SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: series of problems ending w/locked transmision in park

Have you made any changes to the car? Radio installation or anything that may have affected some of the wiring behind the dash??
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM

The only recent change was from summer tires to snow tires but that shouldn't affect any of the problems. The snow tires are the same tires that I used last year and are mounted on stock rims, stock size. The car has 201,300+ miles so I guess it's time for some electrical gremlins to show up but I haven't changed anything except the oil/filters for more than a year. Been a perfect car since day one.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM

It sounds like there are some wiring issues in the dash somewhere. Pull up the schematics and see if the "Shift Lock Mechanism" shares any harness connectors with the HVAC system. Then look for wiring damage there.

In the mean time, take a set of allen wrenches and find the one that works best for pressing the shift lock button.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm really lost at this . The little cover is off and all I see is a screw w/what I thought was a Philips head but probably is an Allen key slot (determined this from a response to this thread). I can't seem to find the correct Allen Key size. I assume if I find the correct size, I need to loosen the screw but since other responses suggested a straightened paper clip or screw driver how does that work with an Allen screw? This is instead of the "button" but I don't see anything to move except the screw. I tried to poke around but nothing happened.People referred to a "button", which i could see in the photo for the older models but does anyone have a photo of a 94 model with the cover off? My camera's not working so I can't post a photo; maybe later I can borrow a camera.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

I haven actually done this on an SVX, but on most cars, you just pop off the little cover and stick something through the hole. Usually a key is small enough to work, if not a paperclip will fit. Maybe you just need to unscrew whatever's under there and then poke something down there?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Sorry, when I suggested an allen key I should have clarified. It is not made for an allen key, it is just a deep hole. You can't really see the button that you are pushing.

Like you mentioned though, it may be tough getting the handle of a screwdriver past the shifter handle, that is why I suggested an allen key.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 AM

Registered SVX

Could a bad ignition switch cause this type of problems (abs pump and fans both need lots of juice)?

Tapani
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
I'm really lost at this . The little cover is off and all I see is a screw w/what I thought was a Philips head but probably is an Allen key slot (determined this from a response to this thread). I can't seem to find the correct Allen Key size. I assume if I find the correct size, I need to loosen the screw but since other responses suggested a straightened paper clip or screw driver how does that work with an Allen screw? This is instead of the "button" but I don't see anything to move except the screw. I tried to poke around but nothing happened.People referred to a "button", which i could see in the photo for the older models but does anyone have a photo of a 94 model with the cover off? My camera's not working so I can't post a photo; maybe later I can borrow a camera.
The Shift Lock procedure is in the owner's manual.

There is no actual button. Find the procedure in the manual and read the following below. (From David Carter's website on radio replacement)

With the Ignition switch Off and key removed, follow the procedure (in your SVX Owners Manual) to manually release the Gearshift Selector Lever lock so you can move the lever to the 1st gear position.

Tip: To release the lock, you need to insert your screwdriver into the hole only about 1/2" below the sliding metal piece. The lock release mechanism is a metal lever just below the hole. It's possible for a small screwdriver to go past the lever to the side, so it helps to angle the tip of the screwdriver just a little towards the right (and the handle towards the left). When you touch the release lever, you should feel a slight springy resistance. Push it down just a little, then you'll be able to push the thumb button on the gearshift lever. While still holding the thumb button, remove the screwdriver, then move the gearshift down to 1st.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM

The gear lever finally unlocked by itself. I couldn't find a release lever/slot/button so I finally called for a roadside assist (no charge through my insurance), The driver came ready w/screwdriver but even he couldn't find a way to release the lever. Thankfully it just slide out of Park. I took some photos of the release hole while the lever was locked and I'll try to post later but I'm new at posting photos.My mechanic has never heard of this problem and doesn't want to tackle the problem so I'll probably have to take it to the dealer.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 AM

Ok, now i am having the same problems, with my car.
The did the shift lock mechanism override, so i could install my new radio. Then re-installed the screw for shift lever, put my car in park, it wont shift in to gear it stays in park. when i hit the button on the lever i can here a relay clicking noise, also my rear windows dont go up and down. my turn signal dont work eather.

Last edited by kjoyes; 05-26-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 AM

Registered SVX

Do you have your foot on the brake pedal ?

Some times I need to push the shifter forward (towards "park") before it releases. I think the cable needs a little adjustment.

Tapani
Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 AM

i have had this problem before i solve it buy pulling a fuse or a relay or something in the engine fuse box.
this is not a machanical issue i think it is electrical.
some thing is shorting out the car. maybe a safety feature so you dont drive the car. you till you fix it, i tried to unhook clip shift lock controller to see if it would reset. ???
but why would the back window not go up the problem is related to the shifter.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 PM

I never solved my problem because I bought another SVX. The old one is still sitting in my driveway because I need to replace the front struts but as for the shift lock, mine would eventually release the shift lever. When it had release the lever, I could get screw driver on the Philips screw head and then remove the screw. It's not possible to get the screwdriver onto the screw when it's in the Park position.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 PM

i got my back window to go up now but i still cant shift out of park!