How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2002, 02:37 AM
Boone

Your mileage is way out of line, like the other symptoms.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:40 AM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone

If either of the cams are out of synch with the crankshaft just a tiny bit you could have these problems in theory. See what others here think but a second opinion is in order. B.
The crankshaft seal was replaced with the timing belt, and like I said, the dealer said everything was fine in there.

I was reading about the IRIS system. I was thinking, maybe some airflow component was screwed up in there....i dunno.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:49 AM
I_Alcyone_I

I hope you find out the problem, and it isn't costly. I have to get some sleep or else I'd rack my brain some more trying to come up with possible solutions.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If I'm reading this right, you're stating that the car only runs bad below 3000 rpm? Does it ever get above 3000?

Has the car ever run properly since you've owned it? If so, what was the last thing done to it before it started running this way?

Take your time, be clear and don't try to diagnose anything, just relate the facts.

So far it appears that either you have a t-belt problem (installed incorrectly or something is wrong that caused it to jump a tooth) ot possibly one or more clogged convertors. Maybe a fuel pump is going bad and not supplying enough fuel.

The SelectMonitor only deals with electronic components and not mechanical issues, that's why it's not 'seeing' anything wrong.

Do not go back to that dealer, it's readily apparently they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Nobody tells someone to sell their car because they can't figure out how to repair it. They might recommend selling it because repairs will be more than the car is worth, but that's another story. They haven't even figured out what is wrong, so that's not an issue.

Even if they changed the t-belt I'll bet a dollar to a donut that they're too lazy to pull the covers and actually look to see if the belt is installed correctly. That would take at least 15 minutes and they just don't have that kind of time... I've worked with guys like that and I know their modus operandi.

Don't worry about the gas the previous owner used, while it may have caused a performance hit for her, it's seriously doubtful that it would have caused any long term problems. If it had you never would have bought the car in the first place.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:36 AM
Ticallion

I had a very similar problem with my Intrepid. Three of my spark plug wires were cut. Not completely through, just the insulation. On turns or bumps, the wires would come near the valve cover and cause a spark. Since the spark no longer occurred at the spark plug, it caused a tremendous loss of power. Sometimes it would idle on three or four cylinders. Check your cables, spark plugs, try different brand of fuel... check your timing.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:25 AM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
If I'm reading this right, you're stating that the car only runs bad below 3000 rpm? Does it ever get above 3000?

Has the car ever run properly since you've owned it? If so, what was the last thing done to it before it started running this way?

Take your time, be clear and don't try to diagnose anything, just relate the facts.

So far it appears that either you have a t-belt problem (installed incorrectly or something is wrong that caused it to jump a tooth) ot possibly one or more clogged convertors. Maybe a fuel pump is going bad and not supplying enough fuel.

The SelectMonitor only deals with electronic components and not mechanical issues, that's why it's not 'seeing' anything wrong.

Do not go back to that dealer, it's readily apparently they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Nobody tells someone to sell their car because they can't figure out how to repair it. They might recommend selling it because repairs will be more than the car is worth, but that's another story. They haven't even figured out what is wrong, so that's not an issue.

Even if they changed the t-belt I'll bet a dollar to a donut that they're too lazy to pull the covers and actually look to see if the belt is installed correctly. That would take at least 15 minutes and they just don't have that kind of time... I've worked with guys like that and I know their modus operandi.

Don't worry about the gas the previous owner used, while it may have caused a performance hit for her, it's seriously doubtful that it would have caused any long term problems. If it had you never would have bought the car in the first place.
It gets past 3,000 just fine if i'm flooring the thing.

The car has never run perfectly. I was young and stupid when I bought it, and never really checked it out. But don't worry, the used car dealer and I are going through court now, and I have a feeling he's gonna get his ass kicked, both figuratively and actually.

Fuel pump bad? Don't think so...it feeds the car so fast i'm getting only 12 MPG!

Clogged converters?

Yup, that dealer sucks. They're cheap, though...lol. The timing belt and the crank. seal together was only like $400, and they INSIST 12 MPG is "average" for SVX's

Anyone know a good Long Island/New York City dealer?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:26 AM
CopsodyX

Oh, and if my car is idling WITHOUT the A/C on, in neutral, if I stab and release the gas, it stalls out. Anything?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:19 PM
The Road Less Traveled

CopsodyX,

Do a search on my posts using the word hesitation.

I've got 3 letters for you: MAF. No codes for me, and I ended up hunting the problem down for a long time.

I think the only way to test is to swap in a known good one. Anyone in the area that can, um, lend him one to test?

G'Luck!

VK
Old 09-16-2002, 01:03 PM

I'm having these same symptoms, right after I put 85 in the other day, which I don't normally do.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:25 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
I'm having these same symptoms, right after I put 85 in the other day, which I don't normally do.
85!?! Holy ****! I've never seen such low octane, the lowest i've ever seen was 87.

Yup, it's official...the car runs better with 87 than with 93. VERY strange.

The MAF is still under warranty...it was replaced in 2/02, exactly a week before she sold the car. Maybe it was a bad sensor, and she thought her car had major problems, and got rid of it?

Any other ideas?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:35 PM

I've no scientific basis for it. Nor do I know my head from my ass when it comes to octane, but it does actually feel like the car runs better with 87 than 91. I started noticing this a while back.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 09-16-2002 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:37 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
There's no scientific basis for it. Nor do I know my head from my ass when it comes to octane, but it does actually feel like the car runst better with 87 than 91. I've noticed this for a while now.
YOU TOO!?

I'll bet that my car, running with 89 for 10 years, is simply unable to adjust back to 91. Anyone agree? How to fix?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

YOU TOO!?

I'll bet that my car, running with 89 for 10 years, is simply unable to adjust back to 91. Anyone agree? How to fix?
It's just occurred to me that the previous owner of my car probably put in 87, as at colorado altitude, he thought he could get away with it. As for the car being used to 87, I don't know if there is such a thing.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:47 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:

It's just occurred to me that the previous owner of my car probably put in 87, as at colorado altitude, he thought he could get away with it. As for the car being used to 87, I don't know if there is such a thing.
I think there is...maybe. The computer sends a signal to a mechanical part that tells it to adjust to the different fuel, and maybe that part is stuck or something, and doesn't agree with premium now? Gawd, i'm clueless here.

I went to Subaru today. They are totally useless, and rude. I need a new dealer.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:32 AM

Registered SVX
Copsodyx who ever you are and where ever you live, but presuming you are in fact a fair dinkum SVX owner, please read Beav's post again in detail, take notice of his wise advice, provide all the information he has asked for and THANK him. He has given you a considerable amount of his time which many gladly pay for.

How can one accept that you are genuine when you show no real effort towards finding an answer to the alledged problem which could be in fact just be a hot air obstruction. Your five speed thread has also been noted.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-17-2002 at 03:00 AM.