Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Power Mode Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I'm glad you like it!

Most of the cars I have now are UK, same Power on demand system in the gearbox as the USA one. I find them impossibly sluggish due to the gearbox programming, not at all sporting.

Phil has done a re-programmed TCU for me. [the UK gearbox is wired differently, it's not so simple as the USA type for wiring up a permanent Power switch] Now that I am back in work again and as soon as I catch up with bills I'm going to install that and run the UK 95 car I have here.

That will be interesting to see how it goes. I'll report back in a few months when I get the time and money to proceed.

Joe

That's good news Joe, we'll be looking forward to your report
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Sorry for the thread bump.

If I swap A4 and A6 I will not have to ground it at all, correct? Also, How do I re-insert the wire? Do I need to push in the clip and slide it in? I have a 97 so I a going to follow post #174.

From what I gather. Swapping the wire will turn the manual mode button into a power mode button by only switching A6 into A4. Is this correct?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
Sorry for the thread bump.

If I swap A4 and A6 I will not have to ground it at all, correct? Also, How do I re-insert the wire? Do I need to push in the clip and slide it in? I have a 97 so I a going to follow post #174.

From what I gather. Swapping the wire will turn the manual mode button into a power mode button by only switching A6 into A4. Is this correct?
When you’re laying on the driver’s side floor mat looking up underneath the dash, you should be able to see the black connector. You’ll know it’s the right one if it has the brown wire going into A6 and has the empty slot two slots over (A4) as shown in my first picture. IIRC, after you remove the pin from A6, it should just slide right into the empty A4 slot and click into place. That’s all you need to do and then you’ll have power mode by using the manual button on the shifter (which works great by the way).

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

so i just completed the power mode mod, i put pin 6 into pin 4, and when i hit the manual button, it still says "MANU" on the dash?
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

update: i hadn't put it in drive yet as soon as you put her in drive, both lights come on. i'm assuming the manual button simply turns a light on, regardless of the actual mode being engaged. gonna go test it out. :]
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
update: i hadn't put it in drive yet as soon as you put her in drive, both lights come on. i'm assuming the manual button simply turns a light on, regardless of the actual mode being engaged. gonna go test it out. :]
Indeed and indeed. heh, I made a video on youtube and posted it in my recent thread about the power mode mod showing exactly how I hooked it up and how it worked, guess you missed it though.

Seems like moving the pin over would be a real pita... or was it ok?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

i did watch your video! that was actually why i thought maybe i had to put it in drive, so i tested it and it worked. it was the MANU light still being on that threw me off.. getting the pin out took me over an hour.. i tried everything to push it out, and nothing worked. i ended up breaking it actually it still stays in just fine. soon i will ground pin 4 like you and most people do, cause manual mode is fun. i'm going to try and put it in that little blank oval right below gear 1, like the japanese svxi have.
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

You mean use a switch there? My intentions exactly, the little mini rocker switches don't exactly fit because it is oval and not square.... I'm going to have to get a dremel (need one anyways) and grind the edges so the switches will work, er... fit.

I got to realizing why everyone said once you do it you'll never want to turn it off but I beg to differ... in the winter I will not want to be using either the power mode or QC on start up.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

i thought the same thing when i installed my subwoofer.. i'm so glad i put a switch in there. i already have 1 switches being used in the coin holder area
(put a parking light switch there). i believe the shift lock button would fit in that little oval? worth a shot. if not that, then that blank switch to the left of the defroster switch.
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Registered SVX

Sorry for bringing back an old-ish thread, but I figured it would be better than starting a new one

I am planning to do the Power mode mod, but I have a few questions first. Is the power light supposed to come on when I first start the car, or only if there are stored transmission codes? My power light has never come on in my car since I've had it (almost a year). It's a '92 LSL. I have tried a few times to get into power mode, but haven't been successful. It may be that the light is out, but before trying to find a replacement bulb, I figured I would check to see if it's supposed to come on when the ignition is first switched on like many of the other instrument lights.
Also, my MANU light doesn't come on when I push the manual button. Maybe both bulbs are out. I did try to check transmission codes, but since the power light does not come on when I switched the ignition on, I'm not sure if I can perform the diagnosis.

Thanks

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX

the light should come on for a little bit when you first turn on the key. it will flash a bunch of time (16?) if you have any transmission codes. probably have to get the light to work before trying to engage power mode. if you use manual mode does it work even though the light doesn't?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

The Power light will be on or should be on when you first switch on the ignition. If that's not happening Glen then either the bulb is blown, or possibly the last person to sell the car took the bulb out because it was flashing a Trouble code.

Replace the Power light bulb and the Manu light bulb, then proceed from there.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Wow, it's hard to believe it has been so long since I posted in this thread.

I've been mega busy in my new job, keeps me off the internet, but that is good news in these Hard Times.

Ron, I have decided to put my low miles [40K] car back on the road for this summer. This will mean I should make good on my plan of Oct 2010 to use the modified TCU from Phil. It will be a few months though before I get down to it. Still struggling with debt. But winning lately.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
the light should come on for a little bit when you first turn on the key. it will flash a bunch of time (16?) if you have any transmission codes. probably have to get the light to work before trying to engage power mode. if you use manual mode does it work even though the light doesn't?
I guess I should have started a new thread. I just took the instrument panel out and tested some bulbs. The power and manu bulbs are fine. Also checked the gear indicator bulbs (none have ever worked for me), and the only one blown was the "D" bulb.
So it seems that I have a bigger problem than blown bulbs.

Here's what doesn't work:

1: gear indicator lights in dash. All bulbs except "D" are good.

2: Power light / mode. I'm sure the bulb is good, but it doesn't even come on momentarily when I start the car. I have never seen the bulb light, and have not noticed any significant change in shifting when I "mash the gas"

3: Manual light / mode. I have played with the manual button and shift lever several times and it doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what combination I try.

4: a few other random illumination bulbs (defroster, cruise, etc). I think these are just blown bulbs, but I figured I would note it anyway.

5: the ABS doesn't work. I think it's just missing a relay. although I have noticed the air bag light on as well...

6: the security system. the light comes on when I push the button but I can't get it into programming mode so I'm not sure if my keyfob works. I don't think the electric locks work either. I think there was an aftermarket security system installed at one point because there is a black box under the steering column that says Astroflex on it.

Most everything else electrical seems to work.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

P.S. I'll start a new thread if that would be better...

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

my D doesn't work either..I just play it off as "Hey, at least I know I'm in Drive"