Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Calipers to go with: Raybestos, Cardone or Centric Parts?

As the title suggests, I would like to hear feedback from anyone dealing with the above listed manufacturers concerning rebuilt calipers as I plan on ordering and replacing all 4 of them this week. Figured it wouldn't hurt to hear any feedback regarding any good/bad that others may have had and their dealings with these brands. I was going to go with Raybestos but the Cardones look nicer... at least, from pictures. Any personal experience with either?

As a side note, I have no plans on getting my current ones rebuilt (maybe later for the other one) but I want it to be drop-in ready... just in case you're wondering.

EDIT: As being a reman. part, I would assume they are all the same across the board. However, their prices tend to vary dramatically which is why I ask and some appear to be a complete haul over on the caliper and some others not? I guess that is why I'm asking for advice from personal experience. Thanks

Last edited by Subix; 02-03-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: e
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Calipers to go with: Raybestos, Cardone or Centric Parts?

there are differences between rebuilt and remanufactured. make sure you are comparing like products when pricing. also many companies offer loaded calipers that are complete with bracket, hardware, and pad. others offer semi-loaded which is everything but the pad. others still sell calipers that are just the caliper. i would recommend to buy loaded calipers if you want drop in ready (you just bolt up the bracket and line) but would personally just buy caliper by itself so i could choose my own pads and don't want to replace the bracket and hardware if nothing is wrong with them. as far as looks, buy the cheapest and spray them with caliper paint.
all in all i would say just buy the cheapest calipers you can find or rebuild your own. i have seen lots of calipers from different manufacturers and they all are pretty similar. it's not like cardone or raybestos has a seperate facility that is making the square o-ring that goes around the piston. they all use the same parts and do the same process. for some reason the expensive ones seem more likely to put the bleeder on the wrong side of the caliper (so you get two lefts or two rights).
Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX
Calipers

Has anyone used Fenco Calipers from Advance Auto Parts. I need calipers and they are $46.99 each for the rears + $30 core and $69.99 each for fronts + $25 core
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for noting rebuilt vs. reman. After careful consideration amongst the three, I feel that Raybestos will be my best bet. So I will be getting the following remanufactured calipers:

Raybestos FRC10487 & FRC10488 (rears) includes hardware - pads not included. $120 for both shipped.
Raybestos RC10485NS & RC10486NS (front) includes hardware and pads. $225 for both shipped.

Zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors (set of four) - $180 shipped.
4 brake lines - $105 Shipped.

At this point I'm unsure what to really do with the extra 4 grindy calipers lying around as a result. Prices almost appear to be just as expensive if not more expensive to have a shop locally rebuild them than just buying them outright completely remanufactured and shipped without the core. Not to mention the crap rotors to kick out the door. Any ideas for what I should do with them or just toss them... is there something you can do about completely destroyed rotors that would benefit me in any way aside from just tossing them into the trash?

Annnnnd.... that's $630 of damage... or peace of mind... however you wish to look at it
It'll soon be followed up with some Continental DWS tires to nearly complete my expensively-euphoric brake and traction experience....
which will kick it up to just under the tune of $1,200 total damage.

Really though, that should set me up for many years to come with only the minor brake pad changes to keep things flowing smoothly.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Registered SVX

Im leaning toward buying the Fenco brand from my local Advance Auto. I had just posted in another thread if anyone has used these. They are pretty cheap $46.99 each for the rears and $69.99 each for the fronts plus core charges. These are semi loaded, Im using my own pads, Akebono ProAct which emit virtually no dust, Race Concepts drilled slotted rotors, and stainless lines. Have everything but the calipers. Then my car will be going down to OT for a complete engine reseal and head gaskets as preventive measure
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I got Centric re-manufactured, then painted them with the brush on caliper paint. Quite pleased. I feel the caliper paint is essential if you want to avoid the rusties.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM

Registered SVX

I heard from a local mechanic that Fenco calipers are most likley rebuilt OE units with the markings ground off. Anyone know for sure
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Registered SVX

You could send your calipers to Goldline. They do a full rebuild with a black, red, or silver polymer coating for around $600 shipped back to you.

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com/

They do all the work themselves. They have been refurbishing brakes for over 40 years. It's more but worth it, I think.

Untitled by dbarnblatt, on Flickr

Untitled by dbarnblatt, on Flickr
Old 02-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Registered SVX

$600 is steep. I can buy powder coated Nu-Geon calipers for $375 shipped for all four if I wanted and in five delicious colors
Old 02-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Registered SVX

all the reman or rebuilt calipers are original calipers. some companies grind the old names off some don't.