How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 01:37 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Man windows 95 doesn't have any USB support, they have a USB supplement for it but that doesn't work with most things. Almost every peripheral is switching to usb, you might have to upgrade soon.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Certain things in life have a premium pricetag, and for good reason.
Sorry but you just can't compare a Mac to an SVX. Since when has an expensive computer gotten you a girl? You can drive up and down the main strip all you want with a Mac on display and NO ONE will look twice. Except maybe to wonder why there's a computer on the roof of your car. An SVX carries a premium pricetag for obvious reasons, i have yet to see a good reason for a Mac to be more expensive than a PC. They used to be the premiere graphics workstations for any business, then Steve-o decided to switch his focus to home use, and lost the high-end graphics game to SGI. Now his company really has no ground to stand on. I will say that the G4s look really nice, and their flat panel montors rival the best names in PC screens, but unfortunately looks mean very little in the computer world.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:37 PM
Hater

you can get girls with your SVX? i just thought they attracted weirdos. for some reason, i got more stares in my Lesabre T-type than in the 928 and SVX combined. it looked much faster than it actually was. lots of people are thrilled with American junk. that Buick was my last American car, until i see some evidence of major quality control improvements.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-17-2002, 02:52 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Sorry but you just can't compare a Mac to an SVX. Since when has an expensive computer gotten you a girl?
Not everything I own is made to get poon tang. :P And if you need a car to get girls.... eh... ..

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
You can drive up and down the main strip all you want with a Mac on display and NO ONE will look twice. Except maybe to wonder why there's a computer on the roof of your car. An SVX carries a premium pricetag for obvious reasons, i have yet to see a good reason for a Mac to be more expensive than a PC.
I disagree. First off, the titanium powerbooks are dead sexy. :P Anyway, here are my reasons for not using windows:

1. I hate windows.
2. Windows crashes a lot, and the BSOD.
3. XP is butt ugly
4. Every Mac I've ever used just had a high quality 'feel' to the OS.
5. Troubleshooting on a mac is easy, I spend almost ZERO time finicking with it.
6. Less downtime= more uptime
7. Digital Video. I don't know if you've tried doing DV stuff on both systems, but MAN on a mac its so easy a monkey could do it.
8. No annoying software 'updates' that are 100megs each
9. Virus? What's a virus? I dunno, been downloading everythign I can get my hands on for over 8 years and never had one
10. beige
11. What software do you have for PC that there is NOT a comparative one for a mac? I mean, really, yay, you PC guys have 1,323,298 screensavers to choose from. Who cares really. All the GOOD applications are on macs already, having a mac is like a BS software filter.
12. I can run windows, I have virtual PC on my iMac.
13. PCs don't get OSX

Need more? That's all I can think off the top of my head.

- Ca$h
Old 09-17-2002, 02:56 PM
sith

Actually, I was in best buy last night, overheard an employee joking mocking a girl for asking if they had apple gear. I stepped in with "Do the mac owners need to represent?!" and got to talking to the girl. So, macs do get girls. Sort of. Except I'll never see her again. Cry.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I will never argue with anyone who says windows sucks. It's kind of a given these days. Any company that has the kind of market share that microsoft does will never have to worry about the quality of their product. I am in the process of switching to windows 2000 cause it's the best...no, strike that...least ridiculous of all the windows operating systems. However, i don't understand how Mac guys can rave that their systems are so stable. Every Mac i have ever seen, even the G4 towers (which i guess are supposed to be the best), has had more problems with stability than my computer. Though i have had very few stability problems, for the few times i have used a Mac, i would expect to see NO problems...yet i see many. So to me, all these claims of stability mean nothing cause i have yet to see evidence of it.

I think i actually saw a monkey doing DV work on a Mac once. The problem with that though is the ridiculous amount of processor power they use to make it so "user friendly". I don't mind having to study a little bit to work faster. God knows it took me almost a full year to learn 3D StudioMax, but now i can get projects done in half the time it takes to do them on a Mac.

I worked at Circuit City a few years back...we had a massive software section, and 95% was PC software. I would really rather not have to trek all the way out to the "Double click" Apple store and deal with their arrogant sales people (who seem to have very little knowledge of the produts they are selling), just to get software for my Mac, when i can just borrow the program i need from one of my friends (who all have PCs).

It is that last factor that really makes the Mac what it is to me. Not so much the computer, though there are plenty of things i don't like about it, it is really the fact that 95% of the support out there is for PCs, and it just keeps growing. Apple has done very little to turn the market trends in their favor, so it's only a matter of time before we will be saying "Remember that company..."

