SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: jdm svx trans, will it work?

Just to fill in every one to what is going on. Alex had gear box trouble; he desired to fit a 4.44 gearbox and final drive. Budfreak set every thing up and sent it to Alex in Norway. Alex takes it to his garage to do the work. There they find that his original box has no speed sensor in the front diff like the one sent.

It appears that Norway has the real VTD, the same as UK, AUST, NZ, with both speed sensors on the gearbox output shafts. As the TCU in his car is set up to use the inductive speed sensors and cannot support the US front diff mounted Hall effect speed sensor. I have advised him to swap the front speed sensor out of his original box into the US box, as we did when ~JJ~, Jake fitted a JDM box to his Aust car.

He then reports it is going, but it is binding. I tell him to swap the C Solenoid from his original box into the US box, so that it will have the same solenoid as the TCU. Sadly he advises that the garage has trashed his old box, every thing is gone. He now has only one option to fix the problem that is to obtain a VTD normally open C Solenoid. He starts a Thread seeking one.

Trevor tells him that he will get him one. Buys it, ready to post it to him, then finds that he has been fraternising with me. He reneges on the deal, brings his thread to this thread just confuse every body so they have no idea what he is talking about.

That is the state of play at the moment, Its up to him to play the part of a real Network member and assist him, Trevor’s next move.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I'm of the thought that if Alex is willing to try swapping in the other Solinoid, then it should be sent to him, he has been advised that it "Might" not fix the issue....but I've seen things "work" that I didn't think would before, and definitely worth a try, as it is Alex's money...better than doing nothing.

...just my opinion....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
I'm of the thought that if Alex is willing to try swapping in the other Solinoid, then it should be sent to him, he has been advised that it "Might" not fix the issue....but I've seen things "work" that I didn't think would before, and definitely worth a try, as it is Alex's money...better than doing nothing.

...just my opinion....
Yours is a worthy opinion. Very early on I made the point that the present set up, "might work after a fashion." Tom has made some good points and yours is in fact still in the pipeline. In spite of what Harvey states, the problem has been sincerely debated to good affect.

I have offered to send a solenoid to Alex, regardless of the fact that he will not be able to pay for it until his next pay day. The possible damage to his pocket must be considered and sending a useless item by air would be stupid. His car has been of the road for some time and the matter is not that urgent.

In spite of what Harvey has so nastily implied, satisfying Alex' is my sincere goal.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
You have held Alex for ransom long enough.
I have no intention of explaining anything to you. You lost my respect a long time ago.

Harvey.
Harvey you dug yourself a deep hole a long time ago and it is getting deeper. China beckons.

Once again you pass the buck rather than come clean. You are incapable of proving your statements. What you previously stated and now again suggest, has been clearly shown as incorrect within this thread. If any status quo exists, the move at this point, will not involve fitting a normally open solenoid. I care nothing for your undesirable respect.

Your statement,--- "You have held Alex for ransom long enough." Is despicable to say the least. It is however exactly in line with your character and intentions.

As I have advised Huck, ---- I have offered to send a solenoid to Alex, regardless of the fact that he will not be able to pay for it until his next pay day. The possible damage to his pocket must be considered and sending a useless item by air would be stupid. His car has been off the road for some time and the matter is not that urgent.

At this point I expect the powers that be, will step in once again, in order to prevent me from properly defending myself against your slander. They will as is usual, be unable to understand the technical context of this thread, and therefore its validity and implications. However hopefully, there will be readers who have the required ability to do so.

The archives prove that you have not a clue regarding this subject and it was only through me putting you right, that you are aware that there are in fact both N/O & N/C solenoids involved. If you again have in mind clearing the archives of the evidence, I raise caution. The thread contains a statement of approval from Chris. the founder and proprietor of this facility.

No doubt, once again you will claim baiting or some such. It is you who has thrown down the gauntlet. Read my signature.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Without my moderator hat on, could I ask you two gentlemen to please stop scoring points off one another?

