How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 AM

back from the grave

Hey everyone, just thought I'd pop in here and say hi. It's been probably...5-ish years since I've been on here regularly.

Yesterday I got a wild hair and decided to do some wrenching on the car. It's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to decide what to do with the radiator. But I also have a tranny cooler, a windshield, and a set of valve cover gaskets to go in; so it's kinda just sitting there in the meantime til I have some time to get it all done.

Decided it would be easiest/least amount of damage to just remove the front bumper cover and headlights/turn signals while I was working on the front, to avoid scratching and the like.

I realized that in front of the LF tire was where I wanted to do the cooler install, and it is a beast of a unit. I know I can get it in there, but I keep forgetting which line from the tranny is "hot" and which is "cold."

Also, my radiator dilemma... Going to go the route of retro-fitting an aluminum wrx radiator so I can go bigger on the core (for future plans) as well as not have to spend an arm and a leg on the Koyo or Griffin or whoever used to make a replacement, I forget. If I can get a list of things compiled and figure out how to make it easy for anyone to do, I would consider marketing an SVX radiator replacement retrofit kit. Do you guys think something like that may fly?

Also over the winter I traded my black Motegi MR118wheels and BFG tires for a set of RX-8 wheels. I am totally in love. hahah I Loved the other look too, but I like how the rx8 wheels kinda "modernize" the car, and look completely OEM since they well...are.

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi to everyone!

p.s. Those of you who are still here that are running my swaybar, how are things holding up?

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 07-12-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Registered SVX
Re: back from the grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Hey everyone, just thought I'd pop in here and say hi. It's been probably...5-ish years since I've been on here regularly.

Yesterday I got a wild hair and decided to do some wrenching on the car. It's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to decide what to do with the radiator. But I also have a tranny cooler, a windshield, and a set of valve cover gaskets to go in; so it's kinda just sitting there in the meantime til I have some time to get it all done.

Decided it would be easiest/least amount of damage to just remove the front bumper cover and headlights/turn signals while I was working on the front, to avoid scratching and the like.

I realized that in front of the LF tire was where I wanted to do the cooler install, and it is a beast of a unit. I know I can get it in there, but I keep forgetting which line from the tranny is "hot" and which is "cold."

Also, my radiator dilemma... Going to go the route of retro-fitting an aluminum wrx radiator so I can go bigger on the core (for future plans) as well as not have to spend an arm and a leg on the Koyo or Griffin or whoever used to make a replacement, I forget. If I can get a list of things compiled and figure out how to make it easy for anyone to do, I would consider marketing an SVX radiator replacement retrofit kit. Do you guys think something like that may fly?

Also over the winter I traded my black Motegi MR118wheels and BFG tires for a set of RX-8 wheels. I am totally in love. hahah I Loved the other look too, but I like how the rx8 wheels kinda "modernize" the car, and look completely OEM since they well...are.

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi to everyone!

p.s. Those of you who are still here that are running my swaybar, how are things holding up?
Since you have been gone there are 2 aluminum radiator options that are direct fit, AMR has a 2 core option, and check on www.svxnation.com there is a all aluminum replica available, price wise they are not too bad though custom wrx is a viable solution as well if you can make the changes yourself.

Also my sway bar has been perfect, I have the teflon joints so still quiet as well
Old 07-12-2017, 07:21 PM

Well, the ones I was looking at are 3 core, which is what I'd really like to have.

And I'm definitely a "how can I make this better but cheaper?" Kinda guy. My wife and I just started a business, so money is tight and I like the challenege of putting things where they don't belong anyways! Thanks all the same though! It's definitely an option I may look into once funds aren't so tight.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Did you ever find a set of replacement ends to use eat eliminated the rattling or is the rubber boot cover filled with grease still the best option.

The original set that came with the bar became worn and noisy. Replaced them with QS Components chromoly Teflon Kevlar ones and they did the same after a while.

In later production yu u went from the original 6" endlink down to a shorter 5" one. Are these available? Photos?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Endlink Boot.jpg (103.8 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg end link.jpg (20.8 KB, 373 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I went the same route with end links. The QS ones got noisy quite quickly and it was a real rattle snake when I sold the car. Also with all the road salt around here the bar was very corroded with little paint left.
I let it go with the '92 rather than swapping it over to my '97.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Well unfortunately, a bit of rattle is the name of the game if you want racecar-like handling.

I could have searched far and wide for the perfect OE style endlink, but it was just not worth it to me. The QS ones did the job just fine for me and a little bit of rattle was ok with me.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

May just put them inside the grease-filled boots and forget about it.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .