear and not touching the base, then a re-clear over the top would be the best way to try and hide/stop the damage before having to respray the whole front end.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Just some dude.

It's pretty hard to save clear coat once it's going. You usually sand through it when sanding it and with a pearl color coat anytime you sand through the clear and touch the surface of the color you make a spot that doesn't match the rest of the color coat. You could try though. I'd probably use what's called an "integrator pad" and wet sand it. It's a foam pad that goes in between the hard pad of your da sander and the hook and loop wet sanding disc.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:37 AM

cheers, ill give that a go. see if the guys at the paint store have heard about integrator pads before, i think theyre called something else downunder. but i know what your talking about.

im not expecting it to be perfection, but even if it stops more clear from coming off itll be a success.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 AM

Small update on things.

received a chip from LAN a few months ago and finally got round to fitting it before a club Dyno day.
put in 370cc injectors, Z32 afm and the chip.

Went down to the dyno and the dyno packed it in with a faulty sensor 3 cars before my run.
so well have to see what difference it makes another day.

also polished the grill and got rid of all the yellow
Old 04-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Just some dude.

aww man...

how is it running?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 PM

it hunts on initial startup to find its idle speed, and has stalled once.
probably just needs the iacv adjusted to suit the chip. as once its found its spot its fine.

and other than that it feels a bit more responsive, power wise i cant really tell as i hadnt driven it for months prior to the upgrade.

and i think its using less fuel, but again i wont know till ive put a full tank through

in short, so far so good.
the ECU did have the socket already which was a bonus.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Just some dude.

If you don't have performance cams and it's hunting for idle there's something off. It should idle every bit as well as stock.

As someone who has changed injectors a lot, I always keep a fuel pressure gauge installed in the hose between the filter and the engine. If you have a fuel leak the pressure will drop when you turn the engine off.

If you took the snorkus off you might check that it went back on right. Depending on its condition and the conditions in which you had to install it sometimes the boots can get kinked and not really slide on the throttle body right.

And then there's the million other things to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsy View Post
it hunts on initial startup to find its idle speed, and has stalled once.
probably just needs the iacv adjusted to suit the chip. as once its found its spot its fine.

and other than that it feels a bit more responsive, power wise i cant really tell as i hadnt driven it for months prior to the upgrade.

and i think its using less fuel, but again i wont know till ive put a full tank through

in short, so far so good.
the ECU did have the socket already which was a bonus.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:08 AM

thanks Michael.

its doing what ive seen a poorly adjusted idle valve do, however it was fine with the original ecu. but im not bothered by it. ill adjust and see how it goes.

I dont think theres any injector issues, ive changed plenty before and they went in and out smoothly, and nothing else was removed. once its settled after a few seconds its fine.

my only question might be the AFM which is second hand. ill hook up the wideband this weekend and see how the mixtures are.

took this video to show it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh-mYrxxQvI
Old 04-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Just some dude.

Ya, that isn't typical of the firmware. It could always be a coincidence they do happen but I'd look for an air or fuel leak or something with something I touched. It sounds like it idles well after it adjusts for whatever is going on so it probably won't effect how the car performs under throttle.

A wideband probably won't help. It's obviously adjusting away whatever the issue is in just a few seconds. You'd be better off using one of my select monitor adapters to monitor what's going on in the ECU and see which way lambda is going (fuel correction) and whether it's isolated to one bank of cylinders or not.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:11 AM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Forgive the intrusion guys, and I too am waiting for an update on the technical jiggery/ pokery, but a quick ? for LAN.
I see on your snaps you don't have the SVX logo thingie on the rear quarter garnish piece. That looks so good, did you clean/sand/paint that or did your car come that way.
Bruce
ps my '97 is also black, wish it looked as good as yours, but I'm working on it.
thanks
pps, and yes, that white one looks nice.

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Just some dude.

My whole car was repainted with DuPont ChromaPremier.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:45 AM

Update:

Had it dynod wih the Chip... made the same peak power, lost midrange torque.... done back to back. weird.

and due to circumstances changing i've decided to likely sell it as is. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63960