IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: should i buy the SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Hindsight being 20/20, being a college-bound teen all over again (or the same age, regardless), I'd do exactly what I did:

Buy an inexpensive (and inexpensive to repair and fill with gas) hatchback.

The hatch is great for cramming all your era-specific goods into.

The inexpensive is because ($paycheck - $car) = $rentfunandgirls and there's not a lot of $paycheck at 17. Having a cool car that's only running half the time due to budget constraints and having to tell your buddies you can't go cos "no cash" isn't worth it.

Get a 5-speed and keep tires and brakes on it.

Naturally, YMMV, and it may seem like a drag at the time, but it's really a smart decision.
This man speaks much wisdom. A hatch in college was very convenient. Save the money by going with a less expensive car to maintain. Spend it on experiences (good times with women or friends) or invest/save it. My 13 year old son took $200 of allowance and birthday money and invested it in stocks because he had nothing he really wanted and was interested in the stock market. He turned it into $2000 in about 9 months and learned a lot.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

this is not going well for me!
so far Ron thinks i'm gonna crash and die!
crazy pilot thinks i don't understand handling
msvx95 thinks i don't have any money
Huskymaniac thinks i should probably start my own business!

1: even my parents say i'm a careful driver...in this ~2 years i've been driving from time to time, i've never been even close to having an accident!
2:i do understand handling man! i've driver a a legacy, bunch of SVX's, a ford taurus! and a toyota minivan, etc and no matter how dumb i might be, i can understand the difference...i understand the steering feel and so on
3:i worked and i'm literally buying the car with my own money! i'll have enough to pay small fixes
4:Huskymaniac you should really be proud of your son!

guys i just asked a few questions and i'm really regretting it, i hate it when people think all teenagers are idiots
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

David, on my behalf what I think is that you should still have a backup car because of the fact for example if you have anything fail on this car or need service, most of the time it takes (for me on average) about 1-2 weeks to get a new part shipped to my door. Thus, the car has to sit until I can fix it. Now you can pay expedited shipping fees out of the wazoo, but I choose not to.

Dealerships and parts warehouses do not normally stock parts for this car since it's been discontinued since 1997. Most places I know have to go one route and that's to get parts from a few warehouses in the northwest united states, washington state, etc. Sometimes even from Japan.

I have a 2nd vehicle to always have around while I wait for the correct parts. Most cases I know ahead of time what I need to order, so I'll order 1 month in advance if it's a project, but say something breaks and you don't want to spend a fortune at a service garage, well then this is why I say you may need some extra money and perhaps a second vehicle as a "daily" driver.

I'm just giving you an honest heads up on what you could expect.
If you have the funds, then it's your money do as you please and there are no worries. I wish you well with your potential purchase and welcome to the SVX club
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

hey David, i will tell you what i bought my SVX when i was 19 and i have loved it (for the most part) everyday...i drive mine everyday and over the last year i have put more money into it than what i paid for it...i paid 2,835 for mine and i have put about 3,000 into it over the last 2 years so i mean if you make more than that extra on top of all your bills and other expenses i would say go for it....here are things that went wrong with mine over the last 2 years:

1. alternator went a week after i bought the car: $300 then a new battery which i paid like $100 for
2. rear brakes seized up: that was $600
3. front brakes seized up: another $600
4. regular maintenance: $320 for oil (it takes a lot), coolant flush $100, spark plugs i did myself for like $30
5. power steering pump went: $80 for a hose then $160 for the pump then like $100 labor or something like that
6. oh yeah tires were like $500 for a set of 4
7. ball joints: $150 installed

and i still have a lot left to do (windshield needs replaced, front struts, mounts, springs, end links, needs body work and paint still too) but for the moment i fix them as they come or as i have the money.

i dont want to scare you away but i do want you to know that it will cost you...so if you have the money to throw at it then go for it and welcome to the family!! but if not go with something else

hope this helps coming from someone close to your age and situation!!

