Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Remote Mount Turbo

I have finally ordered 99% of my parts. Here is a run down of the plan.

I have already removed the muffler and chopped out the spare tire well, to give me the needed clearance so the turbo isn't dragging on the ground. I will keep the turbo lubrication and cooling system separate from the engine cooling and oil system. I have a heater core from an SVX and a 7 inch electric fan, and electric high temp water pump. I also have an oil cooler, another 7 inch electric fan, and electric submersible oil pump. I have an oil catch can that will be mounted as the oil reservoir, as well as a radiator overflow tank that will be the cooling system reservoir. The electric fans and pumps are gonna be wired thru a time delay relay, so it will work kinda like a turbo timer, once i start the car it will power up the relays, and then once shut down, the engine will turn off, but the electric fans and pumps for the turbo will continue to run for another 30 seconds, maybe one minute. I also have a digital oil temp gauge and digital water temp gauge to monitor the turbo temps.

I wanted to do a remote mount build because it will be a sleeper when looked at from under the hood, and also with turbo taking the place of the muffler there is no need for an intercooler. I know a lot of people are concerned with turbo lag, I however am not much concerned with that, because when you add up all the piping going from the turbo, through an intercooler, and then back to the intake, I am sure my piping will only be within a foot or two of that. Also with turbo outside of the engine bay, it should have some nice cool air hitting it as well as cool oil and water, hopefully a side effect of this setup will result in a turbo that is a couple hundred degrees cooler than a typical turbo build. I have just ordered most of my parts, so it will be a little bit until they get here. I will update with more ideas and questions through the week, but the only progress updates on the build will be coming on weekends since I am working late hours through the week. I have a spare engine on my carport with all new gaskets and seals, as well as sr20det injectors. That engine is the one getting turbo'd and the original engine will be done up with seals and gaskets and kept as a spare, or prepped to go into my 03 Baja (that will be another thread though).

The only big part I am missing right now is air fuel ratio with wideband sensor. I have the turbo, ECUTUNE stage 2, MAF, blow off valve, external waste gate, set at 8psi, my electric pumps, fans, coolers, and catch cans. I have some of those things, the rest are on order, or in route.

Any comments, concerns, advice, etc. etc. are welcome

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Re: Remote Mount Turbo

So far my budget is super cheap, but as of now, I am about 1500 bucks into it, not including the trips to auto zone for misc items, hoses, clamps etc. etc. I have been buying parts one at a time for about a year now and now it's starting to come together.

I am also working on my neighbor guys turbo RX7, I am plumbing in some intercooler piping and fabricating some brackets, and he is giving me the clamps, hoses and piping that is left over, just another to keep it on the cheap, lol.

here is a hasty pic of the car getting turbo'd, you can see the Baja and RX7 in the background. Adding the photo isn't working, so please let me know if these links don't work.
http://http://www.facebook.com/photo...type=1&theater
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
So far my budget is super cheap, but as of now, I am about 1500 bucks into it, not including the trips to auto zone for misc items, hoses, clamps etc. etc. I have been buying parts one at a time for about a year now and now it's starting to come together.

I am also working on my neighbor guys turbo RX7, I am plumbing in some intercooler piping and fabricating some brackets, and he is giving me the clamps, hoses and piping that is left over, just another to keep it on the cheap, lol.

here is a hasty pic of the car getting turbo'd, you can see the Baja and RX7 in the background. Adding the photo isn't working, so please let me know if these links don't work.
http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2865591793918&set=a.2443833370221.2 114690.1083470802&type=1&theater
you have an extra set of http:// in both those links
you also were not copying the real image location to do that you needed to have the image pop out of the facebook page.

Last edited by 92 SVX; 02-12-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX

this should work
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX

Even a more conventional installation can be rather "stealthy"....

Other than that I have a similar set up. 370 CC injectors, stage 2 from Michael, N62 MAF.

I have LC-1 wide band with a Innovate gauge hooked up at the analogue output.

Kind regards,

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (201.6 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg turbo and bypass.jpg (147.7 KB, 494 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM

thanks 92SVX

@tapani that is a stealthy build, very nice. How many psi you run? stock internals?

