Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM

svx outer radio cage/hatch

is been a while since my last post on the site, the crunch has caused me to park up my svx 4 at least 6 months, during which i hope to carry out some improvements & maintenance.
one item that need replacement is the centre radio hatch which has a faulty door mech.
i would be helpfull if someone can point me in the direction of a suitable replacement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5736.JPG (1,022.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: svx outer radio cage/hatch

Hello Ahmed.

How are things?

That stereo door looks repairable, so don't throw it away. Your plastic imitation wood looks to be a lighter shade than most of the earlier cars, so if you buy the whole box off a scrapped car, because your lighter colour is rare, the new door you buy will not match the rest of your imitation wood.

Your picture is out of focus, but from what I can see if you were to purchase a new cage, you can take 4 parts from it that will make your cage good as new.

If you look to the far hinge on your door, you will see a hinge pin that is about as round as a pound coin inside. The axle of this pushes out through the hole and the plastic arm, and it is held on to the arm by a push on washer. You will need one of these hinge pins, and you need a washer for the broken side.

On the broken side you need two more things, you need the spring that pressures the door, plus you need the black plastic piece that screws to the case. This plastic piece guides the door arm into its open position. It is broken on yours and you need to replace it.

Try ringing Twigworth:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-SVX-RHF-BRAKE-CALIPER-BREAKING_W0QQitemZ300285629627QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item30028562 9627&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3 A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

They are breaking an SVX. If the stereo cage is intact, buy it from them and use the parts from it to repair your own. I bought stuff off them a couple of years ago, the guy I dealt with was called Jaime I think.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

In our other thread where we've been talking about SVX cages, I went back and posted a couple of the pictures that Joe kindly took. Might help you to see what you need.
SVX / Legacy radio compatibility (post #10)
and here's his picture of the inside of the cage:

(click on the thumbnails to see larger versions)

Here in the states, SubaruParts.com lists part numbers for many of the components that make up the cage and door (as well as the whole assembly for $$$). This is for our LHD cars, but it will give you an idea of what might be available...
You may be able to order just the bits you need from a local Subaru parts source. It's possible they could even have the correct coloured door. I suggest asking up front whether they'll let you decline it if it doesn't match

[a little later I'll try to decipher the cryptic part descriptions and make a list of what each part number is in English, and then update this post]
Attached Images
File Type: gif i660B-101.gif (30.7 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-31-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 AM

thanks for the quick replies , i will follow your instructions & let you know how it goes, cheers, abz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: