IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Spoiled by SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Well it makes sense... you are comparing an Audi that costs $80K in 2001... a full ten years after the SVX was designed and built. Of coarse it is going to make anything feel like a tin can.

It would be interesting to compare the SVX to a 1991 Audi Quattro coupe...
Comparing prices of things over different periods in time in US dollars is always funny to me, the inflation has been out of control you know..
The US dollar has lost about 25% of its purchasing power in the last 20 years..

Cost of SVX in 1992: $36,740
Price of Gold 1992: $340/oz
Cost of SVX in GOLD: 108oz

Price of Gold 2012: $1600
108oz of gold is worth: $172,000
Do you still think comparing the Audi is unfair?

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 05-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Comparing prices of things over different periods in time in US dollars is always funny to me, the inflation has been out of control you know..
The US dollar has lost about 25% of its purchasing power in the last 20 years..

Cost of SVX in 1992: $36,740
Price of Gold 1992: $340/oz
Cost of SVX in GOLD: 108oz

Price of Gold 2012: $1600
108oz of gold is worth: $172,000
Do you still think comparing the Audi is unfair?
Yes. Take a look at the development in gold prices for the last 30 years. Study the graph and tell me it isn't inflated You can't measure it in gold, gold has a valuation life of it's own.

From a currency calculator:

$36,740.00 in 1992 had the same buying power as $60,124.65 in 2012.
Annual inflation over this period was 2.49%.
I'm ready to f...
Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Yes. Take a look at the development in gold prices for the last 30 years. Study the graph and tell me it isn't inflated You can't measure it in gold, gold has a valuation life of it's own.

From a currency calculator:

$36,740.00 in 1992 had the same buying power as $60,124.65 in 2012.
Annual inflation over this period was 2.49%.
Edit: So which car can you buy today for 60 grand with the maximum trim and equipment level? 36k was the ultimate SVX in 1992, wasn't it?
I'm ready to f...
Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Actually, I think the 1992 SVX LS ran $26,000 and the LS-L around $28,000 list, and topped out somewhere north of $34,000 for a '97.

I've always bragged about how I got $56,000 worth of automobiles in my driveway for a lump sum under five grand. Most folks I know have lost more on interest and depreciation in the past 10 years than I paid for my cars, upkeep included.

dcb
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I think a first gen TT is a very good car to compare to the SVX. It's very similar in many ways. It's a 2+2, and has about the same power, along with all wheel drive. Whenever I have a TT at work, I find that it reminds me of the SVX in a lot of ways. The TT was also a concept car that was put into production with minimal changes, just like the SVX.

2001 Audi S8

Last edited by Green1995SVX; 05-21-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
To be fair, they probably still have meatier tires, right?
Yes.

SVX: 225/40/18

S8: 245/45/18

It's a much bigger tire. I had originally had continentals on my SVX, and found that the ride was not the best. At the start of this season, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sports, and it made a huge difference. The car has a great ride now by comparison.

With regard to my original post. I really don't think that the S8 and SVX are cars that can really be compared. The S8 is an enormous car with a huge amount of power. It does just about everything better than the SVX, but it's certainly not as interesting. It was a very expensive car when it was new, but thanks to Audi's awful resale value, they're not too expensive now. A decent higher mileage example can be had for around $10k.

When I made my comment, I was referring to both of my audis. My A6 is a smaller car than the S8, but still has the same engine (albeit a version with 60 less hp), and that car has an entirely different feel. The S8 is still faster, mainly because of its aluminum construction. There are some things about the SVX that I like better than the A6, and some things about the A6 that I like better than the SVX.

I have noticed that a lot of members of this forum from the past who have since moved on to other cars, have progressed to Audis. I think they are a natural progression for an SVX owner as Subaru doesn't really make a truly luxurious performance oriented car. But anyway, what I'm basically trying to say is this: Natural progression? Yes. Comparable cars? Not really.
2001 Audi S8
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Registered SVX

I have to agree that the SVX does tend to spoil ya The transition from my (recently sold) SVX into this 97 Leg. Outback sucks. The 2.5 is just too damn underpowered compared to the 3.3 (which is to be expected considering its 2 cylinders short). And the ride/handling/braking (when you take out the fact that it is a wagon) is crap compared to the SVX. The only thing it has going for it? More space for when I go camping and cargo, and better MPG (~5mpg more around town than the SVX got). But I can't really ***** for the price I paid, given the circumstances. I'll still stick with Subaru over any other car for the time being, and I will definitely have another SVX in the future.

I will say this much: For the short amount of time I owned my SVX, it was by far the best, most fun to drive, comfortable, and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Period. That alone is saying something. In the 6 years I've been driving, I've owned close to 20 cars (rough estimate, on the high side). The SVX is the only one that I find myself actually missing dearly (with my 88 Fiero running a moderate second place, but there is still no comparison between the two). I could cite my 93 3kgt VR4, but I never got to drive it, so its a moot point. Beautiful car, but repair/maintenance costs make the SVX look like a Kia in comparison.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hi, in 1971 the US stopped backing its dollar with gold.
From that point on the gold market has been going up...
From that point the purchasing power of the dollar has declined.

Gold is not inflated...
It is the value of paper money that is correcting to the gold price...

Gold is real money.
Fiat currency is not money, Dollars are backed by nothing but a printing press, fiat money is debt based economics...