I am excited to get this done for the first hand knowledge of it. I have heard of remote mounts, but that's all, now i can build one. I have thought of getting a pair of pyro's to mount one at the collector, and one just in front of the turbo, but they are fairly expensive, and it would be purely for experimentation, so the cost really doesn't justify a best case scenario of 100 degrees difference

One thing I haven't gotten to yet, is PCV or any other vacuum plumbing. That is something to plan for as it gets closer, maybe just a check valve in stock locations?
This will be a daily driver, spending it's time through the week driving in the city, actually obtaining boost in my normal driving routine, will be intermittent, if at all. I live 3 miles away from my job, and it's all 30 - 45 mph speed limits between home and work. The first few days after the build is complete, I will drive more aggressively just work out kinks, but after that it will be bak to my normal routine of driving miss daisy.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Cool project, Good luck with it! I'm looking forward to the updates on you progress.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

I run 4-5 PSI for now, the engine is stock. The turbo is a non-cooled T4/T3 hybrid. A/R 0.82, B54 compressor wheel. Spools below 2000 rpm. The turbo was installed in 2000 by the previous owner, I have updated the engine management, MAF and the injectors.

Where do you plan to have your MAF? I am under the impression that if you blow thru it you might run into contamination and other issues. If you suck thru it and go with the remote the MAF will be very far from the throttle butterflies and you may see a time lag.

Also when placing the BOV, remember that if the MAF is upstream from the valve you will blow off some already measured air. You might be better off with a by pass valve. I have a Forge all metal one - the plastic Bosch type in the photos is just a PITA.

Even though the remote installation is cool and something different.... you might reconsider a more conventional arrangement . There's enough space.

After I finnish my power train project ( http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58965 ) I might look into an air to water intercooler in place of the metal pressure box. But before that I will try running with E85 - it has an octane level of 105-109 RON and the latent heat of vaporization is significantly higher than gasoline. All this reduces the need for an intercooler. I have the flex fuel version of the stage 2, but never tried it.

Tapani
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I'll be doing my turbo exactly like this (I was hoping to be the first haha)

I have a Hydra EMS, wide band, and heat exchanger out of an 04 Cobra. Planning to pick up some 550 cc injectors and a water to air intercooler and the universtal turbo kit from Squires Turbo Systems.

Interested to see how yours goes. I had no considered cutting the spare tire well... Was kind of hoping it would all fit where the old exhaust would be.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 AM

@STeeL25T a lot of the fitting will depend greatly on the size of the turbo, ultimately I want turbo pistons, and to be somewhere in the 18psi + range, so I got a big turbo GT35, and by big I mean she hogs up all the room under there and was asking to get yanked off by the first speed bump I went over, so that was why I chopped out the spare tire well, and also to make room for separate cooling systems, and oiling systems.

If your using a smaller turbo, and the engine cooling/oiling system you should have enough room to fit everything and keep the spare tire well. Good luck, with your build as well.

BTW If you doing a remote mount turbo, there is no need for an intercooler, although doing both should have the charge hitting the cylinder about the same temp as A/C wink, wink.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM

Just an update on a few parts that arrived. I have my electric pumps, one for coolant is 8.2L/m (132 GPH) and not sure which one I will use for my oil system, choices are 3.8Lm (1GPM) or the other is 6.5L/m (100GPH). I want to run a couple tests on the smaller two pumps to see how much psi each will build before I use it. I think the 3.8L pump will give me the flow for the oil system, but not if it's 3.8L @5psi. on the other hand the 100GPH pump going through all the oil cooler and line to the turbo may be something like 40GPH @ 35psi. I will update here once tested.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Figure out how to post those pictures yet? Lets get some pics!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM

will try to upload some pics of parts on hand tonight after work, I am just home for lunch right now.

Also for the MAF and BOV, I am gonna extend the wiring to put the MAFright onto the turbo, as for the BOV it's gonna be close to the throttle body, and yes when it does blow off, it will vent metered air, but that will be ok because I am not that fast and furious guy who drives like an idiot just to hear my BOV pop every time I move the car2 feet or more LOL. You guys know who I am referring too ( the guys who hang out at auto zone and buy the flaming floor mats with matching steering wheel cover ;D.

I am a defensive driver to the max, anytime i get on the throttle hard, I roll onto it, and the same when letting off, I roll off it. I don't intend on hitting max boost 13 times a day like some of these kids around here, like I said earlier, in my normal routine I may build 3-4 psi of boost once a week when going back and forth to work Monday through Friday.

Eventually I want to build a daily driver/STI-killer, but the limits of the engine haven't really been proven so for now I will take it slow, start out at 8psi and go from there.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Putting it right on the turbo, are you concerned that the heat might at the least throw off the readings or at worse, melt the plastic?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Putting it right on the turbo, are you concerned that the heat might at the least throw off the readings or at worse, melt the plastic?
not really concerned with that, It will be close to the turbo, I think will have a combined 1 foot of pipe there, filter, a bit of pipe, MAF, a bit of pipe, turbo.