How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 PM

Registered SVX
ok transmission fluid change idea/advice/questions..

So I own a 92' SVX and the last few months I've been trying to get it in tip top shape as well as getting a misfire/hesitation/squealing brakes fixed.... (new brake pads/ignition coils/spark plugs/coolant/thermostat/fuel filter/mass air flow cleaned/throttle body cleaning/fuel cleaner....).

I'm smelling some strong car exhaust on warm up..so I'm praying it'll pass emissions next week..ooo I pray the cats are ok.. uuugh..but the car is running super smooth and revs are instant. Spark plugs were worn waaaay down..and wet with fuel...I THINK it's fuel.. coolant level wasn't going down and no smoke..not oil....just strong sulfer smell from exhaust. But now all is well. I hope. wonder if there's any tricks to helping a SVX pass an emissions test? Maybe I'll slip him a Jackson...

(needs a car wash..and a legal plate)

ANYWAY..

While I was changing the thermostat I noticed this car has an external filter for the transmission just like the picture below. I'm worried about this transmission..(actually freaked out by it..I know they're time bombs and I don't have a transmission cooler yet) so I was planning on changing the fluid like yearly and soon. It's super pink at the moment.. I'm a little worried that filter is super old.. car has 39K miles on it and I'm planning on changing the filter....

I found this part number.. I think this is the correct part but I'm not TOTALLY sure.. doing major research but looks like the part is slowly being phased out of production but I *think* this legacy part should work.:

Part Number: 31099AA031 ; 38325AA000

looks like the right one..

Question:

Anyone changed the filter before? Does a LOT of transmission fluid come out? I'm thinking of changing the internal transmission filter and this external one or do you think the external is good for the life of the car (even though it's been..what..25 years?)

Also wondering in future after I change the internal transmission filter, can I do draining and a simple fill from the front of the car with the hose acting like a syphon hanging down as the lowest point?

Last question...

My tensioners sound like roller skates.. think they'll be ok until I hit 60k for a timing belt change? I took a video of the sound.. ever heard of these bearings failing? This was before the spark plugs so the car sounds and drives waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.. but the bearing noise is there..cause for concern? It goes away when I rev above idle.

https://youtu.be/BjFsfNZsvNw

Thanks guys - love the car.. WISH I HAD A LIFT!!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: ok transmission fluid change idea/advice/questions..

The ATK-50 External filter TSB can be found HERE

It states that "The filter is designed to be maintenance free under normal driving conditions. It will not require periodic replacement. The only time replacement is necessary is in case of a transmission failure which leads to excessive metal contamination of the fluid."

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-30-2017, 07:05 PM

Registered SVX

oo.. thanks for the link... yeah I'll debate changing it. Seems like not a bad insurance move for a ~$60 filter. I'll keep doing research on it - thanks for the information!
Old 07-01-2017, 04:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

KSLC, congrats on finding such a low mileage car! She's beautiful. Glad to see you're taking the time to bring her up to spec. Given the work you've done so far, you seem to be mechanically inclined.

Aside from the filter you may also want to install an aftermarket cooler. B&M seems to be a popular choice amongst members and there are many threads about specific coolers and installation on this site.

Given the low mileage I am actually surprised to hear of the exhaust fume and bearing issues. However, I suppose after 26 years even low mileage cars will have parts fail due to age.

As for bearings...are you referring to the bearings for the accessory belts that drive the P/S; Alternator and A/C? If so, those are extremely easy to replace and may help solve your bearing whine problem. If you think it's the idler pulleys/tensioners for the timing belt that's another story. The timing belt change on these cars is not particularly difficult. There are a few kits that sell the idler pulleys, tensioners and belt as a kit. If you've gone through all the trouble of installing a fuel filter, thermostat, spark plugs, etc...why not give yourself some piece of mind and do the timing belt. These are non-interference engines so no worries if you happen to have a catastrophic failure with the belt, but why even go there...ya know?

Anyway, those are just a few of my initial thoughts. Welcome to the group!

P.S. that hissing sound to me seems like it could be the P/S unit. May want remove the accessory belt that drives the P/S pump and try to narrow down if that's your issue.

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 07-01-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks SVXMAN2001!

Sorry slow response - lots has been happening - I bought the car in April and after months of little maintenance items FINALLY yesterday the car passed and according the the test results it passed by a wide margin so I'm not sure what I'm smelling on the exhaust on start up but... WHATEVER. It's running super clean so the cats are ok.. maybe I'm smelling ethanol or.. super rich start up or something..

Got pulled over by the Utah highway patrol which freaked me out on my first drive on the streets to the local DMV office (my first time ever getting pulled over..) and was warned and told to get off the freeway.. (no tags/registration..) so luckily I had my title and emissions and safety with me or else that could of been ugly..

I am dreading the transmission cooler installation honestly.. I hate to put a hot spot in front of the radiator.. I'm trying to think of ways to install a clean and nice setup for the cooler but I do know I need to do that. Yesterday the temps in Utah were 100F and I was taking it easy but after working underneath the car I can see why the transmission fluid doesn't cool down as much as it should.. but thanks for the product suggestion. I know I need to do it... that will probably require me to do go the dealer route or find someone because that's getting up there as far as fabrication.. unless it comes with brackets or something.

I think you're right on the power steering noise - I sucked out a bunch of fluid and it was darn near black so every so often I'll just keep sucking out more and replacing it.. but it might be the pump like you said. And yeah.. I've watched a few videos on the timing belt and I *THINK* I can do it. I think the biggest issue I'm going to run into is the removal of the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer.. that sucker does not look easy to remove and probably requires a special tool. But I'd like to do it (on a cooler day..) so we'll see... I'll try and make a new video because the car is running MUCH better. I have some valve tapping noise but nothing serious.

ANYWAY thank you
Old 07-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

A few members have installed the cooler in the driver's side fender well with success. I'm in the same boat as you as I used to have the cooler sandwiched between the radiator and condenser, over time I noticed the edges of the cooler digging into the radiator and condenser due to the vibration.

Timing belt tool is avaible but is about $100. But you could also place a bolt through the flywheel, there's an access hole on the rear passenger side. I justified the tool expense given the Labr cost for a timing belt/watee pump job.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The first transmissions for this car had a design flaw regarding the size of the outlet for the fluid to get cooler. It can clog easily causing overheating and failure. Any competent mechanic who has installed a cooler on a vehicle that tows a trailer can do the job. Mine sits low in front of the radiator. Just had to remove the grill and sandwich it in.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.