How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Stealth mode?

I was so happy that my electrical problem was so small (corroded grounding strap to the battery) That when I was driving back to work I had kind of a heavy foot! I was doing about 50 in a 35 zone.... and saw a patrol car with his radar gun aimed right at me. I was so sure I was about to get my first moving violation ticket in 25 years of driving that I just took my foot off the gas as I went by him... I didn't slam on the brake.... I was looking for a place to pull over and checking my rear view mirror when I noticed he was still pointing the gun back the way I came from. I pulled over anyway to wait for the guy to pull out. He never came....... He had to see me .... did the gun malfunction? I almost went back to ask.... then he pulled out and got the 3rd car that went by...(looked like he was doing the Speed limit to me..)

So, where is the switch for the radar jamming equipment? I don't want to bump it inadvertently!!!!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-05-2003, 07:16 PM
svxtremist2001

Grate story sounds like you got lucky!! Maybe he respected you and was waiting for some kid but sounds like the guy he got was going slow than you so maybe not?? Maybe there is a stealth mode you would think if you were that fast even if his gun didn't work he'd pull you over even if he didn't have a reading. at least to scare you to slow down. Stealth button is under the dash under the steering wheel, hard to see but reach under there and you will feel it. oh wait, that is the wiper winter mode!! ~
Old 02-05-2003, 08:03 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sounds like the stealth mode is actually good for something!
Usually it just makes us invisible to stupid people who pull out in front of us, or change lanes in front of us, or do some other equally stupid thing as if they can't see us!

~~Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

My car is always in stealth mode, people love to hit me or not notice me...
Old 02-05-2003, 08:23 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Stealth mode is a big rumor. I got a ticket today.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:20 PM
SVXdriver_007

Re: Stealth mode?

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I was so happy that my electrical problem was so small (corroded grounding strap to the battery) That when I was driving back to work I had kind of a heavy foot! I was doing about 50 in a 35 zone.... and saw a patrol car with his radar gun aimed right at me. I was so sure I was about to get my first moving violation ticket in 25 years of driving that I just took my foot off the gas as I went by him... I didn't slam on the brake.... I was looking for a place to pull over and checking my rear view mirror when I noticed he was still pointing the gun back the way I came from. I pulled over anyway to wait for the guy to pull out. He never came....... He had to see me .... did the gun malfunction? I almost went back to ask.... then he pulled out and got the 3rd car that went by...(looked like he was doing the Speed limit to me..)

So, where is the switch for the radar jamming equipment? I don't want to bump it inadvertently!!!!
I wouldn't call it stealth mode but a guy in a Suv , on the phone was more than willing to play decoy for me. I was doing about 70ish in a 55 when I spotted car 54 ahead of me woth a good line of site. I was sure I was nailed till my new friend speeds by on his phone executes 2 illegal lane changes and buzzez the cop at at least 80mph. Gotta love it
Old 02-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: excuses work

Gratz on not getting a ticket, but typically if you are going the same rate of speed as your partners in crime (i.e. the people around you) you are safe. Although you are speeding (with the rest of them) cops typically pull over people who are overly speeding (i.e. passing others) or target traffic hazards (people who are driving slower causing people to weave in and out of traffic). I remember reading from Georgia's DMV regulations somewhere on their site (while trying to fight a speeding ticket) that it is against the law for you to create an environment/situation that has potential risks of accidents. So I guess that's why I know people that said "Officer/Judge, I was keeping up with the traffic and maintaining a safe buffer between my cars and the others around me to prevent accidents." to get off getting a ticket or winning in court. Obvious that doesn't work if the cop's a jerk (unless you can prove it with a videotape of the cars around you while you were driving to show angles of the people around you as you were driving.) or if you are blantly 20mph faster than everyone else.

note - most people drive 10-15mph over the speed limit so you're pretty safe.

note 2 - if you are alone on the road that argument doesn't work . in that case you are just speeding. ;D

good luck
Old 02-05-2003, 10:31 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
It all depends on how clean your car is, what kind of wax it has on and where he is pointing it at and what he is using. By ORD, there is a radar check station. I can zoom past that at 90+ and it can not hit me. But its a machine that reads out your speed. With a cop, I had been hit by a laser before. He told me that it was a pain since he had to get it in my front plate as I flew past him at 50 (in the 25 zone). I do have a IPass on top of my plate and I have a pair smoke plates.