Jared

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
crazy pilot thinks i don't understand handling
2:i do understand handling man! i've driver a a legacy, bunch of SVX's, a ford taurus! and a toyota minivan, etc and no matter how dumb i might be, i can understand the difference...i understand the steering feel and so on
Easy there turbo, I never said you were a crap driver, I was just emphasizing the strong points of the car. You asked about how much power it made and I said yes, it's slow, but it's still a pile of fun to drive.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95 View Post
David, on my behalf what I think is that you should still have a backup car because of the fact for example if you have anything fail on this car or need service, most of the time it takes (for me on average) about 1-2 weeks to get a new part shipped to my door.
thanks you for the heads up! i will take that into consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
hey David, i will tell you what i bought my SVX when i was 19 and i have loved it (for the most part) everyday...i drive mine everyday and over the last year i have put more money into it than what i paid for it...i paid 2,835 for mine and i have put about 3,000 into it over the last 2 years
i hope i get lucky with the brakes...i mean how often do they "seize up" or wear out? it's ~1500 without the brakes and that i can manage...as i said before my biggest concern is the transmission!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Easy there turbo, I never said you were a crap driver, I was just emphasizing the strong points of the car. You asked about how much power it made and I said yes, it's slow, but it's still a pile of fun to drive.
i wasn't offended i just wanted to make sure you won't call me that
150 is really not enough even for daily use(and a ~20 YO car will have some horses less than new so we might be dealing with 120ish
and 120BHP takes decades to get to 60...sometimes slow cars are more dangerous than faster ones you know!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Registered SVX

Did u drive it at all.?
Did you try the tranny out
1) did it slip during normal normal driving ? Every gear.
2) Under high (pedal to the floor 5,000 RPM shifting ) does it shift fast .
3) does it slip on hills and take off.
when I say slip , do hear it or actually see it on the tachometer ?
I would not let the button on the tranny bother me at all. Sounds like an adjustment. that button is used to shift it when you don't push hard on the brake pedal.
Just check out the above questions . if it passes than at least you are not buying a $2,000 job a few months down the road. A lot of choices ( thanks to the guys on here . Tranny swaps are now possible
Seats are not that hard to find . and a brake job is a 4 hour job .
Why do you say brakes ? I had mine get stuck but it was the front brake hoses .I
wish we could see a few pictures of what you call ruff interior and paint . not many are perfect.again 20 years

Last edited by Conn SVX; 07-07-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
thanks you for the heads up! i will take that into consideration

i hope i get lucky with the brakes...i mean how often do they "seize up" or wear out? it's ~1500 without the brakes and that i can manage...as i said before my biggest concern is the transmission!

i wasn't offended i just wanted to make sure you won't call me that
150 is really not enough even for daily use(and a ~20 YO car will have some horses less than new so we might be dealing with 120ish
and 120BHP takes decades to get to 60...sometimes slow cars are more dangerous than faster ones you know!
I haven't heard of the brakes seizing up that often. It does happen, but I don't think any more frequently than any other car. The transmission issue is a real one, much moreso with earlier cars (later '94s and up are much better, but not perfect). My 97 for example has about 120k miles on the original trans, issue free, while my 92 only made it to 73k before it started to die.

Any older car is going to have some small-medium issues. The trans is what makes the SVX special. My advice, if you buy an SVX, is to save up about a grand in the first couple of months or so that you own it and reserve it for a 4.44 transmission if you ever need one. The stock trans is not to be trusted. Then if you'd rather have a 5-speed continue to save until you have about 2500. That way you won't be quite so screwed if the trans does give out.

A second or back-up car is not a bad idea at all, if you can afford it. But that really goes for any older car, not just the SVX. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my two to tag team.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
well mine is a 92 and from what i read those are the ones you most need to worry about...the guy i bought mine from said that the transmission was replaced a loooooong time ago when they did the recall or whatever it was....so i have feeling you should be ok with a newer SVX but im not really an expert so id be sure to ask about it

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX

Oh, and another thing. Do any work on the car yourself that you can. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, and you save tons of money, while gaining tons of know-how.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Registered SVX

found this . If you don't mind flames . Front axle work sort of throws me . If it is just axles they are a easy job and $65.00 each side
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...477447425.html.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
BUT U NEED A FLAT BED TO TAKE IT HOME, NEEDS some work on front axles..
Sounds like sales talk for bad front dif to me.

Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Registered SVX

If you can afford it , This is what I would be looking to buy . $1,000 more than a Honda civic and sounds like almost a trouble free car. Bet you could knock it down to $3000
http://merced.craigslist.org/cto/2421895754.html
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
If you can afford it , This is what I would be looking to buy . $1,000 more than a Honda civic and sounds like almost a trouble free car. Bet you could knock it down to $3000
Yea, that looks like a good buy. '95s are the best year, IMO. Two airbags, and the improved trans. Plus, it's OBD 1 so if the trans did die, you could do a 5-speed swap.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
based on my craigslist experience no phone number means trouble but i'll try
thank you man