Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-17-2003, 10:04 AM
TapperManor

Unhappy Gremlins banging engine with wrench !

Yesterday from under the hood my baby started making some pretty loud noises. It kinda sounded like someone banging the engine with a wrench. Its wierd, sometimes it happens and sometimes not. I checked the oil, it was down a half quart, I filled it up, no big deal.

Does this sound like the noise that I have heard about with the power steering pump?

I think something may be going, but not sure what The noise seemed like it was coming from the alternator or Ac unit or below. I think, sometimes it may be turning and sometimes not. (whatever IT is?)
When the rattle/banging isn't happening it sounds like a belt is slipping. The pully below the AC unit should be turning? Right?

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Tapper
Old 03-17-2003, 04:22 PM

Could be your flex plate.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:42 PM
TapperManor

I replaced the flex plate about 10 months ago, along with the water pump and timing belt. It actually sounds a bit similar but the source is alot higher and closer to the front of the car.

I am going to search in the lockers of other members to see if anyone has a diagram of 'what is what' in front of the engine. Not being a mechanic(I like to think I know the basics), it is somewhat challanging to figure out every component the belt turns. (I think this may be relavant)

I'm lucky I just got another SVX, because now I am driving it.

Tapper
Old 03-22-2003, 03:38 PM
TapperManor

Well, Problem identified.

It was the belt tension wheel (is this what it is called?), below the AC compressor. Half of the ball bearings have disintegrated. It was really LOUD when it was turning, and when it would stop turning the belt was just sliding over it.

It this a common part to go?

Anyone have one they would sell real cheap?

Tapper

SEE PIC BELOW

Last edited by TapperManor; 03-22-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:39 PM
TapperManor

pic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx_engine.jpg (65.5 KB, 165 views)
Old 03-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Boone

Hmm.. looks like the idler assy below the compressor. It's not too pricy. What about yer parts car?

edit: nice pics...
Old 03-22-2003, 03:56 PM
TapperManor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Hmm.. looks like the idler assy below the compressor. It's not too pricy. What about yer parts car?

edit: nice pics...
At the moment I am driving it. (the 95) It may be a fixer I don't have the heart to start pulling parts off her yet. I am trying to figure out why there is no heat. It blows cold air. The previous ower said they were told by the dealer it could be the head gasket. I have put about 75 miles on her and i don't see any white smoke????
Old 03-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Boone

Hmm.. I wouldn't say head gasket just because of no heat... needs further diagnosis. You could always leave the AC belt off and drive the '92. Don't think we'll need AC soon.

parts ---> http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=732A-1
Old 03-22-2003, 04:21 PM
TapperManor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Hmm.. I wouldn't say head gasket just because of no heat... needs further diagnosis. You could always leave the AC belt off and drive the '92. Don't think we'll need AC soon.

parts ---> http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=732A-1
Thanks, I was having trouble finding that part.

That is why I am driving the '95', to further evaluate its condition. Maybe it is the heater core?

On the '92', Are you saying I could just leave the belt off and drive it, temporarily?

Tapper
Old 03-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Boone

Hmm... Sure, the belt only drives the compressor. It does run behind the Alt/PS belt on the crank pully 'tho so it's a task. . Boone

... or if it's beat... just cut it.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The idler pulleys go bad, Worth while to replace around 100k or so.

If you got no heat, check the hoses to the heater core in the engine bay. The heater core may be by-passed if it was leaking.