How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-31-2002, 07:34 AM
Joe Bennett

Amp output

First, I am not a do-it-myself mechanic..
I went to a Specialty Battery Store, due to the warranty, with the battery in the truck to have it checked. It was bad and replaced. I asked him to check also the battery in my Red 93 SVX LSL. He reported the battery was low, and my alternator was bad, not putting out enough under load. I go to the mechanic, He checked it, with the same response. I believe he said the amp output should be between 11 to 13. He put on four (4) NEW alternators before he got one with the correct output.
Just because they are new does not mean they are correct.

Joe Bennett, new member
Red 93 SVX LSL, mlg/70840
Black 92 LSL, mlg/67053
Maroon 87 GL10 Turbo Wagon, mlg/180,000
Old 01-15-2003, 06:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Dammit Beav, why do you have to be right all the time?! My newly installed rebuilt from OReilly's popped the other night. At first, it wasn't putting out any voltage and I was worried that the battery would be drained by the time I got home. Then on the way home, the voltage started climbing until it maxed out the voltage meter built in to my radio. I take it back to them the next day and wouldn't you know that it's on back order! It still has a bad diode and possibly other issues, but I went ahead and got the voltage regulator fixed so I can at least drive a little while I contemplate my options.

So here's the question. Where can I buy the most robust/upgraded alternator that is guaranteed to be good the first time? I seem to recall someone having theirs rebuilt by a specialty shop, but I haven't found it in the archives yet.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I'm glad to be out of the OReilly's area. I'd have to shoot myself if I had to continue doing biz with 'Third Time's a Charm Auto Parts'. It always seemed that the first part was wrong and the second one broken or otherwise defective.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Dammit Beav, why do you have to be right all the time?! ...snip...
Where can I buy the most robust/upgraded alternator that is guaranteed to be good the first time? ...snip
I always found it to be amazing how Beav made the correct diagnosis over the internet - and it IS all the time isn't it.

If you don't find a source, here's what I would recommend: Ask car people you respect for recommendations of local auto electrical shops that specialize in starters/alternators, etc. The parts to upgrade output, etc aren't custom, they just need to know what you want.

I based this on me getting starter work done on my Norton - about the same difficulty as SVX work. I asked at my favorite garage (now closed, owner died ), "which electrical house is the best?". Then I went to the mechanics where I work and asked the same. Cross-referencing the names yielded one in common. Went there, haven't been sorry. Later, applied same reasoning to my tranny overhaul, so far so good after 8K miles.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:31 AM

That was my next plan of attack. The one local starter/alternator shop told me flat out that they don't even touch imports usually. They were just doing me a favor putting in the new regulator. I haven't contacted other shops in the area yet, but they're all at least 20 miles away from home, which presents a small problem in itself since I need to be able to drive the car during the week.

Anyone got a core in decent condition to sell to me?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
If you don't find a source, here's what I would recommend: Ask car people you respect for recommendations of local auto electrical shops that specialize in starters/alternators, etc. The parts to upgrade output, etc aren't custom, they just need to know what you want.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
http://www.chuysautoelectric.com/alternatopage.html

This is a shop that did Shotsky1's alternator. He has a high demand system and had them add an externally-adjustable voltage regulator. They can rebuild your alternator to 150amps or higher.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 01-15-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:11 AM

Thanks, but their site is not exactly the most useful in terms of telling me if they can even get an SVX alternator let alone how long and how much.

I'm down to the following choices:

Bosch unknown amperage

Bosch 110 amp but very expensive

or

Cheap w/3yr warranty but unknown

decisions decisions....

KuoH
Old 01-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

The shop that rebuilt mine did a great job (they won't upgrade the amps much though b/c he said something about some of the parts not being able to handle much more power and wearing it would out faster). Charge was in the neighborhood of $120 flat rate for rebuilds. They took about 5 days to do it and the thing came back looking brand new, all the parts were replaced (not just the bad ones) and it comes with a 1 year warranty. The place is called Lancaster Starter and Alt. Mike green1995svx recommended them. If you'd like I can lend you my spare and then you could send it back when done. Granted you'd have to pay shipping but the offer is there.

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Thanks, but their site is not exactly the most useful in terms of telling me if they can even get an SVX alternator let alone how long and how much.

I'm down to the following choices:

Bosch unknown amperage

Bosch 110 amp but very expensive

or

Cheap w/3yr warranty but unknown

decisions decisions....

KuoH
Old 01-15-2003, 09:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Contact John Shotsky on the Yahoo SVX Club/Groups.
He is the guru of the SVX electrical system.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the offer, but the shipping will probably add up to the cost of just ordering one via next day air. I'm just trying to decide on which vendor to trust on getting a good rebuilt instead of another dud.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
If you'd like I can lend you my spare and then you could send it back when done. Granted you'd have to pay shipping but the offer is there.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I've had two SVX alternators upgraded to 115 Amps here in Milwaukee with great success. They charge $158.10 to rebuild and upgrade the alternator.

I'd highly recommend them.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker