Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Has anyone tried pulstar sparkplugs?

Pulstar Pulse Plug

Pulse plugs are the latest in performance ignition technology. They are essentially a spark plug with an internal pulse circuit which increases peak spark current by up to 20,000 times as compared to a traditional spark plug. Their physical dimensions are the same as your stock spark plug. But this is where the similarity ends. Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases it in a powerful pulse of power. Instead of 50 watts of peak power, typical of a spark plug, pulse plugs deliver up to 1,000,000 watts of peak power. This allows Pulstar Pulse Plugs to burn fuel more efficiently than traditional spark plugs. Pulstar plugs generate a much larger spark than spark plugs and at twice the speed. This faster ignition generates more power you will feel in a livelier throttle response, more horse power to the wheels and increased gas mileage.
Is a new one to me.

Keith
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 PM

Re: Has anyone tried pulstar sparkplugs?

ive seen them...read them...but the price freaked me out...i dont think the price/performance gain is there...go check the prices.

-D-
Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 PM

$150.00 for 6
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
$150.00 for 6
Yeah, that was me too.
I was all ready to get a set, until I looked at the price, and just couldn't justify the buy.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM

for me, changing the danged things is more of a deterrent than the price!
They have a 30 day money back guarantee if not satisfied! If not satisfied, then, more CHANGE!
For myself, after that oBama thing, I can't do any more CHANGE.
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 02-06-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Will pass gas for $$

Talking Re: Has anyone tried pulstar sparkplugs?

Whoa--get me a set of these and i won't need 1.21 gigawatts for my flux capacitor! I maybe could run it on my coleman generator instead of nuclear reactor
Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Pulstar Pulse Plug

Pulse plugs are the latest in performance ignition technology. They are essentially a spark plug with an internal pulse circuit which increases peak spark current by up to 20,000 times as compared to a traditional spark plug. Their physical dimensions are the same as your stock spark plug. But this is where the similarity ends. Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases it in a powerful pulse of power. Instead of 50 watts of peak power, typical of a spark plug, pulse plugs deliver up to 1,000,000 watts of peak power. This allows Pulstar Pulse Plugs to burn fuel more efficiently than traditional spark plugs. Pulstar plugs generate a much larger spark than spark plugs and at twice the speed. This faster ignition generates more power you will feel in a livelier throttle response, more horse power to the wheels and increased gas mileage.
Is a new one to me.

Keith
This is the newest scam on the market....... Its funny I just saw another ad about this in popular science. The bottom line is..... you CANT get more spark OUT of a plug than goes in, period. They can call it what they want.... but the plug fires for every signal it gets from the ECU, and the most efficient way to do that is a path straight through to spark gap. What Pulstar claims is impossible physically speaking, you cant gain energy from nothing. It can also not "store spark energy" as claimed since the plug must fire each time it recieves the high voltage from the coil..... or it would be a dead cylinder every time the plug "stored" the spark energy. Bottom line is..... the ignition system is already designed with the highest efficiency possible, and the only way to boost it is with an aftermarket ignition system that runs higher voltages.

P.S. On a related note..... depending on which ad you saw, the one where they show pictures of the actual air/fuel combustion in the cylinder with THEIR plugs vs. regular ones (2 pics for "each" plug setup)..... I noticed with hilarity that all 4 of the pics were the same exact combustion cycle, since you can easily tell (if you look at the details closely) they just flipped the pics horizontally for the "pulse" plugs and showed the air/fuel detonation a little later in the combustion, so it looked like the explosion was bigger.

Oooooh and I just noticed something else; "Pulstar plugs generate a much larger spark than spark plugs and at twice the speed." Since electricity travels nearly the speed of light through metal (spark plug internals), apparently Pulstars break this paramount law of physics and allow the SVX to travel back in time, possibly to 1955.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 02-06-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=SoCal LS-L;586198]This is the newest scam on the market....... Its funny I just saw another ad about this in popular science. The bottom line is..... you CANT get more spark OUT of a plug than goes in, period. They can call it what they want.... but the plug fires for every signal it gets from the ECU, and the most efficient way to do that is a path straight through to spark gap. What Pulstar claims is impossible physically speaking, you cant gain energy from nothing. It can also not "store spark energy" as claimed since the plug must fire each time it recieves the high voltage from the coil..... or it would be a dead cylinder every time the plug "stored" the spark energy. Bottom line is..... the ignition system is already designed with the highest efficiency possible, and the only way to boost it is with an aftermarket ignition system that runs higher voltages.

Sorry, SoCal, but go back 130 years and think about how many CANT's have been turned into CANS.

Are you counting the things?

Correct, too many to count.

New technology doesn't change the laws of physics, but it can present a solution that some things that apparently apply to one situation do not necessary apply to the another situation.

I think they have something going for them. They have a 30 day money back guarantee for their claims.

My auto store guarantees them for 4 years.

We are back to the deterrent of changing and if not as advertised, putting the platinum back in.

I will probably do this. I drive a lot of miles and saving would add up. I will certainly keep the form posted if I change to pulstar, and it won't be a "misery loves company" thing. I will carefully analyze the clams on performance as well as fuel economy and let people that are interested know what they can really expect.

Keith