The reason I took the moderator hat off is apparently moderators are technically stupid, and I don't want to appear too dumb.

Trevor, you have gone to the trouble of getting the JDM solenoid for Alex, thank you. Do please follow through with the forwarding to Alex when it's possible. I for one would like to see how the gearbox works when it's installed, even though I have earlier voiced [dared to voice ] the opinion that the shift maps would not be ideal.

Could we just keep the personal stuff at bay until we see if the gearbox can be got operational for the chap? Pretty please?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Without my moderator hat on, could I ask you two gentlemen to please stop scoring points off one another?

The reason I took the moderator hat off is apparently moderators are technically stupid, and I don't want to appear too dumb.

Trevor, you have gone to the trouble of getting the JDM solenoid for Alex, thank you. Do please follow through with the forwarding to Alex when it's possible. I for one would like to see how the gearbox works when it's installed, even though I have earlier voiced [dared to voice ] the opinion that the shift maps would not be ideal.

Could we just keep the personal stuff at bay until we see if the gearbox can be got operational for the chap? Pretty please?

Joe
Joe, as I anticipated and noted, you have once again stepped into a thread, with the object of preventing me from defending myself against another Harvey nasty barrage. There is no reason why I should not correct him and detail that which is in fact correct. This is vital in order to ensure that members receive correct information. Please follow the thread, I will say nothing at the low level Harvey has introduced.

You also do not appear to the grasp facts, regarding the use of a normally open solenoid in Alex' present set up. A clear indication that Harvey's outburst must be corrected. Again please follow the thread.

Your suggestion that Alex should be saddled with extra expense, as well a considerable work is unexpectedly rather selfish.

All the best, Trevor.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-02-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Joe, as I anticipated and noted, you have once again stepped into a thread, with the object of preventing me from defending myself against another Harvey nasty barrage. There is no reason why I should not correct him and detail that which is in fact correct. This is vital in order to ensure that members receive correct information. Please follow the thread, I will say nothing at the low level Harvey has introduced.

You also do not appear to the grasp facts, regarding the use of a normally open solenoid in Alex' present set up. A clear indication that Harvey's outburst must be corrected. Again please follow the thread.

All the best, Trevor.
Hi Trevor

The fact that I actually fail to grasp is how exactly you interpret my post above as having 'the object of preventing me from defending myself against another nasty Harvey barrage' when in fact I took care to ask both of you to refrain from scoring points off one another.

Is there in fact any way of addressing a point to you in relation to this solenoid issue that will not be interpreted by you as interfering in your right to pursue what you perceive to be Harvey's incorrectness regards the technical matter in discussion? Do please think about this question before replying, because your petticoats are showing.

As you seem to think I have not followed the thread, I must point out I have read every post in it. Ad nauseam.

My post above made no reference to what I believe to be the correct technical interpretation re the always open/always closed solenoid issue. Yet you suggest I don't understand the issue, without proof. My post was merely a suggestion to keep personal dislikes out of the on-going discussion.

In your defense I have to say [as indicated above] that your sourcing a JDM solenoid for Alex appears genuine to me, and possibly Harvey in his remark is not giving you credit for your effort to resolve the problem for Alex.

So again, can I appeal to your better nature, just sort the problem for Alex if possible, and we can write up a technical 'epitaph' at the end that will enlighten all members about how the boxes work with the [different C ] solenoids and the [differing international] TCUs.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 08-02-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I am less concern with the handling capabilities that may take a hit by using the normally open solenoid and more concerned with the pressure applied during normal everyday driving by using what he has now. The FWD fuse in not meant for continual use and you all should know better.

Without changing the transmission or fiddling with the TCU programming which, no offense Alex, I don't believe he is capable of. The solenoid is the only way to partially cure the issue. Someone please get him a noramlly open solenoid so this issue can be resolved and the poor guy can drive his car again.

Yes this all could have been avoided if there was more education to the parts involved before he was sold the transmission I am sure he was promised would work. BUT that is in the past and the present issue is what needs to be addressed without and further delegation and debate between us. TRY it, if it doesn't work out, Trevor I tip my hat to you. If it does, we know one more thing that will help us in the future

Tom
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Just to fill in every one to what is going on. Alex had gear box trouble; he desired to fit a 4.44 gearbox and final drive. Budfreak set every thing up and sent it to Alex in Norway. Alex takes it to his garage to do the work. There they find that his original box has no speed sensor in the front diff like the one sent.

It appears that Norway has the real VTD, the same as UK, AUST, NZ, with both speed sensors on the gearbox output shafts. As the TCU in his car is set up to use the inductive speed sensors and cannot support the US front diff mounted Hall effect speed sensor. I have advised him to swap the front speed sensor out of his original box into the US box, as we did when ~JJ~, Jake fitted a JDM box to his Aust car.

He then reports it is going, but it is binding. I tell him to swap the C Solenoid from his original box into the US box, so that it will have the same solenoid as the TCU. Sadly he advises that the garage has trashed his old box, every thing is gone. He now has only one option to fix the problem that is to obtain a VTD normally open C Solenoid. He starts a Thread seeking one.

Trevor tells him that he will get him one. Buys it, ready to post it to him, then finds that he has been fraternising with me. He reneges on the deal, brings his thread to this thread just confuse every body so they have no idea what he is talking about.

That is the state of play at the moment, Its up to him to play the part of a real Network member and assist him, Trevor’s next move.

Harvey.
Harvey, as usual you are wrong, and unfortunately have again lead many members astray. Once more I find it necessary to correct you.

I accept that understanding the control system involved, does tax the brain a little. However proper understanding, does not call for more than the ability to read, common sense, normal intelligence and some dedication towards a members needs.

Again I called upon to prevent a member from being severely disadvantaged, as a direct result of your errors. Both time, effort and money is involved. Please peruse and try to understand my post #92, as should the several others involved in this issue.

The role ot each of the components in use, can not be established on the basis of their mechanism or function when static. It is the result their function which should receive consideration.

The modified transmission, is required to operate similarly to the original, and in the same way, provide continuously variable front/rear bias. This utilising an unchanged mode of the VDT TCU signal, but now controlling a US type centre clutch transmission.

From my post #92, with bracketed notes to assist the dumb:-

#1 Normal VDT system. --- When increased front bias is required, the pulse length will be increased, in order to #close a *N/O solenoid, thus increasing pressure, to #close a #LSD clutch. The TCU will be programmed to increase the pulse length.

#1 With Alex' Car. --- When increased front bias is required, the pulse length will be increased, in order to #open a *N/C solenoid thus reducing pressure, to #open the centre clutch. The TCU will continue to be programmed to increase the pulse length. (There is no change of solenoid required.)

#2 Normal VDT system. --- When increased rear bias is required, the pulse length will be reduced, in order to #open a *N/O solenoid, thus reducing pressure, to #open a LSD clutch. (so as move towards a rear bias split of 64 : 36.) The TCU will be programmed to reduce the pulse length. (There is no change of solenoid required.)

#2 With Alex' Car. --- When increased rear bias is required, the the pulse length will be reduced in order to #close a *N/C solenoid, thus increasing pressure, to #close the centre clutch. The TCU will be programmed reduce the pulse length.(There is no change of solenoid required.)

(The VDT TCU will provide the same instruction, to a now N/C solenoid, as when the (complete) VDT LSD system was in use.))(to enable the same result.)(There is no change of solenoid required.)

If a US type TCU is fitted, the same sequence will apply and the same N/C solenoid must be used. A simple reversal of the action of the command is required. (There is no change of solenoid required.)

This reversal is taken care of as a result of the changed transmission, with its existing normally closed C solenoid. A change to a normally open C solenoid, as has been wrongly suggested, will result in no change, and no reversed action as is required.