So i guess it's really a case of a bad company with a good product. Unfortunately, that product probably won't last too long.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Hater

my XP has never crashed on me. i guess getting "all the DOS out" was a good thing. as for the "Fisher-Price" theme - it doesn't bother me. you get can rid of the fancy graphic effects to speed it up. i really wouldn't care if the toolbars were purple and the tower was held together by duct tape, as long as its fast and reliable. it is. its a computer, not a freakin' work of art. what's next, you need to have a artsy looking see-through toaster to class up the kitchen? "oooh, look - the wires are heating up! too bad 95% of the bread doesn't fit in it."

Old 09-17-2002, 05:03 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

I disagree. First off, the titanium powerbooks are dead sexy. :P Anyway, here are my reasons for not using windows:

1. I hate windows.
2. Windows crashes a lot, and the BSOD.
3. XP is butt ugly
4. Every Mac I've ever used just had a high quality 'feel' to the OS.
5. Troubleshooting on a mac is easy, I spend almost ZERO time finicking with it.
7. Digital Video. I don't know if you've tried doing DV stuff on both systems, but MAN on a mac its so easy a monkey could do it.
9. Virus? What's a virus? I dunno, been downloading everythign I can get my hands on for over 8 years and never had one
10. beige
11. What software do you have for PC that there is NOT a comparative one for a mac? I mean, really, yay, you PC guys have 1,323,298 screensavers to choose from. Who cares really. All the GOOD applications are on macs already, having a mac is like a BS software filter.
12. I can run windows, I have virtual PC on my iMac.
13. PCs don't get OSX

Need more? That's all I can think off the top of my head.

- Ca$h
I disagree. Here are my reasons for not using Macs:

1. I hate MacOS.
2. MacOS crashes a lot
3. MacOS is butt ugly
4. Every PC I've ever used just had a high quality 'feel' to the OS.
5. Troubleshooting on a PC is easy, I spend almost ZERO time finicking with it.
7. Digital Video. I don't know if you've tried doing DV stuff on both systems, but MAN on a PC its so easy a monkey could do it.
9. Virus? What's a virus? I dunno, been downloading everythign I can get my hands on for over 12 years and never had one
10. Macs=Fruity
11. Everything is available for Windows, whereas Mac has a very limited software selection. Having a Mac is like only being able to drive a golf cart, can't go on 95% of public roads.
12. I don't have to run an inefficient PC emulator to run real PC applications.
13. Macs don't get XP
Old 09-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I've had a white box 200Mhz, 3.2 gig HD PC w/33.6 dial-up modem for almost 5 years. I use it like an interactive TV set. It has never blown-up or crashed & burned. I refuse to open the back & poke around in there. I carry a Day-at-a-Glance day timer & a BIC pen; not a PDA, Blackberry, or Dingleberry. Somehow I know where I'm going, who to talk to, & where I've been.
So please Dr. Phil - tell me what I'm missing!

Medieval forever - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Bought a new pc in Feb with windows XP. I needed an upgrade for DV work.

As yet, it has never crashed and the DV work is a piece of cake using ulead studio.

I have an aquaintance who is Mac mad. I downloaded a desktop theme which resembles a Mac. So far, he thinks that I have the fastest Mac going!!!

Andy
Old 09-18-2002, 04:31 AM
Hater

i miss my old Sinclair computer.......

Old 09-18-2002, 04:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Is this a PC/Max Forum??

Well, to tell you MY opinion they ALL suck. I've been using these damn things since before many of you where born (~1981 when I built my Sinclair with 1K RAM) and I STILL can't stand them.

They do, HOWEVER, get the job done and without them I'd be jobless or in construction.

My computer, he!! all of our computers! are so unreliable. More than ANYTHING else we use in our day to day lives - it is sickening.

Can you imagine your fridge, oven, CAR, phone, bicycle, ANYTHING that 'crashes' on a daily/weekly/ even monthly basis?

Mac/PC. NO DIFFERENCE. I wish there where other options outside the box. I like what the students at MIT are working on. Wearable computers. Talk to them and they talk back. I'd like them to be a simple extension of myself instead of sitting in my cube at the keyboard all day.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:43 AM
$VX

Seriously, with a PC you need a program to import dv, a program to edit it, a program to export it, and if you wanted to compress it you also need another program.

With macs...pffft.. . I just started using iMovie2. It's limited yeah, but I figure once I dominate it I'll just use Final Cut. DV rules.

- Ca$h
Old 09-18-2002, 10:23 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
They all have their advantages and fall backs. Macs are good for multimedia. PCs on the other hand does the day to day things done and software is cheap. *nix are great servers. So, it all depends on what you want to do and what you need. I personally like all of them. I run a linux server and a xp computer. I am eyeing a powermac g3 that my friend is tossing out. Might be fun.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Hater

Re: Is this a PC/Max Forum??

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse

My computer, he!! all of our computers! are so unreliable. More than ANYTHING else we use in our day to day lives - it is sickening.

Can you imagine your fridge, oven, CAR, phone, bicycle, ANYTHING that 'crashes' on a daily/weekly/ even monthly basis?
i've had my Vaio w/XP since May and its never crashed.