Radar detectors do work in the SVX. Just give you a lot less warning. But the biggest trick is to know the traffic you are in and where cops can hide. Behind bends, bridges, hills etc.

Good luck

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:34 PM

Re: re: excuses work

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
(unless you can prove it with a videotape of the cars around you while you were driving to show angles of the people around you as you were driving.)
Give me a couple of days... I will be able to do that again.

When the cop pull up to you, I have gotten away by scaring him. Toss something unexpected. I once told that cop that he is being video taped and the conversation is being recorded by my computer in the trunk (which was true). He let me of really quickly.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 02-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: that's great

Great Lwin, I'll try that next .

beats pulling up my shirt and flashing my chest hairs to try to get off the hook ;D

Excuses....we need excuses list:

Hello Officer, smile you're on camera! (although it could backfire, he could pull out a plunger ........ then take your tape).

Hello Officer, did you see get that blue intrepid's license? I got the first 2 numbers. It's been following me for the past 4 exits. I'm was so scared I did not know what to do. I tried exiting and getting back on the expressway and it did the same.....

Hello Officer, i've got diarreah....

feel free to add your favorite excuse to 'attempt' to talk a cop out of giving you a ticket.

BTW - Lwin did the guy call you back with the price yet?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
very interesting....

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
It all depends on how clean your car is, what kind of wax it has on and where he is pointing it at and what he is using. By ORD, there is a radar check station. I can zoom past that at 90+ and it can not hit me. But its a machine that reads out your speed. With a cop, I had been hit by a laser before. He told me that it was a pain since he had to get it in my front plate as I flew past him at 50 (in the 25 zone). I do have a IPass on top of my plate and I have a pair smoke plates.

Radar detectors do work in the SVX. Just give you a lot less warning. But the biggest trick is to know the traffic you are in and where cops can hide. Behind bends, bridges, hills etc.

Good luck

L
I don't have a front plate.... ???
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-05-2003, 11:51 PM

In order for the laser to work, it has to bounce off something. They normally aim for the front plate since plates are the most reflective things you have on your car.

L
Old 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Radar

One of the things I learned doing alot of cross country cruising (even back in the early 70's, before the 55 joke) was to make your time from crest to crest if your in hilly country, that is, let your speed bleed off as you reach the crest and can get a sight line thru the next depression, then zoom down and again let your speed bleed off a bit as you approach the next crest... and look out for car 54 waiting on the on ramps........

A question for all you engeneers, can one build a radar detector that will send back a signal to the radar gun that says, for example, "65" when your really doing 95?

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:02 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Cool Funny little thing....

I have never been stopped or gotten a moving violation before (amazing but true). But I have been in cars that have been stopped at night and one thing that I have noticed is that the cop never fails to blind you and your passenger with that massive Mag Lite that he has.... I have always wanted to have a 2 million candle power spot light pluged in and when the cop comes up to the window and asks "How are you doing" I would flash that big spot light right at him and reply nice and loud "Fine officer how 'bout you???" ...... But I am almost positive that he would draw his gun on me and possibly think that I am some crazy bastard and shoot me..... The last thing that I need is to have my command hear about how I blinded a cop on the side of the road and got a gun pulled on me and arrested for it!!!!! I don't know how I'd explane that one

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: Radar

Quote:
Originally posted by blackbolt94red
A question for all you engeneers, can one build a radar detector that will send back a signal to the radar gun that says, for example, "65" when your really doing 95?
It's called a radar jammer, and they've been advertised in many car magazines. They're grossly illegal at the municipal, state, and federal levels (maybe even the UN, who knows what those wackos are doing?).

Want an interesting experience? Have a cop discover a jammer in your car.
2001 Outback Sport