You can still buy 1 gallon of gas for $0.20 in US 90% silver coins, just like you could 40 years ago...

Let this 12 year old explain to you how the Rothschild central banking cartel has basically robbed the people of every nation of their wealth and replaced it with debt based fiat currency.

And if your wondering if your country is getting robbed like this, the answer is yes unless you live in Cuba, North Korea or Iran.

As of the year 2000, there were seven countries without a Rothschild-owned Central Bank:

Afghanistan
Iraq
Sudan
Libya
Cuba
North Korea
Iran

Ever wonder where NATO and the US get their list of countries to attack???

So as of now, after the wars, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and Sudan now have central banks...
So, unless you live in Cuba, North Korea, or Iran..
Your is being currency devalued at the consent of your government in exchange for the ability to barrow unlimited amounts of currency at interest.

Edit:
Here, if the 12 year old is over your head...

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 05-24-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Thank you for this compelling evidence.

Gold is not inflated.

The jews run the world, depriving good christians from a decent life.

I would like to talk more about this but I don't want to go to a Sea Org RPF, so please have me excused.
I'm ready to f...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I would like to talk more about this but I don't want to go to a Sea Org RPF, so please have me excused.
What does that mean?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
What does that mean?
No offence intended!
I'm ready to f...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
What does that mean?
That's worthy of a lmgtfy!

It's also quite funny.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
That's worthy of a lmgtfy!

It's also quite funny.
Yea it was.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM

Registered SVX

Who hijacked this thread????.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thank you for this compelling evidence.

Gold is not inflated.

The jews run the world, depriving good christians from a decent life.

What does this have to do with religion?

I have watched over the last 30 years as my family has been robbed of their wealth by the bankers and the government..
I have watched the purchasing power of the dollars in their saving account drop.
I have seen the interest rates the banks are paying, which doesn't even keep up with inflation..
I watched my grandfather go from being able to support himself on his pension to having to sell the family house and move in together as prices rose and his fixed income didn't.
This is not something that I am imagining, this is real.
The middle class of the US is being destroyed..

There was a time when you could work hard, bank money, collect interest and retire. Those days are gone now.
Putting money in the bank at this point is just losing wealth...Your better off spending it when you get it.
Which is how they want it, how they need it, how it must be for a consumer based economy that is fueled by a debt backed currency..

Maybe the videos were not clear enough...
Lets go back in in time 100 years ago.. The year is 1913..
Times are tough for Americans, the banks wont loan money, businesses cant get loans, they cant hire, they cant expand, the economy is stalling, its getting tough to find money, prices are rising, there is deflation going on, the dollar is strong.

So, in 1913 The US government passes the "Federal Reserve Act" granting the power to print money to the federal reserve in order to stop the deflation.
What is the Federal Reserve? Well its a private company, no more "Federal" than Federal Express.
Who owns the Federal Reserve? Its made up of the largest bankers.
These same bankers that are choosing to not loan out money then convinced the government that they need the ability to print money in order to be able to have enough money to loan out.
In exchange for this ability to print and control the money supply, the bankers offer the government a blank check to draw upon, but at interest.
Why would a government do this? Well if your a government and you want to print money its free you can just do it, why have someone else do and charge you interest?
Here is the key, by borrowing money from the FED the government can fund wars, programs, whatever without having to pass a direct tax onto the people.
Inflation is a Tax, well hidden tax in plain sight.

Ok, so now its 1920, the bankers now control the money supply. The banks no longer need to actually have the money they are loaning out on hand anymore. Things are on an upswing, money is cheap now, and banks can create new money simply by writing out a loan.
If a bank has 100,000 in deposits, and they loan out 1,000,000, where does that other $900,000 come from? That $900k comes out of thin air.
Money created from thin air devalues the rest of the dollars in the market, causing inflation. This is what is called fractional reserve banking, and it is how the world works...

Well we let that continue on for 50 years..Welcome to 1970.
By now the world had noticed that dollars were cheap. The printing had just continued for 50 years with no end in sight. Countries began to get nervous about all the cheap dollars, so they started to convert dollars to gold. Until this time other countries could trade the the US $35 us dollars for 1oz of gold. So we decided to no longer convert US dollars to gold.

The world was not happy with us, you may remember some gas crisis thing going on..
Well since we had a currency backed by nothing now that they unpeg it from gold.. The oil rich nations were weary about accepting dollars for there oil.
Our solution? OPEC. Welcome to the the oil backed dollar.
All oil will be sold in US dollars only. Thanks for shopping with us.
Price? Protection of Saudi Arabia and their interests, and other fun fun stuff in the middle east.

Welcome to 2001, Iraq says were going to sell oil in Euros.
Enter shock and awe. You be a good little country now and keep accepting dollars..
Afghanistan says were going to run a pipeline to Russia and let them do the rare earth mining..
Lets take over that terrorist government!

Welcome to today, 2012, things are bad..
100 years of fiat currency has robbed all the wealth from the working class.
We are all but surfs, working for our banking masters, slaving away at jobs to make ends meet..

1912: 1oz gold = $20 US Dollars
2012: 1oz gold = $1550 US Dollars
That is 77% of every dollar that has been lost...Thanks Federal Reserve!

Don't mind me...sometime I forgot I'm not posting on the Ron Paul Forums...
I will stop hijacking your thread now conn and end this off topic discussion now...