Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-13-2002, 02:13 PM
alacrity024

Talk about a letdown..

Ugh..

My front-right CV joint has been clicking, and the boot on the left joint is torn, so I've been making an effort to get them fixed. I have to drive to Durham tonight, and didn't want to do so on a bad joint, so I brought the car in this morning to get the right axle replaced. Three hours after I drop it off, the shop calls me at work.

"We ordered the wrong axle.. sorry.. we should have the correct one here by 3 this afternoon."

3 o'clock rolls around and I call them back.. turns out that the second axle they recieved was identical to the first one. Well at this point I'm SOL. They tell me that they're going to have to call the local dealer and order the part from them, at which point the cost will be near $400 for the part alone.

Well I have been speaking with Marty over at Raxles and he's told me that he can provide me with a reman. CV axle for about $150. This sounds much more reasonable so I tell my mechanic to go $(#* himself and I'll take care of it myself, thankyouverymuch.

Well if things weren't bad enough already, I had asked them to pull all the heat shielding off of the exhaust while they had it on the lift, which they did.. However when I started it, the buzz was still there. Sounded like it was coming out of the front underside. Also, the left-hand bank (as you're leaning over the front bumper looking into the engine compartment) of fuel injectors seems to be clicking louder than the right bank.

So I'm driving to Durham tonight on a bad CV joint with a resonating catylitic converter and a noisy set of injectors. I suppose it could be a whole lot worse, but I'm pretty bummed out nonetheless..

Does anyone have any words of advice or encouragement? I'm tempted to replace the right axle and just sell the car and be done with it, but it's just so NICE..

-adam
Old 09-13-2002, 02:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Adam,

Take it nice & easy, put on a CD that you like, and enjoy the ride.
I'll keep my palms together, whisper a few words, and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Larry III
Old 09-13-2002, 02:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Adam, I'd recommend calling this place: http://www.cvaxles.com/. They have really low prices and they promise a quick turnaround. How's their work? I dunno - I ran out of time and I had to get the thing fixed NOW.

As for the injectors, unless you're noticing any hesitation or stumbling, I wouldn't worry about it. All of my Subarus click.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-13-2002, 02:40 PM
I_Alcyone_I

They probobly ordered axels for the WRX.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Adam,
I thought my ticking injectors were ticking lifters. They've been noisy since I got the car (the first one ). I've had no problems. Run some Chevron Techron through them on your trip. May quiten them down, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Dunno about the CV joint. I haven't had the pleasure of having to replace one yet.

If you're going to replace the CV anyway, don't worry too much about it. It probably won't fail on you, just might get noisier.

On my trip back from New York, in the car I bought up there, every little sound was a potential part falling off. Paranoia is an awful thing. I haven't had a problem with it since I pulled away from the PO's garage. Don't let it get you paranoid. Drive long, and prosper.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-13-2002, 11:28 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Never - ever - believe this statement!

"We ordered the wrong axle.. sorry.. we should have the correct one here by 3 this afternoon."
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-13-2002, 11:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Never - ever - believe this statement!

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
To go even further, you can pretty much discount the fact, these days, that you're going to take your car in and get it back the same day, especially when it's a dealer.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-14-2002, 02:03 PM
I_Alcyone_I

My mechanic kicks a$$, I always have my car back sooner than I expect and the whole car seems to run better when I get it back from minor repairs. Sometimes he even fixes stuff and doesn't charge me for it. I will always take my car to him.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Network Design Administrator

My machanic is the same(he rules), he removed mine, sent it off to be rebuilt, and got it back all in the same day and I had my car as good as new back @ 5PM... the rebuild and r&r cost about $215...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Lowered SVX

my mechanic sucks...........

he knows nothing and simply refuses to listen to me at all. i wish i had a good mechanic...........
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 09-16-2002, 12:18 PM

*gives Adam a hug*

hope it gets better really soon!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.