Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-09-2002, 04:22 PM
CopsodyX

Questions...

Hi all!

I got a full warranty on my car, so all of the following is covered, but I just wanted to get some stuff straight.

- If I need a new tranny, is it best to go to Subaru from the start and get a new or reman. one? Also, it goes without saying to use synthetic fluid, right?

- If my steering pump goes bad, is there a difference between the speed sensitive and RPM sensitive pumps, or is it electronic and the ECU tells the pump what to do?

- If my car is hesitating massively for no reason, and i tried cleaning the fuel system and the throttle body, and had a full Subaru 60,000 mile tuneup performed, and the problem keeps getting worse, what do I do?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 04:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Questions...

<<- If I need a new tranny, is it best to go to Subaru from the start and get a new or reman. one? Also, it goes without saying to use synthetic fluid, right?>>

You can only get a reman tranny for the SOA. Once the tranny is back in, only use synthetic. If you already have tranny with regular, do not flush it out with synthetic. It could kill your tranny. In another word, if it is working, don't touch it.

<<- If my steering pump goes bad, is there a difference between the speed sensitive and RPM sensitive pumps, or is it electronic and the ECU tells the pump what to do?>>

Usually, the pump does not go bad, your o-ring or the return hose from the rack go south. Replace them first. The o-ring is only 2 bucks or so and the "S-shaped" return hose is around 80ish.

<<- If my car is hesitating massively for no reason, and i tried cleaning the fuel system and the throttle body, and had a full Subaru 60,000 mile tuneup performed, and the problem keeps getting worse, what do I do?>>

It should help. But there are others who can answer you more since they have worked on their engines more than I did.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-10-2002, 07:15 PM
CopsodyX

Is there any particular dealer in the NY area that anyone would recommend for a tranny rebuild? Oh, and also for hesitation diagnosis?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:26 AM
Ca$h

The 'let sleeping transmissions lie' is a complete myth, and I don't know why people believe it. Click and Clack from car talk bash this 'myth' along with a few other ones on their website. Switch to synthetic.

- Ca$h
Old 09-11-2002, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Click and Clack from car talk bash this 'myth' along with a few other ones on their website. Switch to synthetic.
- Ca$h
Don't you think after owning 3 SVXes and screwing up a H-6 and a tranny would give me some experience in that field? Do you personally think Click and Clack knows in depth detail on the SVX than most of us here?

If a tranny is used, and used well, chances are the whole thing is held together by the metal filings from the tranny parts and the fluid. If you take the fluid out and flush it, those filings that hold the tranny together will go and your tranny will die! Period. Maybe not true in other cars but with a H-6 and our tranny, the torque from the engine will kill the tranny.

I am not starting this up to start an argument. I am just stating some fact with previous encounters.

To prove my point, Stanbu got a 96 SVX with 48k miles on her. Wonderful machine. The engine bay is so clean you can eat of it. It has a reman tranny from SOA. Why? The previous owner switched fluids and flushed the fluid to synthetic. Two days later, the tranny died. Also, look at my signature, Moneypit is there for a reason.

I am not saying synthetic is bad. Just flushing a working tranny is not a good thing.

-- Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 09-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Flushing tranny to change to sythetics

I have a friend who works for a company that supplies tranny flush machines to dealers and shops. He was telling me that at least 1 a week one of these shops calls him complaining that the machine killed a transmission even though that the machines manufacturer recommends that be used only for vehicles that have had this type of service done in place of the normal drain and fill from day one according to the car manufacturer's mantainance schedule. Its the dealers and shops that want to use it as often as possible so as they can bill for a hour of labor when in fact they only do 15 minutes of work. The machine that he sells is only a bladder system which uses the actual tranny pump to move the fluids out while many of the others have their own pump which has a higher psi rating than the transmission pump. This will force the shavings through the tranny and many of them will become lodged in places where they cannot get out.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:03 AM
Ca$h

Yes but draining the old fluid and replacing it with synthetic wouldn't hurt it would it?

- Ca$h
Old 09-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Fluids

That depends. The only Sythentic ATF that I found that said it was safe to mix with normal ATF was Mobil. If it doesn't say its compatable I wouldn't buy it but that's just me.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Ca$h

Well, switch to mobil then. Just don't flush your tranny.

- Ca$h
Old 09-11-2002, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yes but draining the old fluid and replacing it with synthetic wouldn't hurt it would it?

- Ca$h
If you do it slowly over time. No. But do it like a quart at a time over weeks.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Ca$h

Roger. Thanks Seraph. I'm not being sarcastic, you explained your point well, and I definitely don't want to risk having to get another tranny.

- Ca$h
Old 09-11-2002, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Roger. Thanks Seraph. I'm not being sarcastic, you explained your point well, and I definitely don't want to risk having to get another tranny.

- Ca$h
yepp. Put it this way, my SVX costs less than a reman tranny from SOA. How's that for prices?
Old 09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Now that the topic's settled, I'll throw in my 1.3 cents to stir the pot.

When I acquired my SVX, it had 142k on it, with the tranny being replaced at 80k. My mechanic flushed it and installed a tranny cooler, and put Redline ATF in it.

Car now as 182k, and tranny isn't toast.

Yet.

VK
Old 09-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Ca$h

Hrm. :|
Old 09-11-2002, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Now that the topic's settled, I'll throw in my 1.3 cents to stir the pot.

When I acquired my SVX, it had 142k on it, with the tranny being replaced at 80k. My mechanic flushed it and installed a tranny cooler, and put Redline ATF in it.

Car now as 182k, and tranny isn't toast.

Yet.

VK
I think it all depends on how damaged the tranny is to begin with.