This is still another frustrating and confused thread, as a direct result of stupid grandstanding. I am anticipating that as of old, lack of intestinal fortitude will result in no acknowledgement of having dropped still another clanger. An apology is beyond wild dreams. However I do hope that there will be others without this disability.

Perhaps I should continue the fairy story. Chris the founder liked it well enough. In spite of one so annoyed, there will be no change of solenoid.

Trevor.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Registered SVX

I have resisted a considerable opposing weight of opinion.
Can any of those in the scrum/ruck (do a ), warrant that the second hand transmission now fitted, is in fact in good operating condition and is in fact properly receiving a signal?

The next step is to read the instructions, accept the advice therein, as well as that from the member here who is closest to the subject, and check the centre clutch pressure.

Way down under, we sure have sheep that follow, but they do not have two legs.

P.S. Via a PM, I have offered to send Alex a pressure gauge.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-03-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: PS added.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
I have resisted a considerable opposing weight of opinion.
Can any of those in the scrum, warrant that the second hand transmission now fitted, is in fact in good operating condition and is in fact properly receiving a signal?

The next step is to read the book of instructions, accept the advice there in, as well as that from the member here who is closest to the subject and check the centre clutch pressure.

Way down under, we sure have sheep that follow, but they do not have two legs.
they do have two legs, just not ONLY two legs.

Considering the FWD fuse is disengaging the locking AWD, the clutches are not siezed. IF you are right and the solenoid will make no difference, then replacing it will count out the option that the solenoid in there now may be bad. So any way you put it, replacing the solenoid would be a grand idea.

Tom
Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
they do have two legs, just not ONLY two legs.

Considering the FWD fuse is disengaging the locking AWD, the clutches are not siezed. IF you are right and the solenoid will make no difference, then replacing it will count out the option that the solenoid in there now may be bad. So any way you put it, replacing the solenoid would be a grand idea.

Tom
Thank you Tom,

You have uncovered a VERY valuable point which I most certainly missed.

Thinking on paper! ---- Does this not also indicate that the existing solenoid is OK, because this is vital in the unlocking of the clutch? No of course it does not, because the solenoid is normally closed, as it MUST be if the system is to operate correctly, and therefore it fails safe.

Good one Tom,

Keep your thinking cap on. Trevor.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-03-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Thank you Tom,

You have uncovered a VERY valuable point which I most certainly missed.

Thinking on paper! ---- Does this not also indicate that the existing solenoid is OK, because this is vital in the unlocking of the clutch? No of course it does not, because the solenoid is normally closed, as it MUST be if the system is to operate correctly, and therefore it fails safe.

Good one Tom,

Keep your thinking cap on. Trevor.
I have seen it in the past where a weak Sol. C would bind the trans but when the FWD fuse was fitted it would release..

Tom
Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I have seen it in the past where a weak Sol. C would bind the trans but when the FWD fuse was fitted it would release..

Tom
Here is where your hands-on experience is so valuable.

Last night, in a PM to Alex, I advised him that his next move is to check the signal voltage to the c solenoid. This can be measured at the transmission. This would cover your very good observation.

Harvey will be happy, because his nasty post is becoming buried. This, in the past has been used by him as a valuable ploy.

Keep it coming, Trevor.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-03-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 AM

Registered SVX

And again Tom,

What you have noted must also prove that the C solenoid is in fact closing properly, as Alex experiences controlled lock up, which must involve full pressure and a locked up clutch. The prolonged discussion regarding the solenoid issue, was pointless.

Arguments against my statements and centred on solenoid C, have been WRONG from the start and I have been forced into spending a huge amount of time and effort for nothing. What is more important, causing me to doubt my analysis, has prevented me from quickly advising Alex and he has been in limbo for a very considerable time.

Alex a member here, has been very much disadvantaged mainly as a result of Harvey's stupid posts confirming ignorance and doubtful intelligence. What is more, within this thread directed towards assisting people, Harvey seized an opportunity to directly abuse me. His glass house is truly transparent.

Thank goodness you have stayed with the plot and have not receded into the dark like many others.

With thanks, Trevor.