Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM

did some work to my daily driver

Well, I finally got the mx6 running like I wanted it to and I cleaned it up the other day. Unfortunately I only took pictures of the motor.

But we all know that's the only thing that matters anyway.

Forgive me for only having my camera-phone. It does a good enough job to get the point accross.

Ahh, a clean f2t.

Accessories? Pffffttt, who needs 'em.

And the snail that's running the show.

Turbo comparison: new turbo on left, old AiResearch t3 in middle, stock turbo on right

Notice also that there is not a fan behind the radiator. The turbo wouldn't clear the stock fan, a slim fan, OR a hacked up slim fan. I ended up running double pusher fans in front of the radiator and so far it seems to be working very well. City traffic + 90* temps = right below the "M" in temp. Other than that, it's always under the halfway mark. Also of note is that the radiator is a one-off that I had built a few years back. It's a custom 3-row built into the stock copper/brass 2-row shell. Overall it's about 1/2" thicker than the stocker, and it works very well.

The turbo? Well, I honestly have no idea what size it is, and I really don't care. hahaha I'm not trying to break any land speed records, and my old turbo was shot, so I just typed in "t3/t4 turbo 3" inlet" on shmeebay one night and ended up with this puppy. Does a great job though. 10psi puts on speed like crazy, and I believe I can run about 16-18 through it on this motor. AFR's are looking good with the wideband, and I got it to idle pretty solid even with the 460 injectors on the stock (albeit chipped) ECU.

Here's a picture of the car, if you're not familiar.

Next mods are:

1. K-sports are ordered and on the way
2. SS brake lines need to go on + fluid flush and DOT 4 brake fluid.
3. MSD 6a sitting in the trunk
4. maybe make a grounding kit to help these old 80's electronics work a bit more efficiently
5. who knows what else... I'd like to get a set of old 240z fender flares like I've seen on another white mx-6, although I can't recall whose at the moment.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'm just happy that it's running well now, and you so rarely see pictures of nice looking mazda f2t motors. I just felt compelled to share mine.

Perhaps you don't know a lot about these cars, but they're fun to work on, pretty reliable, and make gobs of torque for pretty cheap! I only paid $625 for the car, and have been tinkering with it ever since. I would guess it to be in the 200-ish hp/250 tq range at this boost setting, with capabilities of around 270 hp/350 torque as seen by other mx6er's. The current record is 352 whp/ 456 wtq on the stock bottom end. Not to shabby for a 12 valve 2.2!

Thanks all for checking out my car.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!