Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-02-2002, 05:52 PM

loud knock in motor

After my svx sat idle for a month while I converted it to a 5sp, it made a bit of a tapping noise. Thinking that one of the lifters had simply collapsed, I poured in two bottles of cd2 and drove it for 200mi and then the bolt holding the tensioner pully to the braket broke resulting in the cam belt coming off. The next day I fixed the car and miraculously the the knocking sound had vanished on startup. after about 600 miles, on one cold mourning, I started the car only to hear a tapping which has now evolved into an all out knock. It seems as if it is coming from the front of the motor. I took the accessory belts off and the noise was still there. It also seems to have an uneven exhaust output at idle. My only guesses are either a burnt valve or a bad oil pump. What do the rest of you think?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I ma just sitting here reading your post with my hand over my mouth. The SVX engine has very tight clearances. A hydraulic lash tap would be most likely from gunk in the lifter. Beav had a post about using an engine flush he liked and following the directions exactly. It may be worth your while to try the flush. I hope it is something easy.

What is the cd2 supposed to do?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:38 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I am guessing the oil pump as well. But that thing is buried way underneath.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: loud knock in motor

Quote:
Originally posted by listed
What do the rest of you think?
I think/hope that you aren't driving it and plan to have a pro look at it.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:39 AM
billisa

Like spoons?

If it sounds like holding tight and whacking two spoons together it could be a lifter not getting enough pressure from the oil pump. This happened to my XT-Turbo. If you install a new pump sometimes the sound remains and mechanics automatically think it's the lifter. So, after installing a new pump, if the sound remains, warm up the car, then drive in 2nd to about 4,000 RPM then let your foot off the gas. This forces oil pressure up into the lifters and will silence the noise permanently if the lifter is good. Which in all likelihood, it is. If the noise still persists, then it's likely the lifter is indeed at fault and needs replacing.

Now keep in mind, this was in the 1.8 turbo, though the Subaru manager who told me this implied it was true across the line.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:42 PM

I took the timing belt covers off and found that the driverside cam pulley had, I guess, become loose and spun on the cam destroying the keyway on the cam. I'm gonna yank the motor out on friday and put in the spare motor that I've been trying to find a home for. The motor currently in the car will become a project motor. I'll get lower comp. pistons, more aggressive cams, a turbo, stand alone engine management, and try to get my hands on an sti 6 speed trans. Anyone have any idea as to where I may be able to find some of these parts?
thanks,
Chris
Old 10-09-2002, 09:52 PM

<<and try to get my hands on an sti 6 speed trans. Anyone have any idea as to where I may be able to find some of these parts? >>

Well, if you wait till this Feb, the WRX STi will be here. Then maybe you can get a 6 speed out of one that a salesman wrecks.
:-)