Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Question Puget Sound Radio Recommendations

Has anyone in the Seattle/Everett area had a stereo unit replaced plus amp with good results? looking for a recommendation.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Puget Sound Radio Recommendations

In most cases any decent (Usually $100+) aftermarket stereo is going to give you better results than the stock stereo. I usually buy all my stereo equipment on crutchfield.com and install everything myself. Crutchfield has great service and informational reviews on items. But if you are looking for a local place to buy and install I suggest VTR Performance in Everett, WA or cartoys/best buy I'm sure can get the job done as well.

Last edited by SVXObsessed; 12-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for the lead on the equipment. Might replace speakers 1st and see how it sounds. I can probably do that. Radio no longer lights up so hard to use at night. Not sure if I am going to use amp or subwoofer.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Smile Re: Puget Sound Radio Recommendations

Super,
Hi, Here's just a couple of things that I discovered with my installation.
You can and should install it yourself. It takes time, but this in the only guarantee that it will be installed carefully without damaging anything. There are plenty of install tips, wiring diagrams etc.
A wiring harness is available that simplifies installation and you will need an extension for the antenna cable (about 12" should do, you might want to measure first)
You will lose use of one of your antennas, I left the power antenna in use. Radio reception isn't quite as good without both antennas.
I had a hard time finding a replacement as I wanted the new stereo to match the look of a 90's interior. But if you don't mind the newer designs there are numerous choices.
I tried the Subwoofer, high powered setup, but sold it and went with a lower power amp and a slight upgrade on the speakers. Unless you like heavy bass this arrangement is more sound than you can use.
How does it sound? Stellar! The SVX interior works perfectly for outstanding fidelilty
Good luck, it's All about the Music

Mark
Old 12-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Mark. Thanks for the advise and encouragement. Once I recover from the Christmas bills. I will be taking on this project. Start with speakers. I also need an antenna. Probably aftermarket.

So you added an amp in between the head unit and speakers? Where did you mount it?

Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
The Ebony ones are faster.

Registered SVX

DO NOT take it to car toys or any other place that tells you that they will
need to take apart half of the dash.
It only takes a few screws and a little tweaking to remove the stock radio cage.
There are plenty of faq posts on this site for help. That's how I found out how easy it is.
Also, if any installer tells you that they have the adapter harness, they are wrong.
As I found out, it fits almost every Subaru except the SVX.

Last edited by Andrew P.; 12-26-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: duh
Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

There are directions on installation in the How-To Doc in the upper right hand corner of this page. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Smile Re: Puget Sound Radio Recommendations

Super,
The amp is very small, about the size of four DVD cases stacked together, so it fits under the passenger seat easily with enough room for the rear passenger's feet to fit there also. I didn't even bother to bolt it in so I can slide it out without removing the seat each time I need to adjust it.
This amp is in the "D" category, which isn't usually used as the main amp, more for subs, but it works great with low power speakers. You don't even need to use the amp in the receiver, if it is one that allows for bypassing.
Andrew is right about the adaptor. The shops don't have them, but there is one available online. I didn't use it; however. It isn't really that hard to figure out the wiring as there is also a wiring diagram available online. I think it is worth checking in to using the adaptor just to clean up the wiring. It is kind of a hassle getting everything back in, just have to take your time and be creative about where to stuff everything.
Have fun with this. Not everything fits, but you still have many choices available. It is definitely worth doing. The stock stereo and speakers are nice, but the newer stuff is WAY better.

Mark
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX

If you plan it out you can do everything in steps without tearing into the head unit cage a bunch of times. I tried to run the cables I would need for a future subwoofer setup, but I over looked a few components. I went with a cheap unit, but it had a lot of options (left, right, and sub rca plugs, sd card, aux, usb). I ran the 3 rca's when I installed so I didn't have to open it back up to run them later when I bought the amp and sub. Also gave me the option for a speaker amp (dunno if I ever will). I did however forget to pre run the remote power wire, so I ended up having to go in later unfortunately.
I also went with a small amp that was a class D for the sub. I threw it under the driver seat with a small bass tube in the floor area there behind the seat. It worked out very nicely for me and was pretty cheap too.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for suggestions.. will create install thread when i get going.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
The Ebony ones are faster.

Registered SVX

Mark. I used the adaptor that I found on this forum. Works great.
http://ae64.com/AudioInstall-2.htm#2...adioConnPinout
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVRXS View Post
Super,
..... You will lose use of one of your antennas, I left the power antenna in use. Radio reception isn't quite as good without both antennas...
Mark
So, this may be a stupid question, but could you configure the single antenna to the new head unit so it is hooked up to both existing antennas? You could put a "T" in the wire.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER View Post
So, this may be a stupid question, but could you configure the single antenna to the new head unit so it is hooked up to both existing antennas? You could put a "T" in the wire.
No don't hook both up with a splitter like that. I don't recall why exactly but it wont work right if you hook both up.
From what I do remember the factory radio will switch between the two antennas using the one that is getting better signal, so it only uses one at a time.
Eh I looked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter
http://ae64.com/AudioInstall-2.htm
2.5.5 Antenna Connection

As mentioned back in section 2.3.2, the SVX and factory radio have two antenna cables.* One cable goes to the telescoping power antenna.* The second cable connects to the rear window defogger (which doubles as an antenna).The factory radio uses a feature called "Diversity" for better FM reception — it picks whichever antenna is getting the stronger reception at any moment.* How can the rear window defogger make that much difference?* You might have experienced this in a car with a single antenna: While slowly rolling up to a traffic light, the reception on a particular FM station drops suddenly or gets lots of static.* Just moving the car forward by a foot or two makes the signal return.* With Diversity, in many such situations the two antennas are far enough apart for one of them to "see around the obstruction."Unfortunately, receiver manufacturers have stopped including Diversity.* According to the folks at Crutchfield, the last model they sold that had it was in 2001.* What this means to you?* Unless you've bought an older receiver that has Diversity (i.e., has two antenna cables), you'll only need to connect one antenna to your receiver.**Don't use a Y-adapter*to connect both antennas to a non-Diversity receiver.* That will give you worse reception than just using the SVX's power antenna alone (it's an "impedance-mismatch" thing).
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This past year I contemplated a new receiver, but I really didn't want to stray from the factory look. Luckily, I found a brand new factory radio/cd player online, and only ended up replacing the speakers with Sony XPlod 6x9 (Three way) in back and 6.5 (three way) in the doors. Used with the factory dash tweeters, the sound is a huge improvement. The install was easy, thanks to the "how to" document here.
Good luck!

1992 SVX LS-L "Black Beauty" 292,500K (purchased April, 1997 w/65K)
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psz1xmhtdo.jpg

1992 SVX LS-L "Blanca" 214,000K
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskv0odesa.jpg
2004 Mazda RX-8
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7vggfwfu.jpg
1974 Mazda RX-4
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psentjrygb.jpg

Last edited by AlcyoneSVX; 01-24-2013 at 10:58